The Finescale JMN DEBATE!

Started by MilitaryAircraft101, January 11, 2012, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkon

hmmm...... was just at the Lex this summer during my honeymoon and thought that "model" was friggen awesome!!! but now that they have pointed out the glaring inaccuracy of it.............i still think its friggen awesome!!!!!
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

scooter

Definitely living up to the term "Joyless".  But I do have to agree with one of the comments.  A model that big, built over the space of 10 years, possibly without internet access for reference photos and blueprints, is a pure hobby.

And I used to pick up FSM, and every so often there'd be a reader submitted WHIF, like a camouflaged STS or Traveler 2000 dio, but a lot of it was self-congratulatory back slapping.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

RussC

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on January 11, 2012, 01:52:04 PM
Well, that was almost as much fun as reading a thread about how the next kit of the TV Series Enterprise is wrong because of how they may, or may not, depict the panel lines that were there, or were not.   :unsure:

Hey, if that's how some people enjoy the hobby, who am I to say they shouldn't? Now, if they are saying I shouldn't show MY stuff, well, then it's personal.  :banghead:

Oh well, modelling sure attracts some odd people.

Alvis Pi

The ultimate JMN would be Sheldon, character on TV's "The Big Bang Theory".

The JMN has this affinity, of makings others suffer for his virginity.....  :blink:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

jcf

Quote from: salt6 on January 11, 2012, 05:25:23 PM
Did anyone look at the scout planes on the cats?

ROFLMAO! Great catch, P-47 floatplanes!!!
Looking more carefully at the photos the whole ship is a Whiff Über-BB.

Too funny.

I logged in and posted a response pointing out the aircraft.  :dalek: :dalek:

puddingwrestler

Regretabbly, I cannot see the pics. I shall have to settle for reading the thread while wearing several kilos of gold chains to go with my dubious haircut.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

MilitaryAircraft101

Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 11, 2012, 06:38:54 PM
Regretabbly, I cannot see the pics. I shall have to settle for reading the thread while wearing several kilos of gold chains to go with my dubious haircut.
I'll don my baseball cap and leather jacket then?

dragon

Oddly enough I can say with certainty that the Editorial Staff at IPMS USA's JOURNAL do not have such issues with Whiffs, my fault, they have seen my past work at club meetings. I have even convinced a cuple of these stalwart modelers into whiffing once a year- unfortunately they leave such things for "local consumption only" (never seen in a competition at any level).
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

rickshaw

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on January 11, 2012, 06:46:27 PM
Quote from: puddingwrestler on January 11, 2012, 06:38:54 PM
I'll don my baseball cap and leather jacket then?

Only if you have the matching glove puppet!  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MilitaryAircraft101

Oh, I've got a whole cupboard full...  :rolleyes:
Picked this up to add to the collection yesterday

rickshaw

Why, that makes you a devil-may-care, flying puppet fiend!  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MilitaryAircraft101

Don't even give Radish a chance to make a comment  :-\ :blink: ;)

The Wooksta!

Having had a quick read of that thread, I think most of them really, really, REALLY *REALLY* need to get laid.

Members with usernames and avatars of Nazi generals is also a cause for alarm. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

upnorth

The FSM forums these days are quite reflective of FSM itself; a shadow of their former selves.

I joined their forums in their early days and quite enjoyed them. Most of the members were pretty laid back, even the more serious ones had good things to say about the couple of WHIFFs I posted there. I wouldn't dare try putting a WHIFF there today.

I took some time off from their forums after some members had a rather large p*ssing contest and have tried to get back into them over the past year but too much has changed.

On top of that, their moderating recently got overly heavy handed for my tastes.

Sadly, I have to say I'm pretty much done with FSM in all contexts.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

MilitaryAircraft101

I went on again this morning, and to my surprise the "Does anyone want to see red tails?" Thread was locked! Eh? A further inquiry saw that they have LOCKED a thread because we were not talking about Red Tails anymore, but other interesting war films! If that's the amount of thread drift that will get you locked on that site, we'd only have one post in every thread!  ;D Bloody hell mate, the only times I've seen threads locked around here are when we had some people in miusnderstanding about a certain situation, or when a user just posts something to see - not comment... I think I may have to leave, it's getting way too hostile, but first, they'll love my F-4AU, which I will swear is real, see their reactions!