RAAF RF-104 Finished!!!!

Started by FAR148, January 15, 2012, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Much Kudos thats a really nice build and finish.

An aside; If someone wanted to do it in 72nd I bet the recce nose of the old Mirage V kit would fit the bill
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

FAR148

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
I'm going to try to get her done before the new year. I'm going to finish her with the bitched up canopy and replace it when I can.

Steven L  :cheers:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Kept away from commenting for as long as I could.... but can't hold-back anymore. Simply outstanding work, and so inspirational.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

She's Done! And she only took 346 days(49 weeks or 8304 hours) Had a little photo shoot with her and her Canadain counsin today. The build was pretty much straightforward other then removing the gun and vents. In the next few days I'll put together a list later of all the things I did to her. Enough talking, here's my RAAF RF-104.

FAR148

Until next time,
Steven L  :drink:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

rickshaw

I echo that conclusion!  It's beautifully  finished.  :thumbsup:

There's that dude with the cool looking sunglasses again.  He does get around a bit!  ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scooterman

comrade harps

Whatever.

PR19_Kit

So what's wrong with the canopy? Looks perfect to me, just like the rest of the model!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

FAR148

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

QuoteSo what's wrong with the canopy?

So the Hasagawa kit has no parts for the defogger system that goes around the canopy and I wanted to add some detail to the canopy. After doing alittle research, I figured I could make my own out of some styrene rod. So I wrap a small piece of rod around the handle of my X-acto so that it would form a curve, making it easier to glue into place. As we all know superglue and clear parts is the fun part of model building. :lol:  My idea was to tape off just where I want to glue the part to, place the part and tick it with superglue. Well, I did and it worked but... I got impatience and wanted to speed things up....Let add some kicker! :drink: So to anyone who does not know, when you add kicker(or accelerator) to superglue it causes superglue to get runny then cures really fast. Some of this superglue and accelerator mix got behind my tape and frosted part of the canopy. I tried to sand and polish it out but... :banghead: It being on the inside of the canopy it was easier said than done. I manage to get most of it out but... I dipped it in future a few times. It helped but there is still a small band of frost right by my lame defogger. I sent Hasagawa an email about ordering a new one and replied back with ok but it's going take 4 to 8 weeks. Until her new one shows up, it's going to have to do.  

Steven L  :cheers:

scooter

Quote from: FAR148 on December 28, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

QuoteSo what's wrong with the canopy?
I got impatience and wanted to speed things up....Let add some kicker! :drink: So to anyone who does not know, when you add kicker(or accelerator) to superglue it causes superglue to get runny then cures really fast. Some of this superglue and accelerator mix got behind my tape and frosted part of the canopy...It helped but there is still a small band of frost right by my lame defogger.

Still looks good, and gives it a bit of realism, i.e. the long flight to Cold Lake for joint exercises...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Nice ! Love the subtle markings and the paint job, excellent work. Funny how much the nose changes the look of the aeroplane, yet, at the same time, doesn't really change it at all !

Beauty.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!