Tarangus Models

Started by Weaver, January 14, 2012, 04:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

No. If that was the case, they'd only sell limited-limited double combos, and those would come with thrice the price tag.  :party:

Librarian

Mossie

1/72 Viggen due first half this year, AJ 37 and JA 37.  Masters by Special Hobby.
https://www.tarangus.se
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Mossie on February 19, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
1/72 Viggen due first half this year, AJ 37 and JA 37.  Masters by Special Hobby.
Looks like the sprues contain the parts for Sk 37 trainer (and as such, the basis for the EW conversion thereof) too. SF/SH might require a new nose (though why not add those too, since the other differences were minimal).

Though, seeing that the kit has only one single-seat spine besides the two-seat spine, how are they going to handle the fact that between the canards and the wing, the JA was some 12cm longer than all other variants (due to extra compressor stage in the engine)? Cut the fuselage in half and add a circular section, the like of which seems to be in the sprue next to the JA gunpod? This would not be much easier than taking the knife to the old Heller kit.

Also, apparently the gunpod and the three- or four-finned drop tank are the only ordnance, or at least, nothing else is shown. I seriously hope that there would be a separate sprue for all the myriad of toys available only in resin or partly in other kits: Rb 04E, Rb 05, and RBS 15 missiles, recce and EW pods, 120 mm rocket pods, 4 x 125 kg bomb pylons, etc.

Also, since the masters are by SH, I hope that after the "limited edition" has run out, Special Hobby (and eventually maybe Revell, with whom SH seems to have a kit-sharing agreement?) will offer a boxing at a more reasonable price.

Weaver

Quote from: Snowtrooper on February 19, 2018, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Mossie on February 19, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Looks like the sprues contain the parts for Sk 37 trainer (and as such, the basis for the EW conversion thereof) too. SF/SH might require a new nose (though why not add those too, since the other differences were minimal).

Though, seeing that the kit has only one single-seat spine besides the two-seat spine, how are they going to handle the fact that between the canards and the wing, the JA was some 12cm longer than all other variants (due to extra compressor stage in the engine)? Cut the fuselage in half and add a circular section, the like of which seems to be in the sprue next to the JA gunpod? This would not be much easier than taking the knife to the old Heller kit.

Also, apparently the gunpod and the three- or four-finned drop tank are the only ordnance, or at least, nothing else is shown. I seriously hope that there would be a separate sprue for all the myriad of toys available only in resin or partly in other kits: Rb 04E, Rb 05, and RBS 15 missiles, recce and EW pods, 120 mm rocket pods, 4 x 125 kg bomb pylons, etc.

Also, since the masters are by SH, I hope that after the "limited edition" has run out, Special Hobby (and eventually maybe Revell, with whom SH seems to have a kit-sharing agreement?) will offer a boxing at a more reasonable price.

The SF nose in on the sprues: 4th pic, next to the gunpod.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Weaver on February 19, 2018, 07:07:04 PM
The SF nose in on the sprues: 4th pic, next to the gunpod.
You're right, my bad. So then the only question remains whether there will be plastic things under the wings or is the assumption that those have to be ordered from Maestro Models.

kitnut617

So is Tarangus part of Special Hobby ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

No, but they've got an agreement with them to produce the Viggen kit (not sure about the others).  I know S&M Models have a similar agreement to sell the Canberra, with Special Hobby selling their own boxings at a later date and Xtrakit had a similar deal, so we might see the same with the Viggens.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Martin H

Quote from: Mossie on February 20, 2018, 05:57:17 AM
No, but they've got an agreement with them to produce the Viggen kit (not sure about the others).  I know S&M Models have a similar agreement to sell the Canberra, with Special Hobby selling their own boxings at a later date and Xtrakit had a similar deal, so we might see the same with the Viggens.

The S&M Canberra's have nothing to do with Special hobby. Mel works with Mikro-Mir for his Injection kits
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

Quote from: Martin H on February 20, 2018, 01:57:23 PM

The S&M Canberra's have nothing to do with Special hobby. Mel works with Mikro-Mir for his Injection kits

Yep,  and I was just talking to him about it in Huddersfield!  Got the two swapped in my head.

NARSES2

Given all the chat about various Swedish types lately, I blame a certain Swedish gentleman  ;) , this may interest some. Again in an e-mail I got this morning

You cannot view this attachment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

They just might have the entire Viggen family, including strike, recon, training and interceptor these days. For strike, actually both the original AJ37 and the refurbished AJS37. Pricey, but good, my informants say. That said, I've managed fine with the old Heller kits so far, and actively chose these for the lad. Simpler sometimes equals better, when you're reasonably new to the game
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 12, 2024, 08:07:31 AMSimpler sometimes equals better, when you're reasonably new to the game

I think the most important thing when your new to the hobby is ease and accuracy of fit. You don't want to spend half your time on psr at that stage.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.