The Finescale JMN DEBATE!

Started by MilitaryAircraft101, January 11, 2012, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

I was a member of the FSM site for a few years and also had been subscribing to their magazine for even longer.
The magazine was actually worth reading about 15 years ago but the quality of the builds and articles dropped so much since then that now I won't even thumb through the magazine at a magazine stand. The forum also was good at the beginning but is now not even worth visiting anymore. Not surprised at all that the place has turned into JMN infested mess. I won't even bother reading the thread about the ship and what the JMN's say about it...I know how those people are.
Funny thing is their so called ''experts'' that trash others builds really don't know that much themselves and have no business pointing out any faults on someones elses model, if they must put down the accuracy of a model they better get the facts straight. A few times last year I did visit the FSM painting and airbrushing forum and was amused at some of the poor advice being given out, there are even a couple of airbrush experts there that are so Badger biased that they give some very skewed airbrushing advice and they give the impression that all other brands of airbrushes will never be as good as a Badger...I should say I have nothing against Badger and want that company to succeed but don't care for the way they are being promoted by a couple people that are sometimes regarded as airbrushing experts and have connections with the Badger company.

Matrixone

RussC

Quote from: matrixone on January 12, 2012, 12:12:47 PM
I was a member of the FSM site for a few years and also had been subscribing to their magazine for even longer.
The magazine was actually worth reading about 15 years ago but the quality of the builds and articles dropped so much since then that now I won't even thumb through the magazine at a magazine stand. The forum also was good at the beginning but is now not even worth visiting anymore. Not surprised at all that the place has turned into JMN infested mess. I won't even bother reading the thread about the ship and what the JMN's say about it...I know how those people are.
Funny thing is their so called ''experts'' that trash others builds really don't know that much themselves and have no business pointing out any faults on someones elses model, if they must put down the accuracy of a model they better get the facts straight. A few times last year I did visit the FSM painting and airbrushing forum and was amused at some of the poor advice being given out, there are even a couple of airbrush experts there that are so Badger biased that they give some very skewed airbrushing advice and they give the impression that all other brands of airbrushes will never be as good as a Badger...I should say I have nothing against Badger and want that company to succeed but don't care for the way they are being promoted by a couple people that are sometimes regarded as airbrushing experts and have connections with the Badger company.

Matrixone

Not surprising as that magazine is still (someone correct me if it is no longer so) under the umbrella of the Kalmbach group of hobby magazines, which includes a lot of model railroad and train enthusiast magazines and even my old fave Astronomy' magazine among a list of 2 or 3 dozen pubs. It would not be surprising that the editors run in favor of certain products that sponsor more heavily. Just because they buy less ads doesn't make Binks, Iwata or Paasche (my old standby) lesser tools.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Paulie

If i can say my opinion...

I was very shy to join scale modelling forums before... When i saw to what extent could rudeness go on that site. I know my models aren´t masterpieces, but i´m still learning as much i can :)
I saw criticism and defamation of such great builds :/

Some people just cant value peoples imagination, in a sense, whatiffing is an art, you forge your idea in sculpture and painting both  ;) maybe literary too :D good cover story will support the build

@ finescale i saw argument about how many projections (teeth) are on the wheel /7-8/ of panzer 3  1939 july -1940 may...  IN 1/144 scale.... ehm guys? :D am i missing something? they were ripping themselves about thing barely visible under magnifying glass...  or another about the right shade of something i didn´t know it exist :D

when will people learn?  :banghead:
Build what you want, how you want and have fun! :)

Sticky Fingers

People, people, JMNs need a home too...

MilitaryAircraft101

Well, I posted my F-4AU at finescale, and the first reply was really positive! I just hope the rest will be  ;D

rickshaw

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on January 12, 2012, 02:33:32 PM

Very true.  I'm rather glad that its not here though!  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on January 12, 2012, 04:12:55 PM

That makes two of us.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

upnorth

I though they had one: Hyperscale. :lol:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

upnorth

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on January 12, 2012, 12:09:34 PM
I went on again this morning, and to my surprise the "Does anyone want to see red tails?" Thread was locked! Eh? A further inquiry saw that they have LOCKED a thread because we were not talking about Red Tails anymore, but other interesting war films! If that's the amount of thread drift that will get you locked on that site, we'd only have one post in every thread!  ;D Bloody hell mate, the only times I've seen threads locked around here are when we had some people in miusnderstanding about a certain situation, or when a user just posts something to see - not comment... I think I may have to leave, it's getting way too hostile, but first, they'll love my F-4AU, which I will swear is real, see their reactions!

That threat getting locked is a direct result of FSM doing away with the "Off Topic" boards. If they'd kept the off topic section and divided it up a bit, they'd have had a place to move the thread to and let it live.

The deletion of the "Off Topic" boards is eveidence of their short sightedness in moderating. Did they seriously not forsee those discussions taking root in the modeling boards? Deleteing a whole forum board is no solution to a few problem members who won't listen to mods even after repeated warnings.

I recall the FSM forums when I joined, there was no Off Topic section and the boards were a bit cumbersome to sift through because of all the irrelevant chatter. The addition of Off Topic streamlined everything and made it much more pleasant.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

MilitaryAircraft101

RussC

Aircav

I think every forum has them to some degree.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

RussC

Quote from: Aircav on January 13, 2012, 12:07:31 AM

I think every forum has them to some degree.

Yes, but they are more often called...... trolls...

Rheged

Quote from: scooter on January 12, 2012, 06:23:59 PM

That makes two of us.

It makes at least three and probably a great many more. 

I do have considerable admiration for  a modeller who has tried to achieve real world prototype perfection in 1/72 (or other scales)   but  then of course I have equal if not greater admiration for a person whose prototype exists only  within their imagination.  Real world  modelllers are  technicians,  whiffers are artists.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Geoff

Quote from: Paulie on January 12, 2012, 02:24:43 PM
If i can say my opinion...

I was very shy to join scale modelling forums before... When i saw to what extent could rudeness go on that site. I know my models aren´t masterpieces, but i´m still learning as much i can :)
I saw criticism and defamation of such great builds :/

Some people just cant value peoples imagination, in a sense, whatiffing is an art, you forge your idea in sculpture and painting both  ;) maybe literary too :D good cover story will support the build

@ finescale i saw argument about how many projections (teeth) are on the wheel /7-8/ of panzer 3  1939 july -1940 may...  IN 1/144 scale.... ehm guys? :D am i missing something? they were ripping themselves about thing barely visible under magnifying glass...  or another about the right shade of something i didn´t know it exist :D

when will people learn?  :banghead:

Quote from: Rheged on January 13, 2012, 03:19:06 AM
Quote from: scooter on January 12, 2012, 06:23:59 PM

That makes two of us.

It makes at least three and probably a great many more. 

I do have considerable admiration for  a modeller who has tried to achieve real world prototype perfection in 1/72 (or other scales)   but  then of course I have equal if not greater admiration for a person whose prototype exists only  within their imagination.  Real world  modelllers are  technicians,  whiffers are artists.

Pretty much sums them up. :banghead: