WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

No markings at all, and it becomes an agent-placing machine operating from Norway/Sweden/Finland  into northern USSR in the early 1950's

See Gavin Lyall's  "Most Dangerous Game"  for more details     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game_(novel)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: The Rat on October 02, 2021, 07:51:55 PM
From iModeler, a rather fetching USAF Clunk https://imodeler.com/2020/06/hobbycraft-1-72-cf-100-hypothetical/

That is SWEET!  :wub:

Falcons, Sidewinders, Sparrows would be nice.  :mellow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

BIG tanks on the wingtips with Falcons inside.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on October 03, 2021, 07:18:32 AM
No markings at all, and it becomes an agent-placing machine operating from Norway/Sweden/Finland  into northern USSR in the early 1950's

See Gavin Lyall's  "Most Dangerous Game"  for more details     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game_(novel)

I find the ones of his I have been able to track down are usually good reads (whether or not I am happy with how they end up is a different matter, of course...)
Even though they're of about the same era, they always seemed a bit more 'grown up'* than the Alister MacLeans I grew up reading.
The Desmond Bagley novels are the same.

*Not sure how else to put that, but you get what I mean.

Rheged

Quote from: Rheged on January 20, 2014, 09:36:10 AM
That's as bad as the old Land Rover that used  to  be seen in the Hexham area.  He/She had the following "score" (all recognisable) painted on the nearside wing  :-two Me110s, a TIE fighter, a camel (Sopwith) a camel (bactrian) three VW beetles  and what looked like a B47. Given the way it was driven, I'm inclined to believe that several of these were genuine "kill" markings. I've a photo......somewhere.......

I saw this venerable machine in Carlisle last week.  Extra kill markings had been added.......two Badgers (Russian) one badger (animal) a Renault Espace, a Fireball XL5 and a Typhoon class Russian submarine.  Having met the driver, she claims that the Espace tried to impale itself on the towbar and the submarine was an unfortunate mishap with a heavy duty sea fishing net.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on November 29, 2021, 10:57:16 AM
That's as bad as the old Land Rover that used  to  be seen in the Hexham area.  He/She had the following "score" (all recognisable) painted on the nearside wing  :-two Me110s, a TIE fighter, a camel (Sopwith) a camel (bactrian) three VW beetles  and what looked like a B47. Given the way it was driven, I'm inclined to believe that several of these were genuine "kill" markings. I've a photo......somewhere.......

I saw this venerable machine in Carlisle last week.  Extra kill markings had been added.......two Badgers (Russian) one badger (animal) a Renault Espace, a Fireball XL5 and a Typhoon class Russian submarine.  Having met the driver, she claims that the Espace tried to impale itself on the towbar and the submarine was an unfortunate mishap with a heavy duty sea fishing net.

;D :thumbsup:

Sounds like a lady with our kind of sense of humour.

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on November 29, 2021, 08:02:45 PM

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on November 30, 2021, 03:40:36 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on November 29, 2021, 08:02:45 PM

Sorry!  Having just managed to get my digital camera to talk to the imperial laptop, said camera has now gone  PHUT!!  and until I buy a new one  AND persuade it to talk to the laptop, the picture problem remains

kerick

I have to e mail pics to myself as my phone won't talk to the laptop either.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on November 30, 2021, 12:16:58 PM
I have to e mail pics to myself as my phone won't talk to the laptop either.

Same here  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Just one reason why I use a proper camera to take my pics.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 01, 2021, 11:20:32 AM

Being a real luddite, a real camera to me is my old Nikon F1  with proper film in it!  Slow speed black and white film gives me the equivalent of at least a couple of hundred megapix.     But then, of course, even if I do my own processing and printing  the pictures have to be sent by Royal Mail in order to get the end-user quality.

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on December 01, 2021, 01:37:29 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 01, 2021, 11:20:32 AM

Being a real luddite, a real camera to me is my old Nikon F1  with proper film in it!  Slow speed black and white film gives me the equivalent of at least a couple of hundred megapix.     But then, of course, even if I do my own processing and printing  the pictures have to be sent by Royal Mail in order to get the end-user quality.

This end user would be a very happy such, though.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

frank2056

When I bought my Sony NEX-6, one goal was to use some of the excellent old lenses in place of the kit lens, using cheap adapters. I went on ebay and bought several of the lenses I'd lusted after in my youth. I got a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Kiron (Nikon) 35-135 Macro, Minolta Auto Rokkor-PF 58mm  f1.4 and a Minolta MD Zoom 35-105mm f 3.5-4.5 macro - for the last one, the seller was selling it with an old Minolta SRT 102, but I told him to keep the camera (I alredy have one). The lenses were as good (or better) than the kit lens, although the two f1.4s were a bit disappointing in terms of sharpness (to be expected). I also got an old solid 500mm f8 mirror lens, and they're as bad as their reputation.

Now if I could only take better pictures...

loupgarou

Quote from: frank2056 on December 01, 2021, 02:11:36 PM

When I bought my Sony NEX-6, one goal was to use some of the excellent old lenses in place of the kit lens, using cheap adapters. I went on ebay and bought several of the lenses I'd lusted after in my youth. I got a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Kiron (Nikon) 35-135 Macro, Minolta Auto Rokkor-PF 58mm  f1.4 and a Minolta MD Zoom 35-105mm f 3.5-4.5 macro - for the last one, the seller was selling it with an old Minolta SRT 102, but I told him to keep the camera (I alredy have one). The lenses were as good (or better) than the kit lens, although the two f1.4s were a bit disappointing in terms of sharpness (to be expected). I also got an old solid 500mm f8 mirror lens, and they're as bad as their reputation.

Now if I could only take better pictures...

Aaah...the joys of adapters and weird combos...  :thumbsup:
I always loved to experiment with those. Fot theater and concert photos I used (in the seventies) a Leica III body (no noise and movement from the mirror) with a canon adapter and 135/2.5 reflex lens, and a russian external sight. Took some very good photos with that outfit...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.