Previous topic - Next topic

saintkatanalegacy

still a work in progress...

basically a simplified version with less albeit bigger parts

Ivylicious!™

rickshaw

Tube loading, I take it?

Still caseless?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

saintkatanalegacy

same vertical loading, same ammo
Ivylicious!™

rickshaw

Then I misread the drawing.  OK, I assume you've fixed the cook-off problem?

saintkatanalegacy

Well, I made modifications with the breech: Copper heatsink with oblong heatpipe; plan on adding a small turbine to feed air into the central heatpipe.
Ivylicious!™

rickshaw

If you're going to that sort of trouble, why not do a proper heatpipe with the funny cooling powder inside, as used in electronics?

Alternatively, you could make it liquid cooled.  Put the radiator in the butt.  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on January 01, 2012, 03:52:32 AM
If you're going to that sort of trouble, why not do a proper heatpipe with the funny cooling powder inside, as used in electronics?

Alternatively, you could make it liquid cooled.  Put the radiator in the butt.  ;D

Hmmm - popular in Norway and Sweden, possibly not in Saudi Arabia.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on January 01, 2012, 04:38:56 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 01, 2012, 03:52:32 AM

Hmmm - popular in Norway and Sweden, possibly not in Saudi Arabia.....

So?  Don't sell to the Saudis!   Sell them to the Chileans and Canadians instead!  ;D

saintkatanalegacy

Hmmm... studying the schematics further, the exterior design used up a lot of dead space in the rear stock. Lot's of space for the radiator :lol:
Ivylicious!™

rickshaw

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on January 02, 2012, 04:34:17 AM
Hmmm... studying the schematics further, the exterior design used up a lot of dead space in the rear stock. Lot's of space for the radiator :lol:

Are you allowing for the recoil?  The G-11's working parts, magazine and barrel recoiled in the body of the weapon.  It was this which allowed its high rate of fire (the weapon reloaded and fired its third round before it hit the buffer in the rear of the body).

saintkatanalegacy

well, it's pretty tricky... AN-94 tricky... my goal is to simplify the whole thing for easier field refitting and make the "dead space" more space efficient. I reckon using something similar to say... an earthquake buffer to reduce overall length.

think... think... think...

heatsink + paper weight recoil buffer + armpit radiator = ???  :wacko:
Ivylicious!™

Old Wombat

So, a whole bunch of soldiers with one really sweaty armpit? :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Dunno.  Last time I fired a rifle I had it on the front of my shoulder, not under my armpit.   :rolleyes:

I also think that you're all being a tad excessive.  If you really are worried too much about his underarm comfort put the radiator on his back (there is no reason why the radiator couldn't be connected by flexible tubing to the weapon stock with quick release couplings and self-sealing valves).

Of course, this all opens up opportunities for heat seeking missiles...    :wacko:

pyro-manic

Think about it - you can have a cup of tea immediately after a firefight. What's not to like?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

The soldier's best friend!   Guaranteed to keep you warm at night!   ;D