S.H.A.D.O. mobile command, search and destroy vehicle.

Started by chrisonord, January 03, 2012, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Here is some work in progress pics of my current S.H.A.D.O build, this one being a scratch build. I have only ever done one semi scratch build vehicle before and also modified a T-34 a bit too, but the build I am doing here is quite a progression for me.

The front under panel

The main hull plate and the drive train tunnel.

Rear end taking shape.

Vehicle will be amphibious, I was wanting to make it as a 10 wheeler, but I am struggling to find suitable parts for the steering and suspension as well as all the wishbones/struts needed, so it will be on tracks. At least for now anyway.

front panel taking shape

finished and shaped front panel.
front underside of hull, finished and shaped.

Basic interior as not much will be seen when all put together.

Bulk heads fitted.

Rear panel with doors fitted.

first bulkhead for driver/ crew compartment.

Sides and inner roof on.

Tracks and some of the extrior detail going on

Nearly ready for some paint, I will post some more pics when the paint and decals are on, and I will sort out a back story for it too.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Looks great: nice piece of work!  :thumbsup:

With that much overhang at the ends, you should have it made in France by the Saint-Chamond company... ;D ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Is this in 1/72? Revell has some vehicles in that scale that are suitable donors for axles etc: e.g. the Faun SLT (8 axles), the MAN military trucks (with 3 or 4 axles).

chrisonord

Thanks for the comments guys,I have looked at the running gear on the revell faun trucks, the wheels are too small, and the axles are too narrow for this also.The vehicle was desined from the begining to have wheels on it H,hence the overhang, I haven't got any tracks that fit right to both ends  :unsure: If I can find a way of putting some right sized wheels and running gear on I will either change it or make another one.Oh forgot to say, yes it is in 1/72nd scale.
Chris.

Cobra

This is Too Cool :mellow: Keep up the Great Work,Chris :thumbsup:  if Interested,PM me. i Found a Site that is Cool & think You might want to look at! Dan

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Quote from: Weaver on January 04, 2012, 08:23:32 AM
How big do the wheels need to be?
The wheels after having a look at other wheeled stuff I have would need to be slightly bigger than the ones fitted to the 1/72nd scale M977, and I would need 10 of them.It is the other stuff I would need that is the main problem, the bits that go between the wheels and the chassis.
Thanks for your comment Cobra, I am always looking for new stuff to inspire me for my SHADO builds, so please send me a link.
cheers,
Chris.   

Cobra

Chris, the Address is: www.eagletransporter.com ! they have a Guy there who is Building From Scratch a S.H.A.D.O.Mobile and doing a Great Job! the SHADO Mobile is featured in their Forum! You may be Required to register to access it. hope this helps.Dan

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on January 04, 2012, 08:34:36 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 04, 2012, 08:23:32 AM
How big do the wheels need to be?
The wheels after having a look at other wheeled stuff I have would need to be slightly bigger than the ones fitted to the 1/72nd scale M977, and I would need 10 of them.It is the other stuff I would need that is the main problem, the bits that go between the wheels and the chassis.

I don't have one of those for comparison, so can you give me the diameter please?

What I'm thinking is that I've got most of a Revell Spz-2 Luchs in the spares box that's already had one pair of wheels nabbed from it, so if you could get yourself another one, I could give you an extra pair of wheels to make 10.

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

Cheers H,
I will have a look at the ones on the 977 I have built tomorrow,and let you know. Now I have done the paint on the build, it looks like I will be making another vehicle as I am not too keen on pulling this one to bits :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Chris

Joe C-P

Tres bien! That music is bouncing around my head!   :thumbsup:   :wub:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

arkon

great build! makes me think of the RV from stripes!!
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

chrisonord

Paint is on, decals are on, but I am not happy with the home made SHADO  decals as the surrounding decal film stands out like a sore thumb and looks terrible, even after a couple of coats of matt clear coat it looks bad. I am wondering if the decals will come off without taking paint with them. I will take some pics of the thing when I have put its lights on, then try to remove the decals. The paint colour is a mix of 2 different colours so I might struggle getting it to match if I damage the paint, hmmmm.......bugger. :banghead:
chris.

chrisonord

Finally got round to taking some pics of the finished build, I have not removed the dodgy decals as yet as I am not sure whether the pain underneath will get damaged or not. Any way here is a bit of a back story for the vehicle and some pictures.
This multi pupose command search and destroy vehicle is one of a total of 15 built, all of which can change roles in less than 15 minutes. The roof mounted weapon system is one of several systems that are continually being added to, and are of a self contained quick release and refit system. The vehicle can be armed with missiles, missile gun mix just guns(including a twin barrelled rail gun turret, anti submerged UFO weapon system and several different detection sensor and radar systems. The only fixed armament is the twin 25 mm cannon on the roof, controlled by the weapons officer who sits in the middle in the cockpit. In the rear of the vehicle there is a 4 man electronics crew, these are responsible for UFO detection targetting and information sharing amongst the other vehicles within the 4 vehicle group and also with aircraft. There is also a direct link to off world detection platforms both in orbit and on the moon, the information from space is relayed via S.I.D. This platform is an orbiting detection and long range tracking and trajectory satelite, but with a difference.(more on this soon, as it is part built). The CSD, is amphibious and is propelled by water jets, this has come in very useful when tracking UFO's that have submerged in a lake or deep river. The power plant is a diesel hybrid, and runs on silent electric motors when "hunting" and gives the vehicle a much better element of surprise as it is belived the UFO's use noise detection when landed. The outer skin has an anti flash and heat coating to help reduce the devastating affects of the particle beam weapons used on the UFO's also the windows have the familiar anti flash red tint. The large rectanglar protrusions are detection sensors, these pick up resonate pulses given off by the UFO's and also can pick up the form of radiation given off by them whilst in the earths atmosphere. Unfortunately these pods can not be coated in the metalic paint as the paint knocks the sensors off.

Chris.     

Cobra