Started by Radish, December 10, 2011, 03:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Typhoon Dragon?

Storm Dragon?

Rain Dragon?

Wave Dragon?

Sea Dragon? :drink:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Just did some instant research...."Sea Dragon" it is.....I'll defy anyone who tells me different!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko:

Mike Wren

Radish

Lol....actually, the Italeri kit might have AC-47 decals for that one....

Then the Airfix F-80 had Saggin' Dragon markings.... ;)

RussC

Quote from: Radish on December 13, 2011, 09:05:42 AM
Just did some instant research...."Sea Dragon" it is.....I'll defy anyone who tells me different!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko:

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

rickshaw

I wonder, does anybody have a three view of the Shenyang J-8 (not the later F-8) - the one with the nose intake.  I've found one which looks like someone has simply copied the Ye-152.  It doesn't look as wide as the preserved prototype photo on Wikipedia.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Radish on December 14, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

I've got a sheet of decals for a 1/72 B-24 called 'The Dragon and his tail', that'd be about the right size for a 1/48 modern jet..... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2011, 01:25:43 AM
Quote from: Radish on December 14, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

I've got a sheet of decals for a 1/72 B-24 called 'The Dragon and his tail', that'd be about the right size for a 1/48 modern jet..... ;)

Named for this Disney animated character

And of course:

And there were dozens of Dragon-Lady nose arts, from the 1930's to Iraqi freedom.

rickshaw

I like the "Dragon Lady" one. The surprised look on the Dragon's face is classic!   :thumbsup:

MilitaryAircraft101

RussC

That liberator was part of a bomb group with a prolific (to say the least!) unit artist and he turned a lot of 24's into some big billboard sized works, several of which went from nose to tail. The consolidated plane was a natural with its flat sides. Stationed on a tiny atoll, it was a great defence against going island-happy!
   This plane also underscores why nose art was controversial and took a long postwar holiday, appeared for short times during actual campaigns and are now trying to break out of the drive to go to invisibility schemes with officially sanctioned schemes like Tiger Meet, JASDF 50th anniversary, and the various display teams. You knew the Soviet Union was gone when you saw that Mig 25 with a sharkmouth on it!

As what-if builders, we should consider "Agressive Equipment Personalization" in our daily design brainstorming.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on December 16, 2011, 12:04:15 AM
The Dragon and His Tail...

That's the one! That decal sheet is the largest one I have, even including all the 1/144 airliner stuff.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MilitaryAircraft101

Quote from: RussC on December 16, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
nose art was controversial
Still is apparently, as the UK MOD has banned the RAF's aircraft carrying non-squadron markings, as some are "demeaning to women"  :blink: Oh well, just makes the yawn darts even yawnier  :banghead:

rickshaw

The piper pipes the tune of those that are payin... ;)

rickshaw

Pulling the thread back online, The Boys and Girls own Book of Knowledge has this to say about Chinese Dragons:

Chinese literature and myths refer to many dragons besides the famous long. The linguist Michael Carr analyzed over 100 ancient dragon names attested in Chinese classic texts.[14] Many such Chinese names derive from the suffix -long:

* Tianlong (Chinese: 天龍; pinyin: tiānlóng; Wade–Giles: t'ien-lung; literally "heavenly dragon"), celestial dragon that guards heavenly palaces and pulls divine chariots; also a name for Draco (constellation)
    * Shenlong (Chinese: 神龍; pinyin: shénlóng; Wade–Giles: shen-lung; literally "god dragon"), thunder god that controls the weather, appearance of a human head, dragon's body, and drum-like stomach
    * Fucanglong (Chinese: 伏藏龍; pinyin: fúcánglóng; Wade–Giles: fu-ts'ang-lung; literally "hidden treasure dragon"), underworld guardian of precious metals and jewels, associated with volcanoes
    * Dilong (Chinese: 地龍; pinyin: dìlóng; Wade–Giles: ti-lung; literally "earth dragon"), controller of rivers and seas; also a name for earthworm
    * Yinglong (Chinese: 應龍; pinyin: yìnglóng; Wade–Giles: ying-lung; literally "responding dragon"), winged dragon associated with rains and floods, used by Huangdi to kill Chi You
    * Jiaolong (Chinese: 蛟龍; pinyin: jiāolóng; Wade–Giles: chiao-lung; literally "crocodile dragon"), hornless or scaled dragon, leader of all aquatic animals
    * Panlong (Chinese: 蟠龍; pinyin: pánlóng; Wade–Giles: p'an-lung; literally "coiled dragon"), lake dragon that has not ascended to heaven
    * Huanglong (Chinese: 黃龍; pinyin: huánglóng; Wade–Giles: huang-lung; literally "yellow dragon"), hornless dragon symbolizing the emperor
    * Feilong (Chinese: 飛龍; pinyin: fēilóng; Wade–Giles: fei-lung; literally "flying dragon"), winged dragon that rides on clouds and mist; also a name for pterosaur (compare Feilong kick and Fei Long character)
    * Qinglong (Chinese: 青龍; pinyin: qīnglóng; Wade–Giles: ch'ing-lung; literally "Azure Dragon"), the animal associated with the East in the Chinese Four Symbols, mythological creatures in the Chinese constellations
    * Qiulong (Chinese: 虯龍; pinyin: qíulóng; Wade–Giles: ch'iu-lung; literally "curling dragon"), contradictorily defined as both "horned dragon" and "hornless dragon"
    * Chilong (Chinese: 螭龍; pinyin: chīlóng; Wade–Giles: ch'ih-lung; literally "demon dragon"), a hornless dragon or mountain demon

Fewer Chinese dragon names derive from the prefix long-:

* Longwang (Chinese: 龍王; pinyin: lóngwáng; Wade–Giles: lung-wang; literally "Dragon Kings") divine rulers of the Four Seas
    * Longma (Chinese: 龍馬; pinyin: lóngmǎ; Wade–Giles: lung-ma; literally "dragon horse"), emerged from the Luo River and revealed Bagua (concept) to Fu Xi

Some additional Chinese dragons are not named with long 龍, for instance,

* Hong (Chinese: 虹; pinyin: hóng; Wade–Giles: hung; literally "rainbow"), a two-headed dragon or rainbow serpent
    * Shen (Chinese: 蜃; pinyin: shèn; Wade–Giles: shen; literally "giant clam"), a shapeshifting dragon or sea monster believed to create mirages
    * Bashe (Chinese: 巴蛇; pinyin: bāshé; Wade–Giles: pa-she; literally "ba snake") was a giant python-like dragon that ate elephants
    * Teng (Chinese: 螣; pinyin: téng; Wade–Giles: t'eng) or Tengshe (simplified Chinese: 腾蛇; traditional Chinese: 騰蛇; pinyin: téngshé; Wade–Giles: t'eng-she; lit. "soaring snake") is a flying dragon without legs

Chinese scholars have classified dragons in diverse systems. For instance, Emperor Huizong of Song canonized five colored dragons as "kings".

* The Azure Dragon [Qinglong 青龍] spirits, most compassionate kings.
    * The Vermillion Dragon [Zhulong 朱龍] spirits, kings that bestow blessings on lakes.
    * The Yellow Dragon [Huanglong 黃龍] spirits, kings that favorably hear all petitions.
    * The White Dragon [Bailong 白龍] spirits, virtuous and pure kings.
    * The Black Dragon [Xuanlong 玄龍] spirits, kings dwelling in the depths of the mystic waters.[15]

With the addition of the Yellow Dragon of the Center to Azure Dragon of the East, these Vermillion, White, and Black Dragons coordinate with the Four Symbols, including the Vermilion Bird of the South, White Tiger of the West, and Black Tortoise of the North.

It also points out that in Chinese folklore, Dragons are seen as benevolent and are much revered, even today and relates how:

It is a taboo to disfigure a depiction of a dragon; for example, an advertisement campaign commissioned by Nike, which featured the American basketball player LeBron James slaying a dragon (as well as beating up an old Kung Fu master), was immediately banned by the Chinese government after public outcry over disrespect.[4]

So don't assume that the Western cultural view of Dragons would be used to decorate a Chinese fighter!