My thoughts and what's on the workbench.

Started by McColm, January 11, 2012, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Thursday 27th July 2023

My build of the two seater FB-23B V/STOL hasn't turned out the way I planned it,  however with the 1/72 HobbyBoss F-22 Raptor on it's way to address parts will be used to create a V/STOL version. The wings, engines and part of the fuselage from the remaining F-23 will be incorporated in the Airfix 1/72 Tornado F.3.
Whereas the F-22 could possibly be within the realms of the GB build that's if I finish it in time, there will be a lot of primer used over the next few months on my larger builds.
I have found a source for the decals.

McColm

Sunday 30th July 2023

I can't remember if the topic of building a 1/72 RF-15 Eagle has been covered before, as with the F-4 Phantom there's so many models to choose from and no two are the same, the same can be said for the F-18 although there is an RF-18 version and Italeri produced the 1/72 model kit. I think there was a conversion set available but it might have ceased when the EF-18 Growler came into service.
Most kits nowadays have the wings moulded into the upper and lower fuselage,  early Airfix kits had them separately along with the conformal fuel tanks. A kitbash of the F-15 and F-22 has to be built, the two seater would definitely be a whiff with the two side air-to-air missiles in their weapons bays. F-15EX configuration.
RF-15 Peek(Peak )Eagle was the unbuilt project and something similar to the RF-4E was also proposed but not built. Silent Eagle is the latest model by Boeing.
It's raining in Charlton Southeast London,  although it feels very humid. As my mum would say, 'we're in for an Indian Summer ' meaning a late summer in September.
If my resin experiments work I will use the lifting engine in the F-22N Sea Raptor,  press some plasticine over it and repeat a few times,  then spray the silicone on before adding the epoxy resin mixture. Hopefully this time around it will set. Propellers and door mirrors next.
Got an idea for the Eurofighter Typhoon V/STOL and F-16 to which there was a concept design.

McColm

Tuesday 1st August 2023

Looks like I have been bitten by an insect,I killed a mosquito and one of those yellow & black ladybugs. Sleeping without any covers due to the humidity at night.
Back on the workbench the 1/72 Westland Ravernclaw KAH.1, Lockheed Martin Sea Raptor
RF-22N (it's got the camera pod from a F-14A in the nose), the Northrop YF-23B Black Widow III (landing gear glued on, PSR) the Su-47 two seater now has the canards and nose cone added PSR.
PSR application on the 124 Rolls-Royce Phantom Menace Ute.
There are one or two kits of the F-15 that have separate wings so a two seater F-22 is still possible.
Must get back to finish the 1/72 BAC TSR 2 and the ex Severn Class Lifeboat.
Never been into motorcycles but a trike could be the answer. Front end motorbike rear end car.

NARSES2

I've picked up a couple of bites last few days, take ages to heal at my age  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Saturday 5th August 2023

Most of my insect bites have healed with just a little bit of redness still remaining, at least they don't itch anymore. The quartet of 1/72 fighter aircraft has really astonished me in my kitbashing technique. By a mistake of mine the Sparrow Hawk V/STOL now has a nose mounted muzzle for the gun/cannon, removed from the wing. The Manta Ray has a combination of aircraft resemblances referencing previous Northrop aircraft, I will scribe a weapons bay into the rear fuselage. The Rapturous has the landing gear fitted with a nose weight and the Buzzard has a new nose which suits it.
Got some items for the recycling bins and I will go for a walk later in the day.

McColm

Tuesday 9th August 2023

On the workbench the 1/72 BAe Kite Tilt-Jet AEW.1 now has the drop fuel tanks from a F-14A, I thought that I had lost the cockpit canopy but instead found more parts from a Revell Tornado GR.1 so I can use them on the Manta Ray FGR.1.
The BAe Sparrow Hawk has had the wheel well doors added and a pair of wheels taken from my spare parts boxes as I have also misplaced the tyres from the kit. The build has the glazed canopy plus an improvised in-flight refuelling probe glued in place.
A little bit of PSR until the putty ran out on the General Dynamics Rapturous FGR.1,  having found a reel of 1mm masking tape I have been experimenting using this on the canopy. I think a few strips painted will do the trick.
The Sukhoi Buzzard FRS.1 now has a pair of twin tail fins taken from the Mig-29 UB and they resemble canards.
Decals and getting this lot finished is the priority, so I can finish a few of the heavies,  then there's the odd kit to restore the long term stash.

McColm

Saturday 12th August 2023

Buffalo Airways now has its own Boeing 737,so they have made it into the jet age. The Lockheed SR-72 mockup is now at the Evergreen Aircraft Museum,  that's the one that was in the latest Top Gun film.
Meanwhile back on the workbench the 1/72 Avro Canada Golden Arrow F.2 is in the finishing stages,  likewise the Westland Ravernclaw KAH.2 and the BAe Tilt-Jet Kite AEW.1.
The Airfix 1/72 YF-22 Lightning II aka General Dynamics Rapturous FGR.1 has had a hard landing and the main landing gear has collapsed, I'm thinking Sea Plane as I can use up some of my floats.
I'm running desperately low on supplies which is a blessing in disguise as it means that I can concentrate on the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat and get it finished.
 I've finally paid back my Universal Credit loans so the extra tenner can be put towards my Christmas Dinner Fund and return to the Gym now I have my nerves under control.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on August 12, 2023, 03:08:40 AMI've finally paid back my Universal Credit loans

Always a good feeling whenever any loan is paid off  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 12, 2023, 05:36:39 AM
Quote from: McColm on August 12, 2023, 03:08:40 AMI've finally paid back my Universal Credit loans

Always a good feeling whenever any loan is paid off  :thumbsup:

Another step forward, Steven.  Well done.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Thanks Guys for your comments. Feeling very tired so no whiffery today, just playing Asphalt 8 which has changed a bit from the last time I downloaded it. Can't buy any extras so it's a case of watching videos to gain the credits. There's a Soul Festival in September and I can almost remember most of the line up,Croydon is a bit far for me to travel plus I would need to sit down and just listen. Perhaps next year I will be able to go out to visit places.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on August 12, 2023, 09:52:02 AMThere's a Soul Festival in September and I can almost remember most of the line up,Croydon is a bit far for me to travel plus I would need to sit down and just listen.

It's actually Beckenham. I was looking at the line-up myself and apart from Sister Sledge on the Saturday and UB 40 on the Sunday most of the other acts appear to be tribute bands or bands who've lost their lead eg : Desmond Decker's Aces rather than Desmond Decker and the Aces.  There's a few more like that  :rolleyes:

McColm

Tuesday 15th August 2023

Another night of restless sleep, so I decided to play the online racing game Asphalt 8.I  didn't know what buttons I pressed but it seems that my car collection has multiplied from 20 cars to 75 plus five motorcycles. I have a car in every category. It seems to me like all my old cars from the previous times that I played the game have been reinstated.
I'm dog tired this morning so no whiffery, supplies are at the critical stage. I have been surfing the Internet and found a few broken models that I can salvage a few parts to finish a few of my current builds so the Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat might become a torpedoe boat. The Ford Capri panel van could get a side round window and groovy decals, the idea is based on the Ford Pinto.
The Austin FX-4 Monster truck needs detailing, I've seen an incomplete model kit so some of the parts will be used.
 An odd occurrence happened last night with my electricity meter monitor,  I know that there's £69 credit as I haven't used up the last coupon but a message flashed up saying 'please use your emergency top up'. This didn't make any sense so I just left it. Well the lights didn't go out so it must have been a glitch.
Bed, take care and stay safe.

McColm

Thursday 17th August 2023

I have finished defrosting the fridge and spent about 20 minutes trying to get the shelves back in. I also have used two of the racks to build a taller shelving unit and discovered that I'm going to need some more. I can't wait to get my strength back so I can do some DIY for something more permanent the racks will form the base of my 00 gauge railway layout plan 13 from the fifth edition of Peco 00/ho planbook.  With a slight change the layout will be all on the same level, simplified so I can use it with a DC controller or two The Hogwarts Hotel will be in two separate wings. I will scratchbuild the connecting bridges either that or a tunnel
The mosquitoes are back I only got bitten twice this time.
It's going to be hot hot 🔥 next week with the odd thunderstorm thrown in.

McColm

Monday 21st August 2023

Not much happened over the weekend. I found a homemade ice cream recipe on YouTube which I can follow now that the fridge has defrosted. So the access to the ice box is free.
I have an idea for the 1/72 Airfix BAC TSR.2 to go down the reconnaissance route,  someone did produce the camera pack for the model but I haven't been able to find one. The North American RA-5C might be the best route or the F-18G Growler. I haven't built the Hornet model, so I will be on the lookout for the Italeri RF-18.
The 1/24 Austin FX-4 Ute 4x4, has changed as I have stripped down the broken R/C chassis and cut off the cab cabin. This will be replaced by the R/C cabin once I buy some superglue and filler.
The Chinese Money plant is outgrowing it's pot,that will be great fun as I enjoy gardening might get some herbs to grow on the window ledge, my second attempt of using the epoxy resin is underway. I put some plasticine in two coffee jar lids and inserted the door mirrors left and right. Should make 8 pairs if they turn out. A spurt of silicone spray as the release agent then the correct contents of the two part resin, this time with added dye. Should be ready by Tuesday.
I watched Top Gun Maverick last night, there's talk of a third film maybe we will see him flying the F-35B!

McColm

Tuesday 22nd August 2023

It worked this time of course one set seems better than the other so it's the case of cutting out the door mirrors and trimming/cleaning them up. More experiments to follow as I will always need in-flight refuelling probes and nose camera packs.
You can get quicker setting epoxy resin two part sets, I might need this for larger moulds.
I'm at a standstill for now as my larger builds just need a coat of primer and I need to restock.
There's usually something going on over the bank holiday weekend in Greenwich down at the museum, I haven't been, it's free so I might have a walk around plenty of benches to sit if I start feeling tired and a good bus service.