Airliners - future uses & brands

Started by raafif, December 12, 2011, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

couldn't find a suitable existing topic to cover all types of airliners so here goes ...

what happens to old airliners ?  Well, a lot end up as freighters.  I used to work with a guy who repaired DC-3s that were used to transport cattle & goats in 3rd world countries -- he says they usually lasted about 3 years before the floors (& structure underneath) needed total replacement due to corrosion from the obvious.

Not sure this refers to people or animal carriage tho  ;D
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

RussC

Maybe the composite floors in the modern airliners will hold up to the obvious a bit better.

You have actually hit on something here, as the passenger airlines treat the customers much like cattle (Veal) as well !  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

If turning a passenger jet to a bovine carrier, think about wider doors.

A nearby aircraft restorer here is working on old eastern bloc Antonov 2's and says that every panel removed yields dried pig-poop and chicken feathers, woven and slow baked into a wonderful composite that was likely holding some of them together as airworthy.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

McColm

My shares in gaffer tape just went up.

raafif

Quote from: RussC on December 13, 2011, 01:35:34 AM
Maybe the composite floors in the modern airliners will hold up to the obvious a bit better.

You have actually hit on something here, as the passenger airlines treat the customers much like cattle (Veal) as well !  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

If turning a passenger jet to a bovine carrier, think about wider doors.

A nearby aircraft restorer here is working on old eastern bloc Antonov 2's and says that every panel removed yields dried pig-poop and chicken feathers, woven and slow baked into a wonderful composite that was likely holding some of them together as airworthy.

Adding bigger doors (& other mods) now -- did that first profile in a rush.

Be interesting to see if urine affects the glues in composite structures.  I know from working on aircraft lost in the jungle for 60yrs that just water, acid-soils & plant-sap can have either no, or enormous, effects, as can tri-metal corrosion from just humidity.

Hope to fly in an A380 soon -- pehaps it's quieter than a Yumbo Yet - maybe the seats are (slightly) bigger too ??
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

scooter

Quote from: raafif on December 12, 2011, 08:01:20 PM
couldn't find a suitable existing topic to cover all types of airliners so here goes ...

what happens to old airliners ?  Well, a lot end up as freighters.  I used to work with a guy who repaired DC-3s that were used to transport cattle & goats in 3rd world countries -- he says they usually lasted about 3 years before the floors (& structure underneath) needed total replacement due to corrosion from the obvious.

Not sure this refers to people or animal carriage tho  ;D

Got one word for ya- MOooooo!  Steerage class passengers were treated better on ships than with the airlines.  Although, I have to admit, with one exception, the absolutely worst flights I've been on were Government contracted.  Ok...UA volunteering to fly us to Kuwait via Frankfurt in 05 wasn't too bad...except for the pen that was set up at Frankfurt, and we had to fly with our kit and rifle.  :-\  The rotater to Iceland was an old NWA 727-100 that would stop in Goose Bay for gas.  Had a kid sitting next to me kicking me the whole time, and the charter from Kuwait was just as bad.  Except for the stop in Shannon.  Never saw a DC-10 deplane that fast before in my life.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Quote from: raafif on December 13, 2011, 02:53:13 PM
- maybe the seats are (slightly) bigger too ??

... only if the airline ordered bigger seats from the seat supplier.  ;D

rickshaw

This is, in my opinion the solution to future air travel needs!

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

rickshaw

Quote from: MiB on December 13, 2011, 04:39:46 PM
Too much slow

Other airliners - too much hurry!  ;D

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

McColm

I suppose fitting turbo props to the Zepplin would defeat the purpose?

rickshaw

Nope.  Of course it wouldn't but it may be a bit of an overkill WRT to weight versus the HP produced.

I'd actually recommend electric motors instead, fed by solar arrays utilising the newly announced nano particle systems.