My thoughts and what's on the workbench.

Started by McColm, January 11, 2012, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: McColm on February 15, 2024, 12:57:22 AMThere's a job fair on the 5th March at the Powis Street Jobcentre,  more money to be spent on a belt and printing out my CV. I don't think tracksuit bottoms with trainers gives the right impression 🤔.
Got a meeting with my Universal Credit Work Coach on the 28th of February to discuss my options for returning to 'some work '.

Tracksuit and trainers only work if you're applying to be a sports instructor at the local gym  ;)

Clean ironed shirt and trousers and shiny smart shoes work well for all interviews. You can do that easily. You know how to get jobs. It's what you tell them about your condition that will be the deciding factor. How will you persuade them to employ somebody who has been off work for 3 years with an ongoing illness?

Do consider part-time work to ease yourself back into it. Take it one day at a time.
Another thought - you have military experience so have you looked at firms that specialize in employing ex-services? They may be more sympathetic to employing you.

Good luck. I'm sure it will work out for you.  :thumbsup: 

McColm

Quote from: Nick on February 15, 2024, 10:27:11 AM
Quote from: McColm on February 15, 2024, 12:57:22 AMThere's a job fair on the 5th March at the Powis Street Jobcentre,  more money to be spent on a belt and printing out my CV. I don't think tracksuit bottoms with trainers gives the right impression 🤔.
Got a meeting with my Universal Credit Work Coach on the 28th of February to discuss my options for returning to 'some work '.

Tracksuit and trainers only work if you're applying to be a sports instructor at the local gym  ;)

Clean ironed shirt and trousers and shiny smart shoes work well for all interviews. You can do that easily. You know how to get jobs. It's what you tell them about your condition that will be the deciding factor. How will you persuade them to employ somebody who has been off work for 3 years with an ongoing illness?

Do consider part-time work to ease yourself back into it. Take it one day at a time.
Another thought - you have military experience so have you looked at firms that specialize in employing ex-services? They may be more sympathetic to employing you.

Good luck. I'm sure it will work out for you.  :thumbsup: 
My Universal Credit Work Coach keeps forgetting that I have a job as a security officer to return to. I have to show willingness that I'm looking for employment otherwise my benefits will be reduced.

McColm

I've gone back to Real Racing 3 as there's a steering glinch when I try and play Asphalt 8. Even when I have deleted the app and reinstalled it, it's still there. Besides a different challenge will be beneficial, the graphics are sharper plus the engine sounds are real as the team recorded the cars when they were at the track.

McColm

Tuesday 20th February 2024

The Airfix Vintage Classic Fairey Rotodyne was a bitter disappointment, that's only my opinion. Bumps and lumps, flash and sinkholes all over the place. So the fuselage halves are in the bin. The quality controller needs replacing ASAP.
Of course any other whifferters would wash the plastic,  clean it up, PSR in the places, then decide what to do next.
Some of the parts have been used on other builds meaning that I will need to buy another two for what I have in mind plus a larger saw.
I've been using up the Green Putty on the places I missed for the builds on the workbench shelf.
The Eagle Harrier is undergoing a rebuild, whilst rummaging I also found a 1/24 resin bodyshell of a 1/24 European Ford Capri Mk1 and a Jaguar Mk2. The 1/32 Frog Austin 1100 will be converted into a static model for the 1960s GB if it gets approved otherwise it's my next project.
The European Ford Capri will receive parts from a 1/24 Ford Mustang,  Revell sell two1960s models so I'll probably shop around for cheaper kits. As for the Tamiya Jaguar Mk2 model kits they are expensive. I have an idea but it will be a kitbash.

I have difficulty in clearing certain areas in my flat so I have decided to buy a hand held steam cleaner.
Ladybirds and bees have been trying to invade my flat, my theory is that the flat was vacant for a long time during Covid so it became their home. The use of diluted bleach as a deterrent for mice is working.
I fill my days with watching birds building their nests or watching the neighbours cats but I keep returning to the question what is the purpose of the Wood Pigeon,  surely they must know that there's a cat behind them. Run and hide, no just carry on looking for worms.

McColm

Wednesday 21st February 2024

Why do I feel so tired, I haven't done anything strenuous even after a good nights sleep and that's another thing sleep, I can't get back to sleep.
So on the workbench the Airfix quick build LEVC Taxi is looking more like a Ute or pick-up truck/van, yes I have used glue in some areas and sawn off other parts.
The 1/72 Boeing Eagle Harrier has been disassembled, this will be a new kit with additional parts.
The Marsh Harrier is undergoing PSR  whilst the Electronic Buzzard ECR.2 has a new flight crew and clear canopy.
More rummaging and parts for the 1/24 resin bodyshell Ford Capri Mk1, well the floor but it isn't a Ford. I think that the Revell Ford Mustang '69' parts should fit with a bit of persuasion. I have found some clear plastic for the windscreens although dry testing when the other kit arrives might change the outcome.
Lunchtime and I'm watching episodes of Shed & Buried on YouTube. Put the rubbish bag out and time for another coffee.
Must have dozed off,time for bed.

