Main Menu

F-111B

Started by Firefox, December 21, 2011, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Didn't Academy do an F-111 of some sort?

I have, or had, an EF-111 Raven kit that I thought was by Academy, but it's ages since I've seen it. Or maybe it was Monogram?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 25, 2011, 02:43:24 AM

I have, or had, an EF-111 Raven kit that I thought was by Academy, but it's ages since I've seen it. Or maybe it was Monogram?

This one is the 1/72 Monogram one

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Hm, that's interesting too. The Monogram EF-111A has TPI intakes, so it looks like they converted them from the original F-111As rather than build new.

So much for the plans to use one for a late F-111B.  :banghead:

From memory converting the Revell F-111A to TPII intakes wasn't too bad, the main difficulty was building up the outer edge of the intake lip as the whole intake is translated outward from the fuselage quite a distance. Extending the spike was relatively easy, I think I used a Sidewinder inserted at the rear of the kit spike and PSR'd it to death.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

bearmatt

Hmmmm...
@ pr19 kit :)
I think that you should modify your signature... ;)

"Any F-111 kit can be modified. You just have to add / remove the intake plows"

(btw: this all starts to scare me to build ANY aardvark... :).    )

I didn't really deal with the F-111 (FB-111..) so far, but now it seems to
me at least as complicated as F-16's...

I read and I learn... And I'm very curious to discover more about it!  :o
The carpet monster took it!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: bearmatt on December 25, 2011, 04:09:21 PM
Hmmmm...
@ pr19 kit :)
I think that you should modify your signature... ;)

"Any F-111 kit can be modified. You just have to add / remove the intake plows"

Hehehe, I may have one more F-111 in my future, but I'm not doing any more of those intake mods, thank you very much! It'll have to come already converted OOB!

Regards
Kit

Gondor

The mods for the intakes was why I picked the FB-111A or F-111G to base my build on as it has the long wings and the correct intakes for the first production aircraft.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Firefox

My latest progress. It's also my first time use of air brush. Not as easy as I thought... I followed the Hasegawa F-14 colour scheme, only to realize that the scheme was for pre-90's and the grey is gloss  :(. I think the later Tomcat has a darker shade of grey.

MilitaryAircraft101

Quote from: Firefox on December 27, 2011, 08:34:14 PM
My latest progress. It's also my first time use of air brush. Not as easy as I thought... I followed the Hasegawa F-14 colour scheme, only to realize that the scheme was for pre-90's and the grey is gloss  :(. I think the later Tomcat has a darker shade of grey.

FIRST TIME  :o :o :o Amazing job mate! that is one beauty of a model!  :cheers: :cheers:

tc2324

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Scheme looks great to me. For a `first time` job, that is excellent work. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Overkiller (aka Buffy) on December 25, 2011, 02:57:33 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 25, 2011, 02:43:24 AM

IIRC Academy's Aardvark's are 1/48 scale.

The 1/72 EF-111A Raven may be Monogram, I have one in the stash. Italeri also do the EF-111A.

:cheers:

Duncan

The Italeri kit will be ex-ESCI.  IIRC, they did do one.  Easy to tell them apart.  Monogram = raised pabel lines, ESCI = recessed.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

FAR148

Quote from: Firefox on December 27, 2011, 08:34:14 PM

Great first airbrush job Firefox  :thumbsup:
But worry about the gloss grey, you could always shoot a coat of future for decals and another to seal them. If you do, let the future cure for at least 24 hours before decaling and at least 12 hours for the decals to dry before sealing them.

Keep up the good work,
Steven L :cheers:

Firefox

Almost there... Thanks Steven. Would clear coat harm the decals? Don't think I could find future here.

MilitaryAircraft101

:o WONDERFUL! WHIFFGASM  ;) Maybe the first "Whiffies" entry for 2012?  :drink: Unless you can pull it off in 8 hours (or 32 depending if you live in some far off place  ;D)

FAR148

QuoteWould clear coat harm the decals?

If your decals are dry, no. The clear coat should not harm the decals. No future, most model paint companies makes a clear gloss of some sort. I like to lay down a gloss coat before I start decaling. (Decals like smooth glossy surfaces ;) ) Next I apply all my decals and let dry for at least 12 hours. Then I seal them with another gloss coat to protect them from a panel line wash. Then a final flat or gloss coat. Hope that helps.

She is looking pretty cool!
Steven L :wub:

Old Wombat

Firefox, knowing where you are would help ; however, if you're in Australia, we have "Pledge One-Go" which seems to be pretty much the same thing as "Future". :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est