Refurbished Fighter Weapons

Started by Zombolt, December 15, 2011, 12:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Zombolt on December 18, 2011, 05:54:05 PM
Had another Idea, I still have that unbuilt B-17 from my other two threads, how about making it into a poor man's Missile Bomber?? Replace the bomb bay with fuel and electronics, and hang one or two Anti ship missiles, and use a external mounted radar for guidance?

Be interesting to see it with external radar and a couple of early "guided missiles" like the BAT ones (hope I've got the acronym right)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MilitaryAircraft101

This is sooo close to what I mean by TIME WARPING IT! This is exactly what we want over in the TB. I have a hunter backdated to WW1 and a Me-163 updated to the Cold War, imagine a B-17 in the mid 60-70s or so! Would be great to see you come over Zombolt  :party:

scooter

Turbo-prop'd Sunderlands flying about in RAF Rescue Yellow and RN low viz markings with a dipping sonar and Spearfish under the wings.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Zombolt

I Accidentally a story, a Whole story.

But can an Exocet Missile fit on a B-17?

scooter

Quote from: Zombolt on December 19, 2011, 04:37:24 PM

From Wikipedia:

Exocet ASM:
Weight   670 kilograms (1,500 lb)
Length   4.7 metres (15 ft 5 in)
Diameter   34.8 centimetres (1 ft 1.7 in)

Harpoon ASM:
Weight   1,523 lb (691 kg) with booster
Length   Air launched: 12.6 ft (3.8 m); Surface and submarine launched: 15 ft (4.6 m)
Diameter   1.1 ft (0.34 m)

So, yes a B-17 should theoretically be able to carry a pair of Exocets or Harpoons.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

wagnersm

Quote from: scooter on December 19, 2011, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: Zombolt on December 19, 2011, 04:37:24 PM

From Wikipedia:

Exocet ASM:
Weight   670 kilograms (1,500 lb)
Length   4.7 metres (15 ft 5 in)
Diameter   34.8 centimetres (1 ft 1.7 in)

Harpoon ASM:
Weight   1,523 lb (691 kg) with booster
Length   Air launched: 12.6 ft (3.8 m); Surface and submarine launched: 15 ft (4.6 m)
Diameter   1.1 ft (0.34 m)

So, yes a B-17 should theoretically be able to carry a pair of Exocets or Harpoons.

I wonder if they could be tucked under the wings of a P-38.  Light enough, but might be a little long. 

Zombolt

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on December 19, 2011, 12:24:49 PM
Would be great to see you come over Zombolt  :party:
What do you mean?

(sorry for being a little off topic)

James

A Mossie and a Tiffie are just asking to be done in the RAFs pink Gulf War scheme.  :wacko:

Zombolt

This is not just for paint jobs, it is also operators and weapons. Everywhere has a shot!

Like in my story, the Argentinians using what ever planes they have and using a few bought WW2 bombers to get a loitering missile platform/recon bird to support the Super E's.

Daryl J.

I picked up a CyberHobby (orange box) Ju-88 to refit something akin to a USAF Skyraider in SEA.     I've just been too crazy busy at work this past year to do near *anything* hobby oriented.

kerick

This surely has possibilities.  Truth being not far from fiction the Piper Enforcer was an attempt by Piper Aircraft to offer a modernized turboprop Mustang for CAS and COIN operations back in the 80's.  The USAF tested it but demanded it carry two 30mm gunpods, which gave it the roll rate of a 707.  They didn't really want it and being rejected by the US nobody overseas would buy it.  Now with a pair of Hellfire under each wing and 25mm chainguns instead of 50 cal. it might just kick butt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpg
I've always wondered how a turboprop, bubble top Corsair would have turned out.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

andrewj

Perhaps a turbo-prop engined Spitfire  would fit the bill.

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on December 20, 2011, 07:17:57 PM
I've always wondered how a turboprop, bubble top Corsair would have turned out.

It would probably need a submarine-sized periscope for the pilot to see over the nose for landing.... ;D ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

James

Quote from: Zombolt on December 20, 2011, 10:18:16 AM
This is not just for paint jobs, it is also operators and weapons. Everywhere has a shot!

Like in my story, the Argentinians using what ever planes they have and using a few bought WW2 bombers to get a loitering missile platform/recon bird to support the Super E's.

Yeah, turbo-prop Tiffies with Brimstone under the wings - those 20mm would be handy in Afghanistan I'd imagine. Mossies with a designater in the bomb bay and a few 500lb Paveway IIs under the wings.  :thumbsup: