My thoughts and what's on the workbench.

Started by McColm, January 11, 2012, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Wednesday 19th July 2023

I have been playing the online game Asphalt 8, the graphics have improved and the dock scene has changed from F-14s to F-18s. Skills learnt from the other online racing games have really helped but there's too many commercials which seems to spoil the enjoyment of the game.
 On the bench the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat is in the final stages, all those tiny pieces. I have decided to do them in stages as my concentration only seems to last for 5 minutes.
The Westland Ravernclaw Series 2023 is turning into a gunship as the wings from a A-10 have been glued in place, a in-flight refuelling probe from the
MH-47E plus a few a few sensors added on. The winch from a EH-101 has also been glued on. I've run out of filler/putty.

There's been a lot of renovation in the close which is a mixture of two storey houses and four storey flats, the council has been busy collecting the waste from the payments. I've noticed that one of the houses has its own air-conditioning units whilst the temperature hasn't hit 40°C in some parts of Europe Britain doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with temperatures of 30 +.
EVs interestingly there's far and few charging points for the residents, I've also noticed that the London buses have new stickers to indicate if they are electric or bio-diesel.
There will need a steady stream of engines for the hybrid vehicles and range extenders, ships,  boats and aircraft plus trains. The generator to charge the battery to get your car to the nearest charging point which is out of order when you arrive. Yes zero emissions is beneficial but comes at a cost.

Pellson

I have to say that the EV revolution is proceeding both significantly faster and a lot more trouble free than anyone expected only a decade ago. And while I still cling to my old fossil monsters, electric drive is the one way forward for personal transportation. Significantly less maintenance, using less than a third of the energy the most efficient combustion engines vehicles use, and infinitely better drive ability due to torque access. The one and only thing I'm truly missing is the sound of a well working burner engine.

But sure, they're not perfect yet. But give things another decade..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Sound generator.  Choose how your car will sound when you start it up.
V8, Turbo 4, Gas Turbine, Steam Engine, Tie Fighter, V12 Aero Engine...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

And you're also judging the (lack of) infrastructure to support EVs based on a hundred+ years of infernal combustion.  You go back to the dawn of the automobile a hundred, hundred and 25 years ago, and you have the same situation - a lack of infrastructure dedicated to the automobile.  It took two world wars for the motor to replace the horse.
Quote from: zenrat on July 22, 2023, 07:06:07 AMSound generator.  Choose how your car will sound when you start it up.
Horseshoes on cobblestone :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Quote from: scooter on July 22, 2023, 08:06:52 AMAnd you're also judging the (lack of) infrastructure to support EVs based on a hundred+ years of infernal combustion.  You go back to the dawn of the automobile a hundred, hundred and 25 years ago, and you have the same situation - a lack of infrastructure dedicated to the automobile.  It took two world wars for the motor to replace the horse.
Quote from: zenrat on July 22, 2023, 07:06:07 AMSound generator.  Choose how your car will sound when you start it up.
Horseshoes on cobblestone :wacko:
In my mind I keep thinking about using something similar to the trolley buses used on London streets. This system would be used for lorries. I'm not old enough to remember the trolley buses but I have seen them at the London Transport Museum plus the odd video . I will get around to building a scale model or converting a toy. It's a tram without any track.

NARSES2

There was at least one trolley bus route still going in Croydon when I was a kid because I used to get it to go and see my Gran. That'd be late 50's.

They ripped all the infrastructure out in the 60's. Mind you they did the same with the tram imfrastructure and then it became trendy to have a tram system again so they put it all back in.  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I used to travel on the TRAMS from Croydon up to London and down to Purley when  I was little!

The current Croydon trams don't use the same routes as the old ones though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I used to work in Norfolk House in Croydon, Premier Inn was next door so travelling on the trams was great fun. When I was a Trade Plate Driver I used the trams in Manchester to get around.
I'm 57 years old today, got a birthday card from my mum yesterday and a text message this morning. It's been very quiet on the media sites. Having had a rummage for some parts for the Wellington--Halifax-Lancaster kitbash aka Whale I have found some decals to finish off two of my builds.
The tiredness is still there, I would have thought that this would have surpassed by now, sleeping is still messed up and all of my memories are back. The sycamore trees out the front are starting to shead their leaves so autumn is on it's way.

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 23, 2023, 07:08:31 AMThere was at least one trolley bus route still going in Croydon when I was a kid because I used to get it to go and see my Gran. That'd be late 50's.

They ripped all the infrastructure out in the 60's. Mind you they did the same with the tram imfrastructure and then it became trendy to have a tram system again so they put it all back in.  :angel:

It's certainly trendy to have a tram line in Edinburgh at least, according to City of Edinburgh Clowncil. Over five years late, 100% over budget, serves only about 10% of the city, is currently running at only about 30% capacity and, will take an estimated 20 years just to break even! It gets better! They want to add more lines but, having mortgaged the entire city for 30 years just to get ONE line completed.........................................!!!!. Yes, all our tram infrastructure was ripped up in 1958. Thing is, Edinburgh already has an excellent, cheap and reliable bus service that runs 24/7. We never even needed a tram to begin with . :banghead:   But, as you said, it's trendy...........!
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on July 23, 2023, 08:32:24 AMI'm 57 years old today, got a birthday card from my mum yesterday and a text message this morning.

Happy birthday  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 24, 2023, 06:29:58 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 23, 2023, 08:32:24 AMI'm 57 years old today, got a birthday card from my mum yesterday and a text message this morning.

Thanks it was a peaceful day watching the rain  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on July 24, 2023, 06:54:58 AM

Couple of times I've actually enjoyed sitting somewhere tropical with a pint in hand and watching the torrential rain  ;D

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 24, 2023, 07:05:38 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 24, 2023, 06:54:58 AM

Couple of times I've actually enjoyed sitting somewhere tropical with a pint in hand and watching the torrential rain  ;D
Gibraltar was the best place to see an electric storm disappear along the Mediterranean coast.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on July 24, 2023, 09:41:49 AMGibraltar was the best place to see an electric storm disappear along the Mediterranean coast.

I can recall standing at Europa Point, the southernmost lump of Gibraltar, but not of Europe, and watching such a storm approaching from the west, and deciding on the optimum time to GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!  :o

And happy delayed birthday too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thank you all for your birthday wishes, something inside of me has awoken my need to get my started builds finished. My two fighter bombers are undergoing painting.
The BAe Jetstream E.10 seems to be missing and the 1/72 F-4B 'fade the grey' restoration project is almost finished. The decals seem to be weathering very well, fading in some places. Yes I know that I used the landing gear from a broken Grumman A-6 Intruder but it works. I've used the seats in the BAC Lightning Thunderbolt.
I've also had a go at painting Hornby 00 gauge four wheeled carriages in the colours of the Hogwarts Houses, I just need a parcels van to finish with. A few more pieces of track and I will have an outer track as well as the inner oval.
Hornby Trains now does the Railroad Plus range, which is worth a look, I shall be buying a few more Dapol Kitmaster kits and I hope to finish them this time.