RLM to Humbrol equivalents

Started by Weaver, December 30, 2011, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, but of input needed here folks...

I've just started a PM Messerschmitt P.1111, and I'm trying to figure out what colours to paint it. The instructions, and every equivalence table I can find, including the usual well-respected on-line sources, either give contradictory cross-references (i.e. the Revell "equivalent" looks nothing like the Tamiya "equivalent") or a range of options covering several significantly different shades.

The suggested colours are:

RLM 81 Braunviolett (splinter on the wings)

RLM 82/83* Dunkelgrun (splinter on wings and mottle on fuselage) *The instructions say RLM 82 but this appears to be a misprint since RLM 82 was Lichtgrun not Dunkelgrun, although some colour charts show the two as being almost identical (see what I mean?)

RLM 76 Hellgrau (undersides and mottle base on fuselage)

What are your suggestions for the best Humbrol enamel equivalents for these?

I know full well that RLM codes are a contentious minefield and that shades changed over time and in the transition from theory to practice. I don't particularly want to be super-JMN-correct about it (since it's a Luft'46 Whiff anyway), I just want a bit of input from those more experienced in such matter than I am before I make a decision.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

This conversion chart allows you to convert from RLM to Humbrol directly.

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on December 31, 2011, 01:11:14 AM
This conversion chart allows you to convert from RLM to Humbrol directly.

Yes, that's one of the things I've looked at. The trouble is, it gives many alternatives for each RLM colour, some of which are radically different from each other. For instance:

RLM 81 Braunviolett :

Paint4models chart: FS 10049, Hu:98 Chocolate, Hu:20 Crimson or Hu:9 Tan

IPMS Stockholm: FS 30045, 34087, 30118 or 34088,

3 parts Hu:150 + 2 parts Hu:33
OR
3 parts Hu:163 + 4 parts Hu:108 + 3 parts Hu:33
OR
85%*Hu:173  + 9%*Hu:153 + 6%*Hu:85, Hu:155)

Instructions: FS34087, Hu:155, Revell 66*

Humbrol:  Revell 66 = Hu:66 Matt Olive Drab ( :blink: :unsure:)

Do you see why my head exploded now?  :banghead:

Basically, I want the opinions and experience of people who build German WWII stuff - what LOOKS right, basically.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Look out, you'll start thinking in those darned RLM numbers if you're not careful!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quite a few of the RLM colours actually changed more or less over the years due to availability of ingredients, local adaptations in different theatres etc so there is no real facit to turn to unless you really want to pin down an exact location at a certain date. If so, God help your soul, mate..   ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

TsrJoe

If its for your current 1111 project, the wings and tail fin of the flown RAE. komet were repainted in dark green, probably the standard RAF. colour, with the undersurfaces in yellow ! might add even more colour to your model and tie it closer with the actual Komet ?

Cheers, joe

Ps, the fuselage remained in RLM.76 with green and brownish RLM. coloured overspray!
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

Quote from: TsrJoe on December 31, 2011, 05:53:31 AM
If its for your current 1111 project, the wings and tail fin of the flown RAE. komet were repainted in dark green, probably the standard RAF. colour, with the undersurfaces in yellow ! might add even more colour to your model and tie it closer with the actual Komet ?

Cheers, joe

Ps, the fuselage remained in RLM.76 with green and brownish RLM. coloured overspray!

Cheers Joe. The RAE Komet seems to have a mini-debate of it's own going, all the available pics being black and white. Some souces claim the underside was yellow (presumably Trainer Yellow) and others that it was left RLM 76. Some sources have the fuselage in RAF cammo, others have it left in RLM 76-based "squiggle" with an RAF dark green band across the middle, while still others have it untouched. There's also no agreement about the "squiggle", with some showing "worms" and others showing "patches".

When you get to the wings, I've seen at least four versions:

1. Overall light grey with one big patch of RAF dark green sprayed across both wings and the centre fuselage,

2. Complete re-spray in RAF dark green/brown cammo,

3. Untouched RLM 81/83 splinter,

4. RLM 81/83 splinter, partly oversprayed and "roundified" with RAF green/brown.

Option 4 appeals to me because it tells a story: it was presumably done (if it was done) to cover the wing crosses, which seems logical since one of the few points of agreement is that the front part of the fin was sprayed RAF dark green (presumably to cover the swastikas). The placement of the fuselage roundels was certainly dictated by covering the crosses: you can see them showing through even on the B & Ws...

- Indiana Jones

TsrJoe

Undersurfaces definately look to have been repainted yellow, i agree theres room for debate re the upper repainting colour used, when i modelled the aircraft i went for a best guess from photos of the aircraft which i interpreted as a plain overpaint as seen on the tail. Again guessing but it being a small airframe i cant see the RAE. chaps applying camouflage as such, kindv pointless unless repainting the whole aircraft? again all surmisation, anything goes really as based on black and white imagery :)

Cheers, joe

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kitnut617

There's a colour photo of one of the Me.163's that RAE tested in the book 'War Prizes' by Phil Butler printed in 1994 and reprinted 1998 (got a copy of this one) . It looks like the paint was left as they found it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Okay, having done some more research on the colour equivalence issue (i.e. looked at a variety of kit instructions), I've come to the following important conclusions:

1. It's all a load of bollocks (because nobody really knows anyway)
2. It's all a load of bollocks (because the colours changed over time)
3. It's all a load of bollocks (because some of the colours are so dark that you'd have to lighten them for "scale colour" anyway)

I have therefore issued an Imperial Declaration that in all the realms over which my writ runs, RLM 81 Brunviolett is Hu:98 Chocolate, RLM 83 Dunkelgrun is Hu.116 US Dark Green and RLM 76 Hellgrau is Hu:65 Aircraft Blue, and thus shall it ever be so, and those who yearn for anguished debate upon the matter canst gird themselves and go forth with haste and precision. Amen.

Thank you for your input. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

Pellson

Quote from: Weaver on January 01, 2012, 08:56:48 AM
Okay, having done some more research on the colour equivalence issue (i.e. looked at a variety of kit instructions), I've come to the following important conclusions:

3. It's all a load of bollocks (because some of the colours are so dark that you'd have to lighten them for "scale colour" anyway)

I have therefore issued an Imperial Declaration that in all the realms over which my writ runs, RLM 81 Brunviolett is Hu:98 Chocolate, RLM 83 Dunkelgrun is Hu.116 US Dark Green and RLM 76 Hellgrau is Hu:65 Aircraft Blue, and thus shall it ever be so, and those who yearn for anguished debate upon the matter canst gird themselves and go forth with haste and precision. Amen.

Well spoken! :bow:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

TsrJoe

No worries, i was going to check with Phil Butler and the FAST. archives re the scheme (there is surviving colour imagery of a lot of the captured German evaluation aircraft) but as you rightly say doesnt.matter, its all subjective anyway  :mellow: def disagree with conclusions 1 and 2 tho  :wacko:

Cheers, joe

Weaver

Cheers Joe. :thumbsup:  There's no point getting bogged down in the issues around what the RAE Komet was really like, since I'm not making one; I'm making an RAE Me.1111. I was really more interested in the personal opinions of folk who make Luftwaffe stuff as to what colours to use to represent the "standard" RLM ones, but it seems so open to interpretation that I've just picked easy options (no mixing!) that look about right to me.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

The colours you've chosen are the ones I was going to suggest Weaver, just not been around to much over the last couple of days, sorry mate

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 01, 2012, 09:10:37 AM

Well spoken! :bow:

Here, here and just to add my two-pennies worth, different people "see" the same colour differently, and I'm not just talking about colour blindness and men v women either.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.