McColm

Monday 26th February 2024

It's been an odd few days, I can't concentrate on any of my builds for longer than an hour at a time. I seem to be expiring below waistband having to change my underwear twice in a day, plus the heating is off apart from the radiator in the bathroom. So I have been doing online jigsaw puzzles, these require concentration and memory as you only get a few seconds to study the completed picture before the pieces are jumbled up. Another discovery is chair yoga,  there are apps but YouTube has a few videos. I can't do all the exercises but I will keep trying.
I'm also wearing my glasses a lot more than I used to, not just for reading but it's the getting used to seeing straight edges with curves sort of freaks me out.
Then there's the Chinese money plant, more flowers. The last lot have died but more new shoots are on there way, is this a sign of better things to come. All I know is that my monthly allowance has increased but my rent and utility bills have increased so no advantage.
 Got to start planning for my return to work, practicing ironing with my clothes steamer. Probably will have to buy an iron and ironing board. Best buy the larger sized milk containers so that I can fill them up with water when they are empty and use them as weights to improve the strength in my arms.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on February 25, 2024, 11:43:47 PMMonday 26th February 2024

It's been an odd few days, I can't concentrate on any of my builds for longer than an hour at a time. I seem to be expiring below waistband having to change my underwear twice in a day,

Be careful with that, if it lasts for more then 24 hours or so then see a Dr or phone the NHS help Line.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 26, 2024, 07:12:39 AM
Quote from: McColm on February 25, 2024, 11:43:47 PMMonday 26th February 2024

It's been an odd few days, I can't concentrate on any of my builds for longer than an hour at a time. I seem to be expiring below waistband having to change my underwear twice in a day,

Be careful with that, if it lasts for more then 24 hours or so then see a Dr or phone the NHS help Line.
Thanks for the information  :thumbsup:

McColm

Tuesday 27th February 2024

It looks like I have enough spare parts for the resin bodyshell of the Ford Capri Mk1, this will be a prototype for the 1960s GB. From the photos that I have seen the European Capri was never fitted with wire wheels nor was it based on the P100 pickup.
The lights will be different, similar to the concept artwork of the period. I knew that the lollipop sticks would come in handy and those leftover parts from the Italeri truck accessories pack. Just leaves the windscreen and rear window.
Note to self ×primer × masking tape.
The queue is getting bigger and there's a lot of spraying to be done. Got my mask.
In addition to the 1/24 or 1/25 European Ford Capri Mk1 pickup I have bought a pair of Hong-Kong Lucky Mini Mite racing cars and four broken cars off eBay.  From what I can see two are AC Cobras but different sizes, a Chevrolet Corvette and a Lambo. It's a salvage operation as none of them have windscreens. I might be able to restore one but the rest will be stripped for parts.

McColm

Wednesday 28th February 2024

I have an appointment with the National Careers Service on the 12th March and I have been pencilled in for the Door Supervisors Course for my SIA Licence in Croydon so I can attend events in and around the London area on a part-time basis. My Universal Credit Work Coach is keen for me to pursue the London Furniture School course in French Polish and other finishes, so if I can earn more than £675 per month I don't have to claim Universal Credit any more.

On the workbench front I've bought the Northern Belle 00 gauge coach decals pack of three, these will be applied to the Hornby Junior Paddington Express train keeping one of the Paddington coaches in its original form.
The 1/25 Ford Capri Mk1 will be a motorsport support vehicle or paddock van.
Just waiting for my packages to arrive, sanding continues at a steady pace.
 In the kitchen more experiments with the air fryer and a few new recipes to try out.

McColm

Friday 1st March 2024

My Dink Meccano Austin 1800 diecast model car arrived this morning and will go up on one of my shelves along with the two AC Cobra 427 models one is the Maistro with Jaguar XJ220 wheels as one wheel was missing and the other one is the Revell model. They both have missing windscreens, doors that open and bonnets/hoods that open to reveal the engines with steerable front wheels. Corvette has a lot of missing parts and the Lamborghini is beyond repair.
I also received the printed coach 00 gauge Northern Belle stickers and not decals. So one of the carriages from the Hornby Junior Express battery powered train set has been transformed from a toy to something decent.The carriages are slightly longer than the UK coaches which meant using up most of the printed stickers. With a bit of trimming the carriage doesn't look too bad.
Work has started on the Ford Capri motorsport support vehicle, the basic layout sorted from spare parts.

