WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

i found this awesome looking machine on the Dutch "Modelbrouwers" forum (or as i like to call it, the dutch JMN hub (no offence)

1/48 Bulowski Bulgari prototype
http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=35272

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Sticky Fingers

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

MilitaryAircraft101

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Joe C-P

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/hms/M2-700-ij/index.htm

An RN battleship, a design concept predecessor to the N3 that (d)evolved into Nelson and Rodney.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

An aft engined battleship? That's a new one on me.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Interesting battleship. But why are the X & Y turrets amidships? It seems an odd way to do it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Old Wombat

Quote from: lancer on April 01, 2012, 03:26:56 PM
Interesting battleship. But why are the X & Y turrets amidships? It seems an odd way to do it.

Mass distribution - given the aft-engine lay-out.

Also, she wouldn't be the first battleship with at least 1 mid-ship turret (I just can't remember which ship, just now).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

RussC

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 01, 2012, 08:02:39 PM
Quote from: lancer on April 01, 2012, 03:26:56 PM

Mass distribution - given the aft-engine lay-out.

Also, she wouldn't be the first battleship with at least 1 mid-ship turret (I just can't remember which ship, just now).

Quite a few of the earlier era ships from 1910 to 1923 had this. A few from Japan that spring to mind are Ise, Hyuga, Yamashiro and Fuso. In those last two there was a turret on each side of the funnel, and both paired and lowered to the weather deck on the first two.
 I do remember seeing this on RN, American and Russian ships as built.

One thing about this British design with aft engine is that you can consider what is going on below decks, this design would be very simplified as it is also like a freighter. The engineering section is all compact in one place and so is all of the turret machinery and ammunition magazines, making each area easier to protect to the degree needed with less steel. It seems to be a design made for mass production, almost on a par with the Kaiser Liberty and Victory class merchantmen. The ship would be lighter and faster than contemporaries. Also, you group all of your gunnery squarely under the optical aiming devices in the conning tower, a big thing when dealing with parallax errors of turrets sited 400 or more feet aft of the telescopic range finders.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

lenny100

try the HMS Agincourt (Battleship) (1918) has two midship turrets as well as 2 in the bows and 3  on the stern
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

pyro-manic

Nice one! All the designs from that sequence (and the battlecruiser sequence too) are really interesting, as are the Japanese and American equivalents. I wish some had been built, though in truth nobody could afford them.

Russ: They certainly wouldn't have been light - these designs were all enormous. You are right though, in that the design aimed to minimise the length of the armoured compartments (magazines and machinery spaces) to make the armour layout as efficient as possible.

Kit: Nelson and Rodney both had engines at the stern. They are the only battleships actually built with such a configuration though. They were (seriously) watered-down versions of the ~1922 designs, of which the above M2 is one.

As for middle-mounted turrets, see any British class prior to the Queen Elizabeths, which gave up the space to fit in more engine, as did all subsequent designs. It was felt a broadside of eight 15" guns was at least as good as ten 13.5" as seen on previous ships (the Iron Dukes, the "splendid cats" battlecruisers etc). Japanese ships of the era share many of the same traits, as up until Kongo the IJN fleet had been built by the British. Agincourt was actually built for Brazil (intended to be as impressive as possible, hence the seven main turrets), but then sold to the Ottomans and seized by the Royal Navy (while still in Britain) at the outbreak of war.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<