Aircraft combies that have propellor and jet engines for power.

Started by McColm, January 03, 2012, 03:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Wow and thanks for your replies. I've seen the jet powered C-123 in a couple of films, can't recall the film names.
The X-88 became the Vodoo and I've never seen the propellors move either.
This information is ideal for me as I'm Whiffing a Dassault Br.1150 Atlantic fuselage and adding the wings of a BAe Nimrod using techniques I've found from this forum. I still have a lot to learn and with your patience 2012 will be a good year for me.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 05, 2012, 02:52:22 AM

I've heard that before, but I've yet to see a photo showing the prop actually turning. Every one only shows it stopped and feathered.

I'm not suggesting that they never ran the engine, I've just not seen any evidence of it.

Then you'll love this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rqlfhLdvc

;D ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 05, 2012, 02:06:23 PM
Then you'll love this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rqlfhLdvc
;D ;D

At last, at LAST! Thanks indeed.  ;D

I'm so pleased they did run the darn thing, it seems as if they used two different props too, from 1:20 onward for a short while it's fitted with a 3 bladed, very short diameter prop with a very ugly bulged spinner. I'd not seen that configuration before but that prop appears later on in the hangar.

Did the XF-88 have longer wings than the F-101? As it turns away they seem to have a much longer aspect ratio than the -101's knife blades.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Evidently the NACA tested some 27 different prop-designs on the XF-88.

Span is the same for the two types.

McColm

The Wooksta!

The ancestor of the Breget Alize (I forget the name) had both jet and prop.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

...., the latest edition (March 2012), has a "mystery plane" with mixed propulsion---the P4M "Mercator"---looking like a twin-engined "Privateer". Seems it had two of the massive "corncob" radial engines (that produced close to what horsepower two normal radials would) with a turbojet engine tucked in the rear of the nacelle!

Then the mag featured THE VERY FIRST "jet" (that is, the first aircraft to fly using jet power)--a standard Heinkel He-118 that had an early Ohain turbojet engine strapped to the underside as a test-bed. The jet was fired up after the He-118 got airborne, but the take-off and landing were done with the conventional piston engine.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

famvburg

There was an A-26 variant, the XA-26F that had a jet in addition to the R-2800s. ISTR there was a B-26 as well, in France used to test a jet engine. Maybe one in the US as well.

Quote from: McColm on January 03, 2012, 03:33:45 AM
Hi Guys,
Happy new year.
The B-36 started life as a propeller driven bomber which through development had jet engines added.
The same could be said for the Lockheed P-2 Neptune and Avro Shackleton to add assistance on take off.
I'm not talking about RATO or JATO packs been added, but have there been any others?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 06, 2012, 09:56:46 AM
...., the latest edition (March 2012), has a "mystery plane" with mixed propulsion---the P4M "Mercator"---looking like a twin-engined "Privateer". Seems it had two of the massive "corncob" radial engines (that produced close to what horsepower two normal radials would) with a turbojet engine tucked in the rear of the nacelle!

Why is the Mercator listed as a 'mystery plane'? It was a competitor to the Neptune and lost out to the Lockheed aircraft but they still built maybe 20-30 of them. They were used in the ELINT-SIGINT role and AFAIK more than one was shot down during those flights.

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Add the B-50 to the list, specifically the KB-50J with a J-47 added to each wing, like the KC-97.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

Not only that, the Gannet had TWO turbo-props that were very friendly with each other as they were cuddled together under the cockpit.  ;D

Regards
Kit