RAF Mustang Ve

Started by andrewj, January 02, 2012, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

As is well known , the Royal Airforce in WWII were not impressed with the NA Mustang as an interceptor, whilst a superb all round fighter with a long range ,the RAF prefered  the Spitfire as an interceptor. In 1944 following deliveries of the first Mustang IV's ,several were passed to Rolls -Royce to see what improvements could be made for the interceptor role.
Rolls-Royce removed the Packard Merlin engines and with the aid of several engineers seconded  from Supermarine, replaced them with Griffon engines in a similar installation to that of the Spitfire XIV . The aircraft were immediately transformed, the new engines giving an increase in operational ceiling ,speed and rate of climb, but at the expense of some loss of range.
The inner .5 machine guns were removed and replaced with 20mm cannon.
100 of these conversions were eventually made , being issued to four squdrons including 19 Sqd RAF, they were used to defend against German hit and run attacks, with no German aircraft able to outrun them, and were also used for anti-diver patrols.

PR19_Kit

Very nice indeed!  :bow: :cheers:

Mustangs always look better in RAF camo I think.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2012, 09:45:45 AM
Very nice indeed!  :bow: :cheers:

Mustangs always look better in RAF camo I think.

Thanks Kit, I must admit , I think any aircraft can be improved with RAF markings.

Kerrillc

I wish to be associated with the above remarks. That is a remarkable idea, come to think of it why on earth didn't they do they that?
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

kitnut617

Quote from: Kerrillc on January 02, 2012, 01:33:48 PM
I wish to be associated with the above remarks. That is a remarkable idea, come to think of it why on earth didn't they do they that?

Well, according to the book 'Rolls Royce and the Mustang' (got through The Rolls Royce Heritage Trust), installing a Griffon was looked at by both RR and North American.  But NA determined that an extreme amount of fuselage re-design would be needed for the installation.  RR on the other hand figured they could do it but it would've needed 230 lbs of balance weight installed in the tail and that was not including the contra-prop option, but then also it wouldn't be operationally stressed. So the whole idea was dropped.  NA did though install the RM.14.SM in the P-51G, this was an experimental engine of over 2000 hp and a forerunner to the Packard built Merlin variant that was the equivalent of what went into the De Havilland Hornet and produced the P-51H
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

They should have tried a Griffon in half a P-82. That already HAD a longer tail.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2012, 04:05:18 PM
They should have tried a Griffon in half a P-82. That already HAD a longer tail.  ;D

I was just going to add that Kit -- ya beat me to it   :lol:

RR though went in another direction with the Griffon installation, the mid-engined PV fighter project

kitnut617

And I forgot to add -----

very well done Andrew   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

One of the UK SIG members did a 'half P-82' as I recall, I was at one show where he exhibited it and it was SO subtle most of us didn't actually get it until it was explained, but I think that had a normal Merlin engine though. OGL will know who built it I'm sure.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2012, 04:13:25 PM
One of the UK SIG members did a 'half P-82' as I recall, I was at one show where he exhibited it and it was SO subtle most of us didn't actually get it until it was explained, but I think that had a normal Merlin engine though. OGL will know who built it I'm sure.

There's pics of it here somewhere, 'cause that's where I've seen that build.

rickshaw

'tis a very nice looking model indeed!  Captures the differences between the two engines rather nicely.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Martin H

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 02, 2012, 04:15:27 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2012, 04:13:25 PM

There's pics of it here somewhere, 'cause that's where I've seen that build.

That would be Van's build and a very fine model it was as well.

Heres the link Vans single P 82
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on January 02, 2012, 11:39:27 PM
That would be Van's build and a very fine model it was as well.

Heres the link Vans single P 82

That's the one, yes.  :thumbsup:

See, I told you OGL would know, but then of course he IS our OGL.......  ;D

Re-reading these two threads in conjunction brings all sorts of possibilities to mind, but I'm not sure I have enough P-51 and P-82 kits to hand.  :lol:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Ooh Matron!  Yep, floats my boat and as Kit says, Mustang IVs always look good in the Day Fighter Scheme (I know, it's a Ve but you know what I mean).

So, 2 cannon and 4 .50 calibres?  Ouch!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter