WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Good on you, Scooter - at least you've called him on it, and maybe it'll make him do the right thing.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 28, 2021, 12:33:02 PM
One one wall of the hangar they have a mural (the ENTIRE size of the wall!) showing a Corsair (bent wing version...) on approach to a carrier deck, and the artists point of view is about 20 ft behind the aircraft, so it's pretty much life size. The carrier is tint of course, and some distance away.

That'd be this one:

I'd suggest "small", not quite "tiny". ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

That sure looks like it yes, but I recalled it was a lot larger, taking up the entire end wall of the hangar.

After a lot of thought I figured out why.

Many of the exhibits at Palm Springs originally came from the museum at Anoka County Airport in Minneapolis, and the guy who did the mural did some there too, so maybe he did a new one for the Palm Springs Museum? IIRC the Museum was owned by Bob Pond, him of the Pond Racer aircraft, and he moved the whole collection to sunnier climes. Hardly surprising with the winters that Minnesota has!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: scooter on January 29, 2021, 06:39:41 AM
I was a d!ck and went ahead and did this.  And compared him to Disney and their love of stealing fanon SW designs

Good man!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Yeah, power to Scooter!!  :thumbsup:  :bow: :cheers:

Thanks a lot - I was about to report the pages, but this is only possible when you register to deviantart (great [non] user service...), and that was IMHO not worth it.'

Curious about the reaction, though.  :rolleyes:

scooter

His reply, and perttime's call out-

At this point, I say we keep an eye on his page, and if/when they've completed their "book" and sent it for publishing, bring up the issues of art-theft to the publisher.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote...diz is credited in the illustration here...

Not readably, all you can see is a stylised 'DZ'. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

perttime

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2021, 09:48:40 AM
Quote...diz is credited in the illustration here...

Not readably, all you can see is a stylised 'DZ'. :(
Now I see it: the image in the comment is a link to the Arsenal VB.31 Requin illustration, and that one has adequate credit:"Designe inspired by the awesome what if modeler dizzyfugu: www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/ "

Dizzyfugu

Yes, which is more or less fine. But the derivative, then "book page" yields no reference to the original sources at all. This might lead to commercial used of stolen intellectual property for commercial uses (without consent or any consultation), and that's what REALLY p!sses me of. I feel flattered when my work inspires others, but sometimes these things go strange ways. I had the case of a similar "author" from the USA who was into Luft '46 aircraft, and he asked me for a grainy Ta 183 picture for a publication. I agreed, happily, and asked for a source credit in the publication, and everythingh was fine. But this one here... I cannot judge the scope of it.  :-\ But at least he's aware that there are eyes on the issue. Again, many thanks for chiming in!

perttime

He has made a couple of responses:

"Yep, I've added the credit here as well.

Initialy I wanted to contat him but the Flickr I've created in order to message him never worked and I never got an answer from support. I've not found any other way to contact him.

I can understand how annoyed he gets when people use his photos. I initially found his picture on Pinterest and the link pointed to a forum (nationstate or something quite similar), I took the time to do a reverse search to find the original author. That's when I created my Flickr account that never worked.

If you have his mail address or something feel  free to it to me in PM.
"

And

"I  also want to make it clear that even if I made these drawings to illustrate a short story, it is just a text on a forum and not a commercial text.

In fact, I changed the description, because in retrospect it could have made people think that I was going to make a commercial use of this image. The "Alternate Hisotry design" is just an idea for a book in which I would have gathered uchronic concepts that I draw (vehicle, technology...). The pages are just quick mock-ups and if this project was ever to see the light of day it wouldn't be for years, probably a decade or so. It's obvious that if by then I hadn't found a way to contact dizzyfugu to ask his permission, I wouldn't have made any commercial use of the illustrations inspired by his photos.

I have therefore edited the description to remove all references to this arlesian project and avoid any misunderstanding.

PS: sorry if my English is difficult, it's not my native language.
"

edit:
I mentioned, in a comment, that you post here frequently.

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on January 31, 2021, 04:47:21 AM
He has made a couple of responses:

"Yep, I've added the credit here as well.

Initialy I wanted to contat him but the Flickr I've created in order to message him never worked and I never got an answer from support. I've not found any other way to contact him.

I can understand how annoyed he gets when people use his photos. I initially found his picture on Pinterest and the link pointed to a forum (nationstate or something quite similar), I took the time to do a reverse search to find the original author. That's when I created my Flickr account that never worked.

If you have his mail address or something feel  free to it to me in PM.
"

And

"I  also want to make it clear that even if I made these drawings to illustrate a short story, it is just a text on a forum and not a commercial text.

In fact, I changed the description, because in retrospect it could have made people think that I was going to make a commercial use of this image. The "Alternate Hisotry design" is just an idea for a book in which I would have gathered uchronic concepts that I draw (vehicle, technology...). The pages are just quick mock-ups and if this project was ever to see the light of day it wouldn't be for years, probably a decade or so. It's obvious that if by then I hadn't found a way to contact dizzyfugu to ask his permission, I wouldn't have made any commercial use of the illustrations inspired by his photos.

I have therefore edited the description to remove all references to this arlesian project and avoid any misunderstanding.

PS: sorry if my English is difficult, it's not my native language.
"

edit:
I mentioned, in a comment, that you post here frequently.

There seems to be some willingness to correct, doesn't it?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote...I initially found his picture on Pinterest...

What have that load of shifties done to have one of Ziggy's pics on their site?  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 31, 2021, 04:58:55 AM

There does indeed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 31, 2021, 05:59:00 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 31, 2021, 04:58:55 AM

There does indeed  :thumbsup:

And good on him too, for the willingness.  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Yup, at least some remorse and not the Russian style of "Found it on net, mine".

BTW: Pinterest is a horrible thing, because people "pin" whatever they find there, and my stuff ends up in sometimes doubtful collections. For instance, my Me 262/Ki 46 nightfighter kitbash shows up in MANY themed photo panels, even in a rather glorifyiung 3rd Reich context, but I cannot prevent it. Even deleting pics does not halp, because the Pinterest pics seem to be copies. It's a fight gainst windwills...  :-\