WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: scooter on January 26, 2021, 07:33:01 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 26, 2021, 05:54:57 AM
Found my "Object 511" SPAAG from the Prototypes GB in a Russian blog, with credits and reference to whatifmodellers.com  :lol::

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5bfae45c2524ba00aa55f259/obekt-511-on-je-zsu-376-lena-nemnogo-alternativnoi-istorii-5faabac71261131085da02be

Gotta love this "Hate whiffery?  Bugger off!" paragraph:

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. This piece of equipment is a fictional machine based on an alternative history of the development of the Soviet military-industrial complex, so it has nothing to do with real history. If you don't like alternate history, then skip this post. Well, if you don't mind plunging into the world of fantasy and large-scale modeling, welcome to watch." :wacko:

Yes, there's hope!  :lol:

Rheged

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 26, 2021, 08:17:49 AM
Quote from: scooter on January 26, 2021, 07:33:01 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 26, 2021, 05:54:57 AM
Found my "Object 511" SPAAG from the Prototypes GB in a Russian blog, with credits and reference to whatifmodellers.com  :lol::

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5bfae45c2524ba00aa55f259/obekt-511-on-je-zsu-376-lena-nemnogo-alternativnoi-istorii-5faabac71261131085da02be

Gotta love this "Hate whiffery?  Bugger off!" paragraph:

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. This piece of equipment is a fictional machine based on an alternative history of the development of the Soviet military-industrial complex, so it has nothing to do with real history. If you don't like alternate history, then skip this post. Well, if you don't mind plunging into the world of fantasy and large-scale modeling, welcome to watch." :wacko:

Yes, there's hope!  :lol:

Hurrah!!  How very restrained, all considered.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2021, 07:43:11 AM
'...LARGE scale modelling....'?  :-\

It's 1/72 scale, for crying out loud!

Isn't the term "Braille Scale" derived from describing the size of 1/72?  I suppose if you build an aircraft carrier the "thing" would be large but in general 1/72 sure ain't what I'd call "large scale."  :unsure:  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

There is, or was, a 1/72 scale model of the USS Enterprise (the aircraft carrier, not the starship...) in the Smithsonian Annexe, complete with an F-14 era airwing.

As it's almost 16 feet long it's pretty darned impressive!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2021, 12:25:22 PM
There is, or was, a 1/72 scale model of the USS Enterprise (the aircraft carrier, not the starship...) in the Smithsonian Annexe, complete with an F-14 era airwing.

As it's almost 16 feet long it's pretty darned impressive!  :o

I remember the article in FineScale Modeler about that. It had a couple of in-progress shots, including (IIRC) one of the hull perched on a couple of chairs and the builder standing on it.
To show it's structural strength, presumably... and 'just because'!

They even had to have a fold-out in that issue to show it's entire length in one decent-sized photo.

Impressive stuff, as you said.

TheChronicOne

I've seen the pictures!  That's a nutty level of enthusiasm for sure. Imagine dragging it around to shows...... 
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

IIRC the air wing was a group effort of his local model group.

I think there is also a WW2-era flat-top model in 1/72, also with a group-effort air wing.
Again, ISTR it featured in FSM a while back.

But with the sheer size, it's no surprise the completed model is in a museum.
Though I think the WW2 one is in a specially-constructed room of the owner's house...

Nick

There was a 1/72 HMS Ark Royal (c1970) at the Model Engineers show in Alexandra Palace a few years back. I believe the owner used a horse box to move it around.  :o
It had working lights, turning props, rotors, moving radar and elevators of course!

PR19_Kit

That same model of the Ark was at the International Model Boat Show a couple of years ago too.

It stole the show, if only because it was the very first model you saw coming through the barriers.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

It's why my RC ships are at 1/144th scale 😉

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2021, 09:25:08 AM
That same model of the Ark was at the International Model Boat Show a couple of years ago too.

It stole the show, if only because it was the very first model you saw coming through the barriers.  ;D

Did you see the 1/24th scale Invincible at the Greenwich show about 25 years ago? It had a bunch of converted Airfix SHARs on board and was driven by a guy seated midships with his head sticking out of the flight deck. At Greenwich it was on a trailer, the only way they could have sailed it was on the Thames! If memory serves, the guy lived on the shores of Loch Ness and operated there.

The model was converted from a Royal Navy recruitment display piece, originally waterline he added the lower hull and an outboard motor (in board).

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I've been there and seen that carrier, most impressive.  :thumbsup:

One of the other ship models they have there, a cruiser or battleship, is made of METAL! Awe inspiring work.  ;D

One one wall of the hangar they have a mural (the ENTIRE size of the wall!) showing a Corsair (bent wing version...) on approach to a carrier deck, and the artists point of view is about 20 ft behind the aircraft, so it's pretty much life size. The carrier is tiny of course, and some distance away.

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

In my 20's  I  built  an R/C U-25 submarine, it is approx 1/48th scale. I still have it and it resides in my living room. I built it from obechi laminates  and carved it.  It dives on its  planes.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Its been many years since I've been there, but the Intrepid had (and might still have) the filming model of the Nevada IIRC from Tora, Tora, Tora.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng