WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2021, 04:12:59 AM
Fabulous.  That's one for the pirate GB.

If you want to try it then you can still find the kit, although the ones I saw were going for silly money. It has upsides and downsides. On the upside, the seating 'pods' fore and aft are separate pieces, so you could leave them off to get more deck space. On the downside, all of the saloon fittings, chairs, bars, etc.., are moulded to the floor in one piece, so changing them would be a major PITA.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 20, 2021, 03:25:50 AM
Looks like a prop from "Waterworld" (it's missing somehow a quad 0.5" AA position)? Well done, and cool subject.

Since the fibreglass probably can't take much recoil, my thought was to use one of those Maxxon quad mountings, but replace the machine-guns with a pair of recoilless rifles or a pair of aircraft rocket pods. :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Another honk "stealing" artwork without reference and probably clue...

https://live.warthunder.com/post/993452/en/

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on July 22, 2021, 11:59:48 AM
Looks like a prop from "Waterworld" (it's missing somehow a quad 0.5" AA position)? Well done, and cool subject.

Since the fibreglass probably can't take much recoil, my thought was to use one of those Maxxon quad mountings, but replace the machine-guns with a pair of recoilless rifles or a pair of aircraft rocket pods. :wacko:

Have to watch the backblast on the rocket pods.  Fiberglass ain't to fond of heat either.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 05, 2021, 06:39:26 AM
Another honk "stealing" artwork without reference and probably clue...

https://live.warthunder.com/post/993452/en/

You should probably start watermarking your model photos.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

That's probably right, but UGLY! And you'd never get this kind of great expert conversations:

"I found stuff for models but no information on any actual prototypes."

"It's highly likely just a model made out of other models, put before a printed backdrop :)"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 05, 2021, 11:59:18 PM

"It's highly likely just a model made out of other models, put before a printed backdrop :)"[/i]

And that's bad because......?  :-\

It's what we DO here!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

I might have written something to this effect previously, but I still think the mentally soundest way to deal with pic nicking morons is to comment something along the lines of "my build, my pic. Cool you liked it" and then don't bother. They say that 75% of the world are twats, and considering that all people here are great..  Just saying..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 06, 2021, 02:08:55 AM
They say that 75% of the world are twats,

Depending on the circumstances that figure can increase considerably  ;)

Mind you I cannot deny I've slipped comfortably into that description at times, especially in my miss-spent youth  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Depends on the structure underneath, and you can always use doublers and other reinforcements
when adding the mounts. The fwd. gun would require extensive shoring and strengthening below
the deck and the added weight of gun and reinforcements would mean a reduction in top speed.
Trying to go as fast as the stock boat with all that added weight fwd. would over stress a hull not
designed to carry that much weight in that position. Reduced buoyancy fwd. is never a good thing,
and it would make it more difficult to get up on plane and you wouldn't want to get it pounding.

Boat design is a careful balancing of desires, requirements, role and the realities of the chosen
construction type. A boat is a collection of compromises.

A fibreglass boat can get that manky if not cleaned regularly, however it'd be streaks of grime
and general filth, in a cooler wet climate it could even have algae or moss growing in the nooks
and crannies of the superstructure and deck. Boats go to hell in short order if not constantly
maintained.

Doug K

Quote from: Pellson on August 06, 2021, 02:08:55 AM
I might have written something to this effect previously, but I still think the mentally soundest way to deal with pic nicking morons is to comment something along the lines of "my build, my pic. Cool you liked it" and then don't bother. They say that 75% of the world are twats, and considering that all people here are great..  Just saying..  ;)

Only 75%?

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 06, 2021, 11:07:38 AM

Depends on the structure underneath, and you can always use doublers and other reinforcements
when adding the mounts. The fwd. gun would require extensive shoring and strengthening below
the deck and the added weight of gun and reinforcements would mean a reduction in top speed.
Trying to go as fast as the stock boat with all that added weight fwd. would over stress a hull not
designed to carry that much weight in that position. Reduced buoyancy fwd. is never a good thing,
and it would make it more difficult to get up on plane and you wouldn't want to get it pounding.

Boat design is a careful balancing of desires, requirements, role and the realities of the chosen

A fibreglass boat can get that manky if not cleaned regularly, however it'd be streaks of grime
and general filth, in a cooler wet climate it could even have algae or moss growing in the nooks
and crannies of the superstructure and deck. Boats go to hell in short order if not constantly
maintained.

Yep, hence my idea with the RRs or RPs: it's easier to add heat shields to the outside after the fact than start screwing about with the structure after it's built, especially after it's in the water: what do you think the chances are of these guys having a dry dock?

Is it an appropriate craft for it's new role? Probably not, but post-apocalyptica is usually a matter of Hobson's Choice: you Mad Max what you can get your hands on, not what you'd choose in a ideal world. If it t was an ideal world, you wouldn't be making these kind of choices in the first place...

Dead right about the weathering: it'd be mostly green algae, UV fading and patterns of micro-cracking in the gel coat, which would look pale grey in this scale. I can walk down the canal near my home and see all of these on boats that have been tied up unmoving for years, and that's only in an inland waterways environment. You sometimes see rust streaks from metal fittings like cleats, but IIRC, all the hardware on the yacht is stainless steel. You'd get rust streaks from some of the 'unauthorised additions', of course.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 05, 2021, 11:