Lockheed Super Constellation ' The next step'

Started by McColm, January 18, 2012, 12:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Did they ever try contra-rotating props like the ones used on the Avro Shackleton or Gannet?

raafif

no ... but it would sure make an interesting model.  Use 4 Frog Gannet kits, they're plentiful & cheap.

-- DO IT !! :thumbsup:

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

Well that's one kit taken care of. I'll order 4 Fog Gannet kits on Monday. :cheers:
Two down two to go.
I've got a pair of Rolls Royce Tyne turbo prop engines from a Revell 1/72 Br.1150 Atlantic in my stash and I know I've got a second set, somewhere. Just one of those things, if I look for them I'll never find them. But if I look for something else instead they'll turn up straight away. Might have to change the props as they are a bit on the large size, spacing might be an issue. (4 x T-56s on the Atlantic, now that's another whiff, I'm going to be very bizzy this year!!)

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on February 01, 2012, 01:22:40 AM
Well that's one kit taken care of. I'll order 4 Fog Gannet kits on Monday. :cheers:

I've a Revell boxing of the Frog one you can have cheap if you want. PM me

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

RVHP do two resin conversion kits; the NK-121 and the EC-121L in 1/72, so I'll need two more Airfix  Super-G kits.
I've looked at ways of extending the fuselage of the Revell C-69. I can shorten it and use the left over sections on the Airfix kit.
Another possibility is to use the Airfix BAe Nimrod lower fuselage and wings turning the C-69 into a Spey jet version, as the wing looks tiny on the Super-G.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

I wounder what the postage cost would be to the UK?

rickshaw

pyro-manic

I'm betting quite a lot. Hannants stock some Ozmods stuff, but they've only got 1:144 bits listed at the moment. Might be worth asking them if they can get some next time they stock up?

rickshaw

Looking at the website, the P&P on a conversion set is $A15.00 to the UK.  Which at today's exchange rate is roughly 10 pounds.

http://www.layuqwam.com.au/Ozmods/Order.html

pyro-manic

That's pretty good, actually - though it's dependent on weight, so ordering a couple may get expensive quickly.

McColm

That's not too bad as the RVHP kits are between £35-£45 without postage added.

McColm

Been on line and came across the Kappner's Fliegerhorst resinset 1/72 Starliner conversion kit. I'm not too sure if this company is still in business or that this conversion is still available. The kit came with new wings, resin engines,new canopy and nose.
If not what wings do you recommend using for the 1/72 Starliner L-1649?

McColm

The Super Star Constellation was  powered by four 6,000shp Pratt & Whitney PT2F-1 turboprops, consideration was also given to the Allison T-56 which also powered the new Lockheed Electra.
The Pratt & Whitney engine was problematic and the Allison-powered aircraft would be in direct competition with the Electra. It was decided to drop the turboprop power and use four 3,400hp R-3350-988TC18EA-2 Turbo Compound engines.

A Whiffer suggested using the wings from the B-29. This could work and keep the engines from the Academy/ Airfix kit. Academy also do the B-50 kit which might be better.
This then lends the Super Star to be whiffed as a bomber, maritime patrol, AEW, water bomber, tanker and gunship.
The airliner and cargo versions or military transport.
Other parts from the Academy kit could be used, as well as the single vertical tail fin. It would good with wingtip fuel tanks or a pair of auxiliary turbojets under the wings.
The Allison turboprop conversion would look impressive.