Aircraft combies that have propellor and jet engines for power.

Started by McColm, January 03, 2012, 03:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
Happy new year.
The B-36 started life as a propeller driven bomber which through development had jet engines added.
The same could be said for the Lockheed P-2 Neptune and Avro Shackleton to add assistance on take off.
I'm not talking about RATO or JATO packs been added, but have there been any others?

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

It was planned for the German OV-10BZ Bronco target tugs, but they dropped the idea after some test-flying. IIRC, the engine was a J-85 in a pod over the centre-section.

Some C-123 Providers had a pair of J-85s in pods under the wings (C-123K) and a few had different engines on the wingtips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_C-123_Provider

Some Noratlases had a pair of Marbores in wingtip pods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noratlas

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Nick

Late versions of the XB-35 had props and jets.
There were various testbeds like the Lancaster, Lincoln and possibly the Oxford or Anson, can't recall the magazine I read it in. Certainly it was a wooden/canvas aircraft with a jet engine out one side.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

famvburg

rickshaw

IIRC Indian C-119s had a jet pod over their centre section for "hot and high" operations.

C-123Ks had jet pods either underwing or on wingtip for "hot and high" operations.

Shakletons had jet pods in their outer piston engine nacelles.

The Ar232 transport had a gas generator for blown flap experiments using steam generated by Hydrogen-Peroxide - does that count?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Logan Hartke

Quote from: rickshaw on January 03, 2012, 06:26:44 AM
IIRC Indian C-119s had a jet pod over their centre section for "hot and high" operations.

I've seen C-82s with the same modification.

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2012, 03:57:28 AM
Some C-123 Providers had a pair of J-85s in pods under the wings (C-123K) and a few had different engines on the wingtips:

Interestingly, I've read the C-123 is the only aircraft to have successfully flown in glider, piston, turboprop, jet, and combination configurations.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Logan Hartke on January 03, 2012, 07:39:47 AM

Interestingly, I've read the C-123 is the only aircraft to have successfully flown in glider, piston, turbojet, jet, and combination configurations.

Wasn't there a waterplane version of the C-123, or one of its derivatives as well? I have a vague recollection of seeing one with some tip floats somewhere.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Logan Hartke on January 03, 2012, 07:39:47 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on January 03, 2012, 06:26:44 AM

I've seen C-82s with the same modification.

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2012, 03:57:28 AM

Cheers,

Logan

IIRC, some turboprop conversions flew as well, although they never entered series production.

Interestingly, I've read the C-123 is the only aircraft to have successfully flown in glider, piston, turbojet, jet, and combination configurations.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

RussC

The AJ2P Savage had twin props and a J33 in the back.

Martin P4m Mercator had two 4360 and two J-33, the J-33 was made for combo planes in that it used gasoline instead of JP.

P-2 Neptunes also.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

The Wooksta!

Various Luftwaffe piston types had jet engines fitted - although they they were testbeds.

There were plans to fit opperational Ar 240s, Ju 88s and Me 210s with additional jet engines as boosters.

Several Fw 190s were allegedly fitted with ramjets.

For the napkinwaffe, the Bv 237, Bv P.194 and Bv P.203 were compound aircraft.  There's an Fw project that I can't recall the number of - too many numbers.

There's bound to be others but I'm not digging out the Luftwaffe references.  The loft at me Mam's is too cold at this time of year.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Logan Hartke

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2012, 08:20:42 AM
Wasn't there a waterplane version of the C-123, or one of its derivatives as well? I have a vague recollection of seeing one with some tip floats somewhere.

Yes, and skis, too.

Quote from: Weaver on January 03, 2012, 09:14:53 AM
IIRC, some turboprop conversions flew as well, although they never entered series production.

Yes, that's what I meant, not turbojet, don't know where my head was.

Cheers,

Logan