1/72 Sopwith Hunter B Mk.IX - Palestine 1918

Started by MilitaryAircraft101, January 10, 2012, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilitaryAircraft101

Ok guys, as I have said on the other thread, I'll have an individual thread for each build but put the finished one in the other thread. This one's for the Sopwith Hunter B Mk.IX. It is the 1/72 Airfix kit, with parts added from a Revell S.E.5a, the remnants of which may become an unmanned drone  :wacko:
I had this kit added as an extra in a parcel from deathjester, and it was missing some bits and bobs that he'd scalped for other projects (I think the canopy was the main part). I also had the Revell S.E.5a which I'd accidentally ordered a duplicate of. The original design had the radiator from an S.E.5a in the nose, but I had a slight mishap with that and decided to build my own radome for this WWI bird. The main assembly for the kit was the same, and once I had the basic shape of the aircraft, I set out to modify it to WWI standards, which included sanding off all the lumps and bumps common to the real Hunter. I filled in the Hunter's undercarriage inserts and airbrake (I think) slot. From the S.E.5a, I stole it's undercarriage, and grafted them onto the wings of the Hunter, rather than on the lower wing root as on the original. The tailskid, went nearer to the tail, converting the bird from nosewheel to tailsitter. Somehow in the process, I managed to lose the elevators and the rudder, as replacements, I scalped the elevators from my scrap F-86, and the rudder was improvised from an S.E.5a elevator. Once I painted the bird up in Palestine camouflage (Humbrol 10 Field Brown and Humbrol 148 Radome Tan), I set out with armament. I stole the Vickers machine gun from the Revell kit, and mounted it on the nose, in reach of the pilot. Finally, the bomb load... It is comprised of 2x 500lb and 2x 1000lb bombs from assorted WWII aircraft kits. The 1000lb bombs reside on the inner pylons, which were nicked from a Macchi 326, and the outer pylons occupied by the 500lb. Here are some pics of the finished thing, the backstory is here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34340.0.html