WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on April 17, 2020, 05:22:21 AM
I have a B17 in the stash earmarked to get a setback cockpit like that.  I think it really improves the look of the Fortress.
Mine won't have a fifth engine though.  I'll come up with another reason.  Maybe they needed to make room for the first class lounge and piano bar?

SAS markings?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Mine won't have a fifth engine though.  I'll come up with another reason.  Maybe they needed to make room for the first class lounge and piano bar?

Perhaps a 15" naval gun would fit in there?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Although the forward fuselage was greatly extended ----

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Which engine was that they were testing? It looks a real MONSTER for sure.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on April 17, 2020, 06:23:37 AM
I have a B17 in the stash earmarked to get a setback cockpit like that.  I think it really improves the look of the Fortress.

SAS markings?

Maybe TAA as I worked up a set in powerpoint for the Rotodyne 2.0.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 17, 2020, 06:58:08 AM
Although the forward fuselage was greatly extended ----

Excellent photo.
If I extended the nose enough I could give it a tricycle undercarriage.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Green Dragon

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2020, 07:17:32 AM
Which engine was that they were testing? It looks a real MONSTER for sure.  :o
It was the Wright XT-35-W-1 Typhoon intended for the XB-52 when Boeing had it with a straight wing. They were going to use six Typhoon turboprops but lowered this to four when Wright said the production engines would be more powerful. The single Typhoon produced more power than all four of the B-17's engines. Boeing changed the B-52 to swept wing with jets and so the Typhhon was cancelled.
Hope that helps Kit.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

I does indeed Paul, thanks very much.

[Later] I just looked the XT-35 up. It really WAS a monster engine, 8000 bhp, about twice that of a Python.  :o

But only half that of a Kuznetsov NK-12, the Tu-95's engine, but that came later on.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That looks so cool like that !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2020, 07:08:12 AM
But only half that of a Kuznetsov NK-12, the Tu-95's engine, but that came later on.

..and it's actually composed of two engines coupled together, much like the Allison XT-40.

zenrat

Quote from: salt6 on April 20, 2020, 08:45:43 AM
...In my youth, I grafted a B26 front fuselage onto the front of a B17 and got a tricycle undercarriage.  Looked pretty good at the time.

Sounds like it would look pretty good now.
I'm going to have to pull out that B17 kit and have a grokking session.

Fred

Dizzyfugu

More "smart" people, this time at the War Thunder forum who celebrate my obvious model as a real thing (?). Post is from 2017, but I have not been aware of it yet.

https://live.warthunder.com/post/669384/en/?comment=2593233

comrade harps

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 22, 2020, 12:08:37 AM
More "smart" people, this time at the War Thunder forum who celebrate my obvious model as a real thing (?). Post is from 2017, but I have not been aware of it yet.

https://live.warthunder.com/post/669384/en/?comment=2593233

Gave you done a Google Image search for Alpha Jet MS2 - there's a few blogs that feature your straight winged Alpha Jet as if it's real.
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

I like the way one guy points out that it IS a Whiff, and then others totally ignore him and carry on commenting.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Perhaps they're well aware that it's a whif but are having fun treating it as if it's real? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est