McColm

Tuesday 12th March 2024

Today I attended an appointment with the National Careers Service at Woolwich Jobcentre Plus, Wellington Street. It was a bit like seeing the Careers Advisor at school and getting asked the question what job do you want to do or where do think you will be in ten years time?
Barclays Bank Generator can offer you a new business startup loan and asks questions like what can you offer that your competitors are lacking as one of my options was to start my own 3D printing business for the scale modeller. I know that I can create a collar to transform a radial engine into a turboprop. A scaled up version based on the Alleycat turboprop Dakota conversion set but I will still need a regular income to fund my trips to museums and the archives for research purposes. So I can answer the question 'I now know why no one has built this version before.'

Useful information.
nationalcareersservice.gov.uk
This website lets you improve your cv and has grouped together titles of jobs that you might have dismissed, it offers courses and grants. Preparing job applications and enrollments.
However if you'd like free online courses then check out Alison, that's also an app but you'll have to scroll through the lists as it generalises your request.
There's the website: Adzunda.co.uk which explores the labour market comparing salaries and trends.
So 3D printing as a business will grow in popularity for those car parts that are hard to find or spare parts that are needed as a hobbyist.

Conclusion
The service provides information and with research can point you in the direction of getting a job that is suitable for you.
As for me I'm sticking with being a part-time security officer/door supervisor as my health improves I can increase my shifts although I know that I will never be 100% fit but reach a level that I can do most of the chores without feeling tired after the first five minutes.
Yes I'm aware that hobbies turned into businesses don't have a high success rate. If I can combine the two, who knows you could be a modeller building the Spruce Goose from scaled wooden parts!

I  was looking on the Freightdog website and came across the 1/72 BAC TSR.2 Interceptor conversion set and thought would this fit on a 1/72 North American RA-5C?
I know that North America had the intention of using the F-108 Rapier as a high-speed Interceptor but what about the Vigilante, another one for the 1960s GB.
As to my car building skills I need to build a few kits so I can get used to the layouts rather than guessing and hoping that it looks correct as the prices on Kingkit are within my budget.

NARSES2

Stick with what your comfortable with  :thumbsup: 

Quote from: McColm on March 13, 2024, 12:45:36 AMToday I attended an appointment with the National Careers Service at Woolwich Jobcentre Plus, Wellington Street. It was a bit like seeing the Careers Advisor at school and getting asked the question what job do you want to do or where do think you will be in ten years time?

Back in my day no such thing existed. Sure, masters would probably attempt to steer you down a path or you went to work with your dad or your mum. If you had no idea you went down the Labour Exchange. Mind you with virtually 100% employment there was plenty of room to experiment.

How the world's changed....and not necessarily for the better. Geez I think I'm becoming a grumpy old man  :angel:  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Thursday 14th March 2024

My first 1960s GB build is finished, yes it could have been better if I had a model kit of the Ford Capri Mk1. I used to have a few, I used some parts on the Ford Capri Mk2 panel van and in the restoration of the V4 Zakspeed.
Prices have gone a bit silly for the plastic model kits, although you can get bodyshells in various scales and very good die-cast models.

The Hornby Junior Express/Paddington battery powered train set can run on 00/ho gauge track although it's very noisy which means that I can run two trains on my layout or three if I include the Thomas the tank engine clockwork powered but I think that he will go back in the box as he's in mint condition.
I shall be experimenting on how steep a gradient the battery powered train can manage and I did come across a flying hovercraft so the wings from the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne might fit.
It's more sanding to do on the shelf queens but that's tomorrow as the paint dries on the Capri.
Let's see if I can update my CV on the Microsoft Office 380 software, I spent an hour and it only saved one line.

McColm

Monday 18th March 2024

Modern technology is marvellous when it works, the National Careers Service has set up my own account unfortunately I don't have access to it as it has rejected both of my email addresses.
I would use yahoo but my account has been hacked, I know that there's other email accounts to choose from but my method is keep it simple.
It must be spring, Greenwich Council has cut the grass and shaped the hedges so hay-fever season has begun, Charlton hasn't had any of the snow that was forecasted but is waiting for the mini-heatwave.
On a positive note once again I don't have to pay the council tax until the 1st April 2025.
There are people who believe that numbers play apart in the life-circle of a person,  for me it's the number 13. This was the door number of the family home in West Twyford, 13 weeks probation as an inspector at the BBC Television Centre and now 13 weeks until my sick note expires.
So the number 4 must mean something as I have had four pulmonary embolisms and spent 4 days in an induced coma, so there must be another four somewhere in the future. Four winning numbers in the lottery would be great or £4,000,000. That would suit me better.