WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

A whif from a totally different genre...

Madoc

PR19_Kit & all,

Wow!  The Sunderland and Vulcan are nicely done!  I could just imagine the backstory for those two.  Say, something on the order of the UK and Imperial Japan not just remaining close like they were through WWI but actually increasing their alliances.  So, come the 40s Japan is not part of the Axis and, in fact, continues with the UK against Germany's imperialist ambitions.

The UK would have to tolerate at least some degree of Japanese expansionism in mainland Asia and that would be at the expense of China only somewhat as that'd aggravate the US too much.  So.... that means the Soviet Far East would be a prime target.  And with British help in terms of armaments through the 30s, the Japanese might've fared better at Khalkhyn Gol and thus have more of an uncontested claim to Manchuko.  That, in turn would force the Soviets to keep more of their military stationed out in Siberia than otherwise and that would have dire consequences as the Wehrmacht marched in.

The end result though is that Japan has a lot of newly acquired coastal property to defend against the remnants of the Soviet Union and to face off against the US allied Nationalist China.  So... Not only does the UK keep its flying boats in service well past WWII it upgrades them / renovates them to be able to keep up with things.  Hence the turbo powered Sunderland.  And, as part of an increasing and deepening relationship between the two imperial powers, the UK sells Imperial Japan some of its brand new strategic bombers...

Wherever you go, there you are!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 15, 2015, 05:37:39 AM
A whif from a totally different genre...

Totally is right!  :thumbsup:

That's a V-200 diesel hydraulic, isn't it? BR's Western Region had two classes based on the V-200, the Class 43 and 43 Warships.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

It is, and the fake DSB livery suits it well!
I remember the British cousins - more slender and lower, due to the narrower BR tunnel profiles.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 17, 2015, 02:22:10 AM
It is, and the fake DSB livery suits it well!
I remember the British cousins - more slender and lower, due to the narrower BR tunnel profiles.

We had one of them at the Tech Centre, for use as a transmission test vehicle for the APT-P, but it never actually happened and now it's running again in BR green under its proper name and number as 832 'Onslaught'.

My signature is still in its log book as I happened to be the senior grade there when they delivered it.  ;D

Do any of the DB V-200s still exist/run?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Not in service. IIRC, there's a museum V200 from the first series still running, kept by the DB as historic vehicle. Some went to southern Europe to building companies, and so0me served a while in Switzerland. And there are some static specimen in museums, e. g. in Berlin in the Technische Museum (worth a visit if you are there, as well as the Luftwaffe Musuem in Gatow, erven the though the latter is hard to reach without a car)

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Thomas, nice to know DB treasure their heritage.  :thumbsup:

I've been to both the Technische Museum  and the Luftwaffe Museum, both super places. I think Gatow must be the only museum in the world where you can see an Il-28 standing next to a Canberra and a Mig-21 next to a Lightning!  :o

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2015, 11:11:19 AM
Thanks for that Thomas, nice to know DB treasure their heritage.  :thumbsup:

I've been to both the Technische Museum  and the Luftwaffe Museum, both super places. I think Gatow must be the only museum in the world where you can see an Il-28 standing next to a Canberra and a Mig-21 next to a Lightning!  :o

Well, if you visit the Bruxelles Musée de l'armée, besides everything that has flown in Belgium (and allied countries), you'll find also some foreigners - and in the CENTER of Bruxelles, not in an airport   :o

and in the reserves of the french Le Bourget museum, besides all sort of  french prototypes, there are also strange bedfellows:

But also the Sinsheim and Speyer museums are quite crowded with varied offerings  :lol: :
http://speyer.technik-museum.de/de/flugzeuge
http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Is that a Nike or something Soviet?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on July 18, 2015, 03:03:31 PM
Is that a Nike or something Soviet?

Its not a Nike (at least it doesn't look like one), and nor does it look like an SA-whatever.  I'm thinking French SAM or SSM
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Logan Hartke

I'm pretty sure it's a Nike Hercules. I think some party pooper might've taken the nuclear warhead and put it away, though.

Cheers,

Logan

loupgarou

Quote from: Logan Hartke on July 18, 2015, 07:24:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a Nike Hercules. I think some party pooper might've taken the nuclear warhead and put it away, though.

Cheers,

Logan

Yes, t's a Nike Hercules. Maybe the head is stored somewhere nearby... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Now I know what to get Mrs z for the garden.  One of them would look great poking up above the roof of my shed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Cool looking train....looks kind of CN

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?