SAM-2

Started by philp, January 01, 2012, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Ok, finally found where I can buy a 72nd FAN SONG kit even though it is a little expensive so off to grab 6 of the missiles and launchers (probably the Gran kit or maybe the Maquette one) so I can finally do that SAM site I have wanted to try for so long. 

A little research to see how big this would end up being and while looking at Google Images, found this beauty.

Yep, a Sausage to Air missile. 

May have to rethink my whole project.  Wonder if I can find any of the Hot Wheels Sausage mobiles.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

RussC

That is the Wurst.... :rolleyes:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

chrisonord

multiple guided bangers eh?? cool
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

I've missed something, clearly.... :blink:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 01, 2012, 02:26:04 PM

Sausage to air missile...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

Quote from: philp on January 01, 2012, 09:52:42 AM
Ok, finally found where I can buy a 72nd FAN SONG kit even though it is a little expensive so off to grab 6 of the missiles and launchers (probably the Gran kit or maybe the Maquette one) so I can finally do that SAM site I have wanted to try for so long. 

If you do it to scale it will be pretty big.  IIRC its about 250+ metres between each missile launcher, usually in a Star-of-David shape, with the launchers at the apexes and the radar in the middle.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

philp

Based on what I can find can put them about 10" apart.  Normally they where 20 to 25 meters apart.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

Quote from: philp on January 01, 2012, 05:56:40 PM
Based on what I can find can put them about 10" apart.  Normally they where 20 to 25 meters apart.

Must be looking at different sorts of launch sites then.   I'm talking about North Vietnamese.   They actually were, by the war's end spreading them even further apart to escape Wild Weasel attacks.

philp

Could be.  The info I found said the average site covered 200-330 feet but that includes all the outer areas where the storage bunkers, etc were located.
Besides, if I go too big, lots of open area with nothing going on.

Still got one of the Airfix kits.  Built the missile and launcher but never the truck and trailer. Missile would be too small compared to the others and want to try to get 6 of the same kit for consistency but hope to use the truck and trailer and having them loading up one of the missiles for a little action.  Info also mentions a P-12 Spoon Rest radar along with the FAN SONG.  Haven't seen any pics with one of them in the central ring but may add one.  Also need some Command vehicles and generators.  So looks like an expensive endeavor but would make a pretty cool entry at a show.

Here are some of the sites where I am getting my info.
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-SAM-Site-Configs-A.html#mozTocId850016
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-S-75-Volkhov.html
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/v-75.htm
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

RussC

What is fascinating is that if you do some earth exploring with Google earth or Terraserver or whatever utility, and visit some of the training areas associated with Eglin Field FL or some up near Saylor Creek Idaho and some on the Nellis facilities, you will see replicas of those six pointed star SA-2 sites as well as other SAM and IRBM, ICBM sites and airfields. The one up in Idaho even has a boneyard of tactical jets to make it look more real.

SAM sites are really something to see. Visited the restored Nike Hercules site SF88L which is on the Marin side of the Golden Gate bridge, up near Fort Barry. Really shows just what lengths we were ready to go. While all were examining a Herc and getting touchy feely all over it., one of our tour group asks the Docent what the little selector switch just ahead of the forward fins was for. The guide said it was a manual setting for the warhead yield, flip up for 40 kilotons (Hiroshima and Nagasaki) and flip down for 20 (Nagasaki only)...Everybody's hands suddenly found their pockets, even though the nuke had been removed from the other side of that panel 30 years before. Really good restored control vans and mobile radars there, giving a feel for weathering and appearance.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

rickshaw

Quote from: philp on January 01, 2012, 11:26:44 PM
Could be.  The info I found said the average site covered 200-330 feet but that includes all the outer areas where the storage bunkers, etc were located.

Your first reference has a diagram:

Makes it about 200 metres diameter.   I suspect thats a bit bunched up though, for illustrative purposes.  The google image is much, much larger.

Besides, if I go too big, lots of open area with nothing going on.

True.  At 200 metres diameter thats about 2.7 metres at 1/72 scale.   A bit large.   Perhaps instead of trying to do a battery, do a half battery?

Still got one of the Airfix kits.  Built the missile and launcher but never the truck and trailer. Missile would be too small compared to the others and want to try to get 6 of the same kit for consistency but hope to use the truck and trailer and having them loading up one of the missiles for a little action.  Info also mentions a P-12 Spoon Rest radar along with the FAN SONG.  Haven't seen any pics with one of them in the central ring but may add one.  Also need some Command vehicles and generators.  So looks like an expensive endeavor but would make a pretty cool entry at a show.

Here are some of the sites where I am getting my info.
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-SAM-Site-Configs-A.html#mozTocId850016
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-S-75-Volkhov.html
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/v-75.htm

If you're interested, you should be able to get everything or nearly everything you need at: http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/.  They have all the missiles and radars.  You'll need to hunt down either the old Airfix kit or the Planet resin one for the transloader though.

PR19_Kit

Makes the RAF's 'Flat Plain' Bloodhound sites look a little delicate, don't they?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2012, 03:19:27 AM
Makes the RAF's 'Flat Plain' Bloodhound sites look a little delicate, don't they?  :o

Different ideas.  The RAF relied more heavily on fighters to stop the bombers getting through.  The Soviets relied more on SAMs to achieve the same ends.   I'd be interested in seeing how the British Army designed its Thunderbird sites as more of a direct comparison.

PR19_Kit

Try this site, about half way down the page, but it's all pretty interesting stuff anyway.

http://www.36regimentra.org.uk/TLaunch/id16.htm
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 01, 2012, 02:26:04 PM

Don't worry I had to reread it to get it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.