Allan's Kawasaki Shinden

Started by Allan, December 31, 2011, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

It's the 1/72 model and I've yet to decide how to paint it--but it's coming along well enough...the wing fins are tricky to put in postion...they look straight....mustn't forget weight in the nose

Allan

here's how she looks now with yellow on the leading edges (it's Tamiya flat enamel)--I might leave the forward planes totally yellow or give the Shinden narrow recognition edges there too--what do you think: totally yellow or just the leading edges???---the yellow under the cockpit is the background for the Hinomarus--white is the usual color, but yellow looks spiffing and I might put white on the main wings to balance things up, but will have to do that after the yellow has been masked--after that simple grey under and green top I think, but green splotches over a light grey upper might be the go
Allan in Canberra

pyro-manic

I say leave the canards all yellow. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TallEng

And I say paint the rest Metallic Purple, add Orange flames, racing numbers and sponsorship from the beverage maker of your choice  :cheers:

Regards
keith(slightly tongue in cheek)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

frank2056

I vote for all yellow canards. Not only will they look cool in contrast with either of your camo choices, it's easier than trying to mask the leading edge. then you're left with the question: "same width as the main wing or narrower?"

Old Wombat

Quote from: frank2056 on January 10, 2012, 01:24:43 PMI vote for all yellow canards. Not only will they look cool in contrast with either of your camo choices, it's easier than trying to mask the leading edge.

I agree.

The camo? I'd opt for the simpler scheme but either should look good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Allan

Hi fellows
here she is with white Humbrol enamel on the wings, Xtracryllix red on the nose and vertical stabilizers
the white I'm happy with, but I think the red needs a little more to ensure good coverage, perhaps because I failed to undercoat properly
the area under the cockpit is masked yellow, ditto for the leading edges of canards in the front and main wings
Allan

Allan

I'll post some snaps later on, but the undersides are now Tamiya light blue enamel. What I have to decide now is what to do with the upper surfaces.
1. Light blue there too with green spots
2. Sand brown with green spots
3. Line and length, plain ol' dark green
I'm leaning like the Tower of Pisa towards 2.
Allan in Canberra

MilitaryAircraft101

Great minds Allan, I think 2 would be a Ripper of a scheme, sitting tight for pics  :party:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Allan

Well, then. here's part of the tan brown on, using Revell gloss, which seems to pass through my 0.20 airbrush much smoother than matt paint.
If I decide on green spots I may gamble and use my airbrush, but probably will chicken out and opt for the sharpened sprue technique.
May have to switch to gloss paint to achieve better paint finishes on my models.
One of the snaps shows the Shinden masked to within an inch of its life--death to overspray this time around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allan in Canberra

NARSES2

I was about to comment on the amount of masking tape on this one Al  ;D

Looking forward to it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

Allan - I am a bit late finding this one - now I like yellow, the man that yellow is in-your-face yellow - and the canards will look great

Tan with green spots - you started with the tan - alternative is to start with the green, then mask the spots and overspray with tan.  If you want a sharp edge, then Tamiya tape is the go.  If you want soft edges, then round balls (like a sphere) of bluetack is the go - but use a low pressure and only spray from directly above.

Good luck

Bernie in Orange

Allan

here she is all decked out in tan--now for the green
the tan is Revell gloss 80 and the green will be WEM Kawasaki green--no Mitsubishi green
Allan

NARSES2