it's DAKAR time

Started by raafif, January 04, 2012, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raafif

even tho it's not in west Africa anymore, the Sth American terrain is giving just as good a trial to the competiters.  There are very few kits of these vehicles available - usually in odd scales for us modellers.  A few of the Tamiya 1/24th cars like the Pugeot 204 Rallye & Porsches could be modified and there's some Heller 1/43rd scale kits of older DAKAR cars.  There are several 1/24th trucks - also 1/35th trucks like the Revell MAN 6x6 & 8x8, HEMMT & maybe one of the new HobbyBoss MRAPs would make good DAKAR vehicles ?

This year we have an electric VW Taureg  -- how about a 4WD Toyota Prius :blink:

What others would make a good whiff ??  Jaguar sedan or E-type, 4WD Smart .....
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Geoff

Weaver

Schwimwagen, maybe scaleorama'd from 1/35th to 1/48th?  :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

How about a red bull sponsored M3 halftrack :wacko:
chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Geoff

Joe C-P

Rommel's Rod.

I like the half-track idea.  :thumbsup:

Me, of course, I'd take a Bowler.  :cheers:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Daryl J.

Revell just released a Routemaster.   Certainly it somehow can compete with a Kamaz  or MAN. 
Tamiya do a beautiful Renault Alpine and classic Fiat 500 too.   Is Agip still around?   The Fiat in Agip@DAKAR  :blink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Hobbes

In 1/24 there's at least a Range Rover, Mercedes G and iirc a Peugeot 205 Rally Raid.
The MAN 8x8 has been used in Dakar rallies, iirc so that would be an easy conversion.

Other conversions are more difficult, because you need tires of an unusual size and shape and I don't think they're available as aftermarket items.

(and yes, I've been thinking about doing a Dakar vehicle; specifically a Ginaf truck).

mkhulu

Seeing that this is Whatif :

Staghound , Sd Kfz 221 / 222 - all with guns removed , charged up engines  ;D
Going nowhere slowly

PR19_Kit

I have a couple of 1/24 Transit van kits somewhere. One of those on MONSTER wheels with a BIG engine, in the back perhaps, could do the job?  :o ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Rheged

Quote from: mkhulu on January 05, 2012, 12:28:43 AM
Seeing that this is Whatif :

Staghound , Sd Kfz 221 / 222 - all with guns removed , charged up engines  ;D

This sounds like the  war surplus armoured car that Robson's transport of Carlisle bought just after the Second World War. They stripped out the armament and armour, and used it as a very powerful tug  to get heavily loaded wagons over Shap Fell before the motorway was built. All Robson's wagons were named "Border.........."   and this one was Border Warrior"  I have a photo somewhere.....
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

South America??? It's not the Dakar rally then, is it!? :banghead:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 04, 2012, 08:19:20 PM
Revell just released a Routemaster.   Certainly it somehow can compete with a Kamaz  or MAN. 
Tamiya do a beautiful Renault Alpine and classic Fiat 500 too.   Is Agip still around?   The Fiat in Agip@DAKAR  :blink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

If it's good enough for Cliff Richard it's good enough for the Dakar!  Revell's Black Cab would work well too, hike up the suspension, pop something monstrous under the bonnet, add a little rally trim here & there.

Top Gear Live stuck a Mitsubhi Evo VIII under an FX4 & took it drifting so why not???  To be honest, it must be standard fit as I've been on hairer Taxi rides! :lol:
http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetevovideos/274375/video_harris_drives_the_tg_live_taxi.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Perhaps a Thornycroft Mighty Antar?     It would be slow, but it would probably finish pulling every other  competitor behind it.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet