Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Quote from: chrisonord on January 05, 2012, 04:23:08 PM
Hummers with a more substantial engine would be good too

So a 6.5 litre V8 isn't substantial enough?? :blink: ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on January 06, 2012, 12:07:44 AM

Those aren't really Hummers. They're purpose-built spaceframe cars that just look a bit like a Hummer.

Umm, yeah I know that, but it is rather irrelevant when discussing racing vehicles.

chrisonord

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 06, 2012, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on January 05, 2012, 04:23:08 PM
Hummers with a more substantial engine would be good too

So a 6.5 litre V8 isn't substantial enough?? :blink: ;D
Not really as they only do 80 mph flat out on a tarmac road as standard.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

I'd think that's probably more to do with gear ratios and weight etc than "only" six and a half litres though. ;D

Hobbes

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 06, 2012, 01:36:26 PM

Those aren't really Hummers. They're purpose-built spaceframe cars that just look a bit like a Hummer.

Umm, yeah I know that, but it is rather irrelevant when discussing racing vehicles.

Well, the original comment by Simmie stated that the Hummers were too slow. Your answer was 'there's one in 4th place now'. In this case it's relevant that the two of you aren't talking about the same vehicle.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 05, 2012, 08:03:42 PM
Gordon's Hummer is currently in 4th overall, and Al Attiyah made up amazing time on Stage 2 to win the stage and is
currently in 8th overall. So this year the Hummers aer doing much better.

You can say the same thing about all the other runners Harro, all the top running teams have cars/trucks done with a 'space-frame' construction and only resemble what they are supposed to be.

But Barry (John Howling Mouse) should be able to tell us what is in which RW Hummer, he has one of each in his 1:1 stash, genuine H1, H2 and an H3.  Incidently Robby Gordons Hummer is a modified H3. The only real Hummer is the H1, the other two are based on other GM trucks they already make.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 07, 2012, 07:12:46 AM
You can say the same thing about all the other runners Harro, all the top running teams have cars/trucks done with a 'space-frame' construction and only resemble what they are supposed to be.

Fair enough as far as the top teams go. Further back in the field the cars are closer to standard. The cars are divided into 3 classes, T1 (modified production cars), T2 (non-modified production cars) and open (anything goes).
Unfortunately, on the Dakar website there's no way to tell who's in what category.

My point was that comparing a T1 to an open class vehicle is apples and oranges.

As far as modeling goes, using a Hummer kit to build Robby Gordon's car is going to be difficult since all of the proportions are different.

Daryl J.

QuoteClassic 2CV
Ironically, the one I'd ordered in from Asia before this thread ever started showed up on Ye Olde Verydamp Doorstep today.
This just might have to be built in Dakar guise!

jcf

To be really pedantic on the Hummer issue, none of the AM General manufactured military vehicles
are Hummers, they are Humvees.

Hummer was the name of the civil truck line, was being the operative term as it has ceased to exist.

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on January 07, 2012, 08:21:13 AM

As far as modeling goes, using a Hummer kit to build Robby Gordon's car is going to be difficult since all of the proportions are different.

Yes you're right there, Robby Gordon's truck is based on a GMC H3 and even that is like comparing apples to oranges when compared to a real Hummer

A H3, the smallest of the three Hummers

JHM's H1 (which I believe is a civvie one)

And his H2

The H2 & H3 are pseudo-Hummers, being based on truck frames, H2 based on the Suburban line and the H3 on the GMC Canyon (or S-10/Sonoma), GM's attempt at grabbing some patriotic sales

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Daryl J.

Perhaps I should write Tata and suggest they include a Land Rover next year.     Defender, Discovery 4, or the all-new Rangie.     
Besides the HobbyBoss Defenders, is there any other L.R. kit in 1/35?   

Hobbes

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 07, 2012, 08:27:15 AM
QuoteClassic 2CV
Ironically, the one I'd ordered in from Asia before this thread ever started showed up on Ye Olde Verydamp Doorstep today.
This just might have to be built in Dakar guise!

You could do the 2CV Sahara; this had a second engine in the back driving the rear wheels.

And someone actually used a 2CV in the 2007 rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH-hbY1VCI

pyro-manic

Quote from: Daryl J. on January 07, 2012, 10:11:42 AM
Perhaps I should write Tata and suggest they include a Land Rover next year.     Defender, Discovery 4, or the all-new Rangie.     
Besides the HobbyBoss Defenders, is there any other L.R. kit in 1/35?   

Tamiya have done a couple - a "Pink Panther" and an ambulance.

raafif

in the future maybe we should consider electric vehicles to be viable.  The V.W. Taureg electric is currently 110th in the race (out of how many ???) & going well -- it has a 500km range on each charge !!

Coverage here is quite appalling with only one TV station covering just the basics of the lead three in each class.  Other stations don't even mention the existance of the DAKAR :blink:

The DAKAR's own website is very poor too apparently.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Hobbes

There are about 115 cars left at the moment.

The Dakar site has some interesting features (you can see the position and progress of each vehicle during a stage thanks to the tracking system that they use). For coverage, I've been relying on a Dutch broadcaster. Eurosport has some coverage as well, but no video on their website I see.