WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Zero-Sen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 02, 2024, 12:20:32 AM
Quote from: The Rat on September 01, 2024, 01:22:38 PMJust poking around on the back pages of Hyperscale, and came across this little gem, a single seat Fairey Firefly, by Charles Knell. LINK

I have considered such a conversion on the basis of an Airfix kit, but eventually folded it because of the MANY changes beyond the fuselage that it would require. We have the Seafang, though. ;-)

Filrefly single seater ( anti-tank with two 1.57 in Vickers S guns )

PR19_Kit

And that cockpit's even FURTHER back!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The S Gun was slow-firing, 100 rpm, and the muzzle velocity was in the mid to low range at 615 m/sec. The aircraft version was fed from a 15 round drum magazine. The synchronization of two S Guns with the propeller would be challenging. It would likely require the use of electrically ignited rounds as it would simplify the synchronization.

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on September 02, 2024, 03:36:13 PMThe synchronization of two S Guns with the propeller would be challenging.

Aaaaand, just when they get that worked out, they're told " Sorry, forgot to say it's going to be a contra-prop."  :o
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2024, 11:08:07 AMAnd that cockpit's even FURTHER back!  :o

Starting to look like a Dweotine 520 or maybe a Caudron 460 ?  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 03, 2024, 05:50:29 AMStarting to look like a Dweotine 520 or maybe a Caudron 460 ?  ;)

That was my first impression also.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Quote from: Zero-Sen on September 02, 2024, 10:46:39 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 02, 2024, 12:20:32 AM
Quote from: The Rat on September 01, 2024, 01:22:38 PMJust poking around on the back pages of Hyperscale, and came across this little gem, a single seat Fairey Firefly, by Charles Knell. LINK

I have considered such a conversion on the basis of an Airfix kit, but eventually folded it because of the MANY changes beyond the fuselage that it would require. We have the Seafang, though. ;-)

Filrefly single seater ( anti-tank with two 1.57 in Vickers S guns )

I would think moving the guns out onto the wings would be better. Just like the Hurricane.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on September 03, 2024, 09:42:57 AMI would think moving the guns out onto the wings would be better. Just like the Hurricane.

That's where the 'normal' Firefly had them anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

On a slight aside, there was a single seat design for the Firefly.  When the spec was issued for what became the Firefly, the RN hadn't made it's mind up and asked for both. Fairy responded with a really pretty aircraft (surprisingly for Fairly) and I'd like to see it realised at some time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

The S as used was fed from a 15 round drum, a belt-feed was looked at but it wasn't developed because there was no pressing need.
The Hurricane IID with the guns was more effective than the RP equipped Typhoons, hitting the target 25% of the time versus 5% for RP Typhoons. But the RPs did damage to a larger area and also had a negative effect on the morale of the tank crews and supporting infantry. The Hurricanes were also vulnerable to AAA and were removed from frontline
service in Europe for that reason.

Rick Lowe

But a model of an 'S' gun armed Hurricane in the European Scheme would make a few of the 'usual suspects' stop for a moment... and it's historically accurate.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Of course there was always the Kittyhawk Mk Ib  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

The last Tempest V built was tested with 40mm "P" guns in extremely slender pods.