Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: Jesse220 on April 22, 2016, 02:24:06 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 22, 2016, 02:08:02 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 10, 2016, 03:32:41 AM

There's, for instance, also this pretty P-38 turboprop evolution:

Cool stuff!  :thumbsup:

You know I find the P-38 Evolution amusing

Didn't somebody on here make a model like this using T-33 parts?

I need some PT6 engines! Quick!
I was looking at a CL-215T kit by Heller.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on April 28, 2016, 06:15:05 PM

I've just been looking at the CL-415 in my stash. They only changed one sprue and added a small extra one to the CL-215 kit, so there's a spare set of radial engines and cowlings in the box, but you only get the turboprop nacelles.

If you want a pair of turboprops and arn't fussy about which type, the Airfix Skyvan comes with a pair of Garret TPE-331s, and you can always convert the rest of the kit to a piston-job/helicopter/glider.

Also, Airfix Tucanos have been so cheap recently that you could chop two of them up for their TPE-331s.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Love those turbo Lightnings.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

I wonder what Bronco wings & booms would look like with a P38 Nacelle?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 29, 2016, 02:13:55 AM

I wonder what Bronco wings & booms would look like with a P38 Nacelle?

Weird, but very acceptable in these parts.  :thumbsup:

Conversely, you could use the P-38 booms and engine on the OV-10 nacelle.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madoc

And I could see something like that actually happening.

This, much like that tale about the same axe that had been handed down from generation to generation.  Yes, the handled had been replaced several times over the decades and the axe head had too - but it was the same axe that belonged to the family's great-great-grandfather...

So, a buncha surplus P-38s sitting out in a desert boneyard get a second life when turbo-prop engines get mounted in place of the Allisons.  And as the turbo-props don't need a turbo charger and as the North American production lines were already turning out tail boom assemblies for their OV-10, it was deemed cost effective just to slot in Bronco tail booms in their entirety.

And then the central nacelle got a revamping to accommodate more ordnance and avionics.  And then it really made sense to rework the wings to install hard points and a different airfoil to make best use of the increased power from the turbo-props.

But it's still the same P-38s as fought in the war!
Wherever you go, there you are!

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 28, 2016, 02:08:20 AM
Stumbled across this interesting Cold War interpretation of MiG-29 satellite images:

Interesting aircraft, if not pretty, nevertheless - a creative mix of MiG-23, -25 and -29 elements.  :thumbsup:

I had the idea to build this for some time too!

Perhaps 1/72 F-18 + 1/100 Foxbat  :unsure:
Will die without understanding this world.

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on April 28, 2016, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: kerick on April 28, 2016, 06:15:05 PM

I've just been looking at the CL-415 in my stash. They only changed one sprue and added a small extra one to the CL-215 kit, so there's a spare set of radial engines and cowlings in the box, but you only get the turboprop nacelles.

If you want a pair of turboprops and arn't fussy about which type, the Airfix Skyvan comes with a pair of Garret TPE-331s, and you can always convert the rest of the kit to a piston-job/helicopter/glider.

Also, Airfix Tucanos have been so cheap recently that you could chop two of them up for their TPE-331s.

Thanks!

I'll have to see if anything is on sale. I was thinking of the CL-215/415 as those engines have nearly the same horsepower as the P-38's Allisons. The Tucano engines were half that. However, I don't think there is a great difference in size of these modern turbo prop engines.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Alvis 3.14159

The important thing to remember, make sure you move the seating up a smidge, and add a larger canopy, like the Seastar had, or your peelots will be able to see forward and up, and not at all down or to the sides, as the wings block a lot of the sightline.

That's what happened in the Turbo Lightning I did a couple years back.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal11/10401-10500/gal10452-Lightning-Petrie/00.shtm

Alvis 3.1

zenrat

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on April 29, 2016, 07:49:59 PM
...the Turbo Lightning I did a couple years back.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal11/10401-10500/gal10452-Lightning-Petrie/00.shtm

Alvis 3.1

Are you sure it has enough bombs?  I think you could have squeezed another dozen or so onto it...  :lol:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

That's gorgeous Alvis. So many parts of so many cool aeroplanes ! Love it. An epic piece of whiffery, and defo believable !

:bow: :wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: zenrat on April 30, 2016, 02:03:52 AM
Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on April 29, 2016, 07:49:59 PM
...the Turbo Lightning I did a couple years back.

Alvis 3.1

Are you sure it has enough bombs?  I think you could have squeezed another dozen or so onto it...  :lol:

Should have gone with MERs instead of the fuel tanks next to the pod.
:wacko:

Alvis Pi

kerick

Booms look like they are from a C-119.
Tophe the Wise

Alvis 3.14159

I used just the tail surfaces from the C-119, the P-38 booms stayed intact all the way back.
I killed off 11 kits to make that one, so far, that's a record for me.

Alvis Pi

kerick

That means the spare parts box is refilled!
I'll have to look around for some more turbo engine options. I looked on line but no luck on resin parts, any suggestions?
Tophe the Wise