1/72 Airfix Swordfish

Started by Daryl J., December 15, 2011, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

I cannot wait to see what happens over the next several years as the new Swordfish cycles through Whiffery Circles.   :cheers:

Daryl J.
PS: If there's a better place for the subject, feel free to move it.  However, I'm not intending this as a Swordfish idea generation thread, just sharing some enthusiasm for what appears to be a brilliant effort on Airfix' part. 

The Rat

Engine upgrade would be the most obvious one, P&W Twin Wasp maybe?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on December 15, 2011, 04:01:40 PM
Engine upgrade would be the most obvious one, P&W Twin Wasp maybe?

Go the whole hog and stick a Centaurus on there! Then Blackburn wouldn't have to bother with the Firebrand.....  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Monoplane? It could have made a dive bomber in the Stuka or PZL 23 Karas mould.  It's not quite a straight Swordfish monoplane, but a proposal made around the same time.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9997.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Now where's BdB when you want him ? Spats oh glorious spats  :thumbsup:

That's a nice find Mossie, thanks for sharing
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

> Spats oh glorious spats<

Actually, such extended coverings of the landing gear are NOT "Spats", but known as "trousers". "Spats" are just wheel-covers (think of the wheels as "feet"). "Trousers" cover the struts as well (think of them as the "legs").
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

tigercat

I'm tempted to cross a couple of Swordfish with a Heyford

philp

Quote from: tigercat on December 29, 2011, 12:51:58 PM
I'm tempted to cross a couple of Swordfish with a Heyford

Don't think that is legal, at least on this side of the pond.

Like the monoplane idea but the Airfix kits will get the RW treatment from me.  Now the Revell/Matchbox kits in the stash...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Joe C-P

I've had one for a while, but cannot decide what to do with it. I've consider USN and IJN, but those just didn't feel whiffey enough.
There is the "WW2 starts in the Pacific in 1933" idea someone proposed, for which I've a bipe Helldiver and the colours for a late-war three-tone; perhaps a Swordfish in late-war RN colours? Or maybe Dutch Indonesian colours and markings, if there were such?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

tigercat

NARSES2

Quote from: JoeP on January 08, 2012, 01:22:28 PM
Or maybe Dutch Indonesian colours and markings, if there were such?

The Dutch Far East AF's used the orange triangle in 1941. By the end of the war they had moved to a marking which was basically the Dutch national flag.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Habbaniya-based ground attack? Soviet lend-lease? Impounded (or otherwise) Irish Air Corps? Greek?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

TBH, I wouldn't waste the new Airfix Swordfish by cutting it up and adding bits.  It's too nice a kit to do that.  In addition, the Revell boxing of the old Matchbox one is at least half the price and was the best Swordfish on the market.

All I'll be doing is a simple change of markings - Glorious for the Tarranto raid that was planned for late '37 but didn't happen or an aircraft from HMS Oceanic.

A Rumanian or Bulgarian Letov S.328 with a torpedo might be more worth a spin though.  A Portugese Swordfish is plausible - they did have the Blackburn Shark.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

philp

Hmmm...
Maybe a Dwarfish version going after some Ork tin cans.

But what markings?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

cataphractarius

Got myself one the other day - what a lovely kit - and instantly wondered about a civilian conversion; after WW1 Brisfits and DH9s were sold off to the civilian market and did quite a good job there.

One might think of a production run of, say 10-15 aircraft, originally ordered by some undisclosed South American customer who happened to have a sudden and violent regime change in 1937-1938, so Fairy was left with these aircraft. RN didn't want them (perhaps because of a different engine?), so they sold them off to civilians.

Might even fit to the Pulp wargaming we sometimes do - the aircraft of one our heroes, a Brisfit, recently had an, uhm, rather unfortunate landing accident...  ;) Might just as well replace it...
The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.