My thoughts and what's on the workbench.

Started by McColm, January 11, 2012, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Wednesday 11th September 2024

I'm cleaning the fridge and managed to get up all by myself without having to hold on to the radiator or a chair. My air fryer has stopped working so I have changed the fuse and still nothing, no lights. I've been online and discovered that the model does have a known fault, sending it back would be the answer but until my strength returns I will buy a roasting try besides the hob and the microwave still works.
I've also had a credit assessment and found that I have only one credit card to repay, so a repayment plan has been set up.

On the job/renewal SIA Licence front, Southwark College administration department has returned from their summer holidays, photos and signatures have been sent off but still no sign of the certificates. I'm not in any hurry to return but the WhatsApp group is getting very impatient.
In October I will start buying Christmas food and not leave it until the last minute. Although last Christmas was the best one so far okay two weeks early at least I didn't go hungry.
Just waiting for the October Budget, the minimum living wage is set to rise which I hope is the same for the minimum wage. Before I was admitted to hospital back in May 2021 I was earning £11.30 a hour on a three day week.  Four days kept me within the 40% tax bracket.
For a bit of extra cash I suppose I can always return to being a trade plate driver, I'll have to look into this.

Back to the workbench, things are moving slowly. I've run out of black paint and filler. Another rummage in the decals should see the 1/72 F-35BXL Widow Cranky finished along with the Su-47 ECR. With a bit of work done on the Avro Shackleton MR.7.

McColm

Friday 13th September 2024

The return to Hogwarts has caused chaos at Kings Cross Station as the usual announcement was cancelled, there's been a few changes at the station so the entrance to platform 9 & 3/4 is now on platform 5.
Naturally I have been watching the films in the series and additional footage on YouTube. Some of the characters are now in 00 gauge but I'm not paying the outrageous prices for the Hogsmeade station set. Okay it's resin cast and some of the pieces don't fit but I'm creating my own one using secondhand kits.
The film footage of the arrival at the station shows the station building but it should be the other side with the students crossing over the foot bridge. There's quite a few mistakes in the films.
If Hogwarts had an air force, non-jet. I think that I could create something now that the Vickers Wisley has been built.
 I've seen the rain on a sunny day, which was yesterday. Sunny but raining. A slight mix-up on the administration department dealing with my SIA Licence but everything is sorted so I should be receiving an email within the next few weeks to confirm that my certificates have been added to my account and my application can be submitted so back to work in November/December, fingers crossed, touch wood.
It's been a learning experience receiving benefits, I'll still need to budget for the first three months until I'm settled in.
Well I have 25 builds to finish and replenish the stash. Plus all those D.I.Y. Jobs on my list!

McColm

Monday 16th September 2024

Good news my certificates have been added to my SIA Licence account and I've filled in the online form as per request. I got a reference number back and need to get my documents certified at a Post Office SIA Licence checking counter. There's one in Blackheath and the other is in Greenwich. I've been to the one in Greenwich before which is near my doctor's surgery. I will book an appointment as I've started to get shooting pains at the back of my knees which lasts a few seconds. The NHS Helpline suggests ICE which I have been doing.
Just waiting for confirmation of a three day I.T. course in Eltham which starts in October. Got to collect a laptop which I can keep after the course has finished. Saving up for a printer which should come in very handy.
 If you shop in Poundstretcher check your receipt as the price on the shelf isn't the same as the one at the till,could have bought another packet of biscuits 😀!
Still feeling tired after my Universal Credit Work meeting I thought this would fade away.

On the workbench the 1/24 Jaguar Mk2 V12 Mud Racer has a new exhaust system, the Avro Shackleton MR.7 is undergoing a face-lift,  the RAF Launch is almost finished so too is the F-35BXL whilst the Electronic Buzzard has sanding around the canopy . The Boeing Waddington AEW has had a bit of sanding as well. As to the Shorts Seal MR.1 I have no idea what the end result will be. Started life as the 1/144 A-90 and now its got three turbofan engines!

I keep seeing the bodyshells of the 00 gauge Hornby Hogwarts Express in various stages of disrepair, so I was wondering if it would fit onto a cheap battery powered locomotive.

scooter

Re: the printer.  Find a cheap laser, either black and white or color.  Toner goes so much further in them than with an inkjet, even if the cost is more per initial volume.  While I'm on my third black cartridge, it's been 4 years since I started printing heavily thanks (initially) to the pandemic, but also because we have to keep paper records for audit purposes. I can't imagine how much I would have spent on ink if I didn't have a laser.

Plus, unlike an inkjet, it'll keep printing when you're out of a particular toner color.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Quote from: scooter on September 16, 2024, 07:51:13 AMRe: the printer.  Find a cheap laser, either black and white or color.  Toner goes so much further in them than with an inkjet, even if the cost is more per initial volume.  While I'm on my third black cartridge, it's been 4 years since I started printing heavily thanks (initially) to the pandemic, but also because we have to keep paper records for audit purposes. I can't imagine how much I would have spent on ink if I didn't have a laser.

Plus, unlike an inkjet, it'll keep printing when you're out of a particular toner color.
Thanks Scooter  :thumbsup:

McColm

Tuesday 17th September 2024

I was woken up by the scurrying sound of mice on linoleum in the kitchen, as they hate the smell of bleach I moped all the floors. I had to use my emergency mop as the other one fell apart (the head fell off in clumps).
4am and I can't get back to sleep so I ended up watching the film 'A bridge too far ' right up until the credits at the end, out like a light.
The trees are starting to change colour, the last of the summer feels warm in my hobby room. Twenty-two builds left to do.
The Shorts Seal has been fitted with a new landing gear and T-tail, the RAF Launch has the port and starboard lights painted, the Jaguar Mk2 Mud Racer looks bruised and battered from each of the pervious owners who have tweaked it from a road car to a track racer, rally and mud racer. The sort of vehicle that would be useful if you needed to cross a causeway and not get your feet wet.
An easy day with plenty of rest.

McColm

Wednesday 18th September 2024

The Shorts Seal MR.1 has a stand and a kitbash using the Dinky Toys Pink Panther plus spare parts.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Thursday 19th September 2024

last night I collected a laptop at Sainsburys Argos collections counter through Universal Credit as I'm doing a three day basic computer course in Eltham . I think it starts on the first week of October. The laptop is new to me and I'm in the process of setting it up, I'm no expert it's a HP Stream 11-ak0027na, 29.46cm/11.6 inch screen, 64GB eMMC.
I'm slowly getting used to the touchpad and haven't found where the Apps Store is yet. Feeling a bit tired as the 30 minutes of walking without a sit down break must mean I'm getting better.
I'II probably use this for emails and uploading photos to start with and use my tablet for playing games.