General

Started by NARSES2, January 16, 2012, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right this is the place to put your builds that fall into the WWII category. Note WWII ends whenever you deem it to have, although try and keep it within reasonable bounds  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Daryl J.

Being a Yank, could someone tell me if Gin Gin in Queensland is named from some indigenous word or is it named after whiskey?    As my one of my professional cohorts is from Walla Walla, the name Gin Gin caught my eye.      :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Gin has nothing to do with Whiskey, apart from being alcoholic of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

"Gin" is the European translation of an indigenous word for "Woman".  In most Australian Indigenous languages and dialects, doubling the word mean "many".  So "Gin Gin" means "many women".  I can't tell you which Aboriginal language/dialect its from but it would more than likely have been, as its Queensland one of the Murri ones.

"Gin" the Alcoholic drink is made the distillation of alcohol made from the distillate of a grain mash with various flavouring agents. It gets its primary flavour from Juniper berries, but many other herbs and spices go into the make-up. The botanicals come from all over the world: Cardamom from Sri Lanka, Cassia bark from Vietnam, Orange peel from Spain, Coriander seed from the Czech Republic, Angelica root from Germany.   This website has a good, potted history of Gin.   Whiskey is also distilled from grain mash but its primary difference to Gin is that it is aged in wooden barrels, whereas Gin is not and it is there that it gets its colouration.  All Alcohol, of course when distilled is initially clear.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.