De Havilland Vixen FAW.Mk.2a

Started by Knightflyer, December 11, 2011, 01:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Excellent!   :thumbsup: ;D

Which Squadron is that from?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Not just a "should have been", but I like the reversion to medium sea grey/green camo. Magnificent! :thumbsup:

Weaver

One of my favorite "should have beens", not being a fan of the Dragmaster: well done!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Knightflyer

Hi All

She's operated by 85 squadron in 1963. Actually part of a comparative trial with the Javelin, the camouflage was a subtle way of showing the powers that be how out of date they were. 85 squadron were in fact to finished flying front-line operations this year, and to receive this de navalised (Sea) Vixen 'upset' a few people.

Kevin (the guy sitting drinking tea a table away from his heroes PR_19 and Radish at Coventry ...... :bow:)

Captain Canada

Nice ! One of those aeroplanes I still need to build.....probably just like that !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on December 11, 2011, 10:21:55 PM
Kevin (the guy sitting drinking tea a table away from his heroes PR_19 and Radish at Coventry ...... :bow:)

Oh for goodness sake!  ;D

Why didn't you come over and say hello then? More to the point, where was the Sea Vixen FAW Mk 2a that day?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Very nice, I'm another who wants to do a Vixen in RAF colours.  I also think it 'shoud've-been' as it was the front runner between the two aircraft during the testing, and if one of the prototypes hadn't broken up during it's demonstration flight at the '52 Farnborough Airshow, probably would've been. 

Recently (at least in the last couple of years  ;D ), in one of the Air-Britain magazines I subscribe too, there was an article about the Vixen prototypes and it says that the RAF (or Air Ministry) had insisted that the wing strakes be removed before the show weekend or something to that affect.  It was determined later during the following investigation as to why the aircraft broke up ( crashing into the spectators with 80 odd fatalities), that the wing failed at the point where the strakes were usually positioned.  Reading between the lines, I think the reason that the Vixen wasn't picked was more because the fatalities were still fresh in joe-publics minds so the RAF went with the Javelin instead.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Love it  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Knightflyer on December 11, 2011, 10:21:55 PM
Hi All

I've heard Rad called some thngs before but hero..... :rolleyes: ;D (I do know what you mean though, because they are both about as old as the origional Greek ones)  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 12, 2011, 06:46:25 AM
(I do know what you mean though, because they are both about as old as the origional Greek ones)  :wacko:

But at least we wear clothes.............  ;D

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Well the Vixen was only 2/7th built on the Sunday of Coventry...(at that point it could have still become a SEA Vixen!)

Yes I suppose admitting to having Radish as hero in public is not wise! I think you count as 'fairly respectable' Kit!

I haven't read up on it, but I'm presuming that the Sea Vixen was (or certainly a land based lightened Vixen would have been) a better performer than the Javelin

Weaver

Flight performance was roughly equal (I think), but the Sea Vixen was more maneuverable, partly because it had fewer vices and restrictions so the pilot could "just fly it" more.

The big problem with the DH.110 (Sea Vixen) development was tha that the treasury insisted on cutting the number of prototypes down from something like 17 to 2, which stretched out the development period and lead to the lamentably late in-service date. Had they had more prototypes getting though the flight-test program faster, the problem that caused the crash might have been identified earlier and even if it was found the hard way, at least it wouldn't have taken a gaggle of innocents with it, in public.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Knightflyer

Yes I've read about the air crash in 'Empire of the Clouds' as well as other places. The late in-service date nearly did for me, I had trouble fitting my D.H. Vixen into history....that'll teach me to choose the decals BEFORE the back story. Still it wouldn't be a whiff otherwise!

As for development...I read recently (when trying to pin down that date) that basically the RAF were just one big test flying establishment for the Javelin as it evolved. I know missile carrying came fairly late to Javelins, did Sea Vixens carry them from the start?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on December 12, 2011, 09:31:15 AM
I think you count as 'fairly respectable' Kit!

Mrs PR19 is looking suitably gob-smacked at that thought..........  ;D ;) :lol:

As for the DH 110 crash at Farnborough, I'm sad to say I witnessed it first hand. My Uncle, my Dad and I were about 100 yards to the east of the impact and I can clearly remember it all in slow motion, even though I was only 9 (and 3/4) at the time.

Regards
Kit