WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

LOL, now the discussion is starting here! Just to avoid confusion: I post my picture ina public space, so I cannot prevent others from using them. If I wanted to prevent that, I'd either have to stay offline or marr them with watermarks and similar ugly stuff. I do not mind re-posting them, and it is in many cases funny to see in which context they appear. In most cases the "thieves" take what I post VERY seriously, despite the attempt to make it clear that this is a model and more or less FICTION. The funny thing about the Su-19 post was/is, that the pictures a) apparently taken for real and b) that an "expert" dismisses is as pure fiction - which it is not (but "just" a model of a real concept). Collateral damage of some sort.  ;) Please do not interpret too much into this, it is just that I frequently stumble upon such cases, and watch them with personal amusement.
I am just p!ssed when people use them commercially (without asking beforehand or at least credits - this IS theft) or in a context which I do not support, e.g. many Luft 46 nerds who seem to have a certain affection for (dead) guys with tiny mustaches and certain dreams of world domination.

Please do not take me too seriously!

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on December 16, 2020, 06:28:52 AM
^I know someone else posted it, I posted over on secretprojects to direct them to the relevant thread here when I saw it yesterday, prior to any mention on here. Post 86 on that thread.

Right apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick I'm afraid.

Quote from: Pellson on December 16, 2020, 09:37:18 AM

Now - let's go back to looking at the stash we ought to be building.. ;)

Yup I'll second that  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

SleeperService

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 23, 2020, 02:19:27 AM
One of my builds popped up again in the Ukraine, the sdKfz. 163 (a Brummbär turned into a tank hunter):

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://alternathistory.com/jagdpanzer-iv-43-mashina-tak-i-ne-perelomivshaya-hrebet-sovetskim-tankovym-vojskam/

At least you were acknowledged and the site states it's not real. I agree that once posted anywhere it's effectively in the public domain and uncontrollable.
It's a very good build and concept worthy of attention.

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 17, 2020, 12:12:05 PM
I like that Chinook !

I do too. Very effective and subtle too.

Quote from: tahsin on December 16, 2020, 08:37:50 AM
l take real pride in knowing Bill Gunston's work better than "experts"; and everybody in this thing is right. Dizzyfugu might see a slight in a reference, people on SFC (as long as they are not on an anti-troll crusade in which they merely come out trolls of other companies) get bothered by those who fake things as if real. What if is certainly aware of people who want us to believe things, the "real UFOs" being the most innocent of ideas peddled. And ı agree if it was taken to the modelling section it would get two or three people admiring and a general notification that Dizzyfugu is JUST a talented modeller who doesn't peddle things. Should be satisfactory for everyone concerned...

That's my view as well. I'm a recent convert to the cause and it is just another type of model-making that's all. If it's to be plausible then it needs a bit more thought than many realise. However if another puts a 17pdr in a Crusader tank turret and does a good job then that's fine too. Another thing I've found is that finding out how the He-280 developed has led me to think of What-If? early jet aircraft from elsewhere. Which leads to learning a bit more about the subject. Knowledge can't be bad.

Dizzyfugu

An nice example how one of my pictures - "stolen" and posted elsewhere in an unrelated context - causes confusion and headaches...

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/comments/l09y7t/tomt_an_artistic_rendering_of_an_old_soviet/

chrisonord

Wow, there is certainly  a lot of "experts" ( said in weapons grade  sarcaslium) out there. I think  some people just  like to big  themselves up, and think they know  everything about everything, when  the reality is  the total opposite.  I think that you  should  have you very own thread for these occurrences Thomas, as they are consistent  if nothing else.  ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Quote from: chrisonord on January 19, 2021, 09:31:30 AM
Wow, there is certainly  a lot of "experts" ( said in weapons grade  sarcaslium) out there. I think  some people just  like to big  themselves up, and think they know  everything about everything, when  the reality is  the total opposite.  I think that you  should  have you very own thread for these occurrences Thomas, as they are consistent  if nothing else.  ;D
Chris

At least his own Ukrainian fan club acknowledges that what Thomas builds is purely speculative fiction.  Its a shame, however, that everyone else has fallen into the "If its on t'Interwebz, it must be true" mindset.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Quote from: scooter on January 19, 2021, 10:06:43 AM
Its a shame, however, that everyone else has fallen into the "If its on t'Interwebz, it must be true" mindset.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you see on the internet."

:rolleyes: ;)

Dizzyfugu

Yup. But there are real d!ickheads out there. Recently had a "discussion" at FlickR with somebody from Brazil who was bickering about my BAF P-38J (based on a profile from PantherG here). Things started with "The aircraft has wrong colors, the BAF never used them." and showed me a BAF MB.326 trainer in USAF SEA colors (even though the aircraft was operated 30 years later than my whif... :rolleyes:). He did not get that my build carried WWII USAAF colors. Next complain was about the tactical markings, which were/are a blue fuselage band (with the Southern Cross on it in white) and blue spinners. Comment: "This looks like an Argentinian aircraft. We Brazilians do not like the Argentinians. This is wrong." My comment, that these markings were based on real post-WWII BAF markings was ignored, too, and I finally added that person to my FlickR "Ignore" list, a very useful function.

As an experienced bowler once said: "Never argue with an idiot - outsiders won't tell the difference."  :-\

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 19, 2021, 11:29:45 PM
Yup. But there are real d!ickheads out there.

So very, very true!  :banghead:

As an experienced bowler once said: "Never argue with an idiot - outsiders won't tell the difference."  :-\

Another quote says 'Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!'  ;D

Dizzyfugu

That's true, too.

And I just saw that my Yak-35M made it to facebook at the "Great planes that never were" thread (thankfully with source info/credits :thumbsup:): https://www.facebook.com/groups/34366349783/?ref=direct

TheChronicOne

I saw that one, too! I was thinking, "That's my homie!!"  ;D :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Yup. But there are real d!ickheads out there. Recently had a "discussion" at FlickR with somebody from Brazil who was bickering about my BAF P-38J (based on a profile from PantherG here). Things started with "The aircraft has wrong colors, the BAF never used them." and showed me a BAF MB.326 trainer in USAF SEA colors (even though the aircraft was operated 30 years later than my whif... :rolleyes:). He did not get that my build carried WWII USAAF colors. Next complain was about the tactical markings, which were/are a blue fuselage band (with the Southern Cross on it in white) and blue spinners. Comment: "This looks like an Argentinian aircraft. We Brazilians do not like the Argentinians. This is wrong." My comment, that these markings were based on real post-WWII BAF markings was ignored, too, and I finally added that person to my FlickR "Ignore" list, a very useful function.

My Adblockers prevent any comments on my Flickr being visible.  Which is a good thing IMO.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..