Supermarine Spitfire Mk22 Floatplane

Started by Vulcan7, January 20, 2012, 04:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinbayer

Fabulous - now that's what I call Golden Oldies!

Coat, hat...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Cliffy B

That is one killer set of float planes!!!!   :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

perttime

I like them!

One thing I was thinking about, though: if you are building an all out racer (like the Schneider racers), a fighter with floats might not be extreme enough. Some mods to the fighter should help with speed.

Here's what happened when I put Macchi M.67 floats on Rare Bear (and took out the colors):

Vulcan7

:cheers:cheers chaps  :thumbsup:
Quote from: perttime on January 26, 2012, 11:56:27 AM
I like them!

One thing I was thinking about, though: if you are building an all out racer (like the Schneider racers), a fighter with floats might not be extreme enough. Some mods to the fighter should help with speed.

Here's what happened when I put Macchi M.67 floats on Rare Bear (and took out the colors):

that looks a beauty  :tornado: :ph34r:

I was thinking about maybe using a Bearcat & a P47  the Us would have too many planes though?

ps the gold paint is a tin of Revell 94 brush painted
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Brush painted Revell 94? VERY well done, it looks superb on all of them.

Where do you get all the floats from though? Or are they the Aeroclub vacform set?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vulcan7

:cheers:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2012, 02:52:14 PM
Brush painted Revell 94? VERY well done, it looks superb on all of them.

Where do you get all the floats from though? Or are they the Aeroclub vacform set?

the floats are from the PM Spit Floatplane kit, one of the cheapest kits you can get fortunately  :thumbsup:

perttime

Quote from: Vostoc7 on January 26, 2012, 01:24:26 PMthat looks a beauty  :tornado: :ph34r:

I was thinking about maybe using a Bearcat & a P47  the Us would have too many planes though?

ps the gold paint is a tin of Revell 94 brush painted
Now that I look at it, the float angle looks all wrong.

Others used Bearcats after the war, too, but I'm not sure when they got them. Maybe the Germans did something to the 190 to make it faster?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That link to the Internetmodeller page shows a Bearcat on a single float I think. It's the 5th one down, in blue with red trim with a single float just lifting off the water. But it's not 'cut and shut' like 'Rare Bear' was, looks almost standard apart from thew float and the ventral fin.

I rather like that idea myself, and I have a spare Bearcat in The Loft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Golden Opportunities! I'll say too that the Tempest is really something, especially in that scheme. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What about a Japanese entrant? A float Raiden or maybe A7M2 Reppu?

Lavochkin 11 in gold...?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

kitbasher

Gosh!  I like the F190D even though it's not painted (or doesn't look it, anyway).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Vulcan7

Quote from: RussC on January 27, 2012, 12:07:44 PM
Golden Opportunities! I'll say too that the Tempest is really something, especially in that scheme. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What about a Japanese entrant? A float Raiden or maybe A7M2 Reppu?

Lavochkin 11 in gold...?

:cheers:

definately I'd like to do Japanese, French & Russian versions  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vulcan7

done the 1/72 Airfix FW190D  just waiting for the Fiat G.56
& maybe some Japanese, Russian & French competitors?

RussC

Quote from: Vostoc7 on January 28, 2012, 09:35:55 AM
done the 1/72 Airfix FW190D  just waiting for the Fiat G.56
& maybe some Japanese, Russian & French competitors?

Wow!. Was it your intention of proportioning the three colors to the appearance of the FRG flag on the wings? Or a happy accident?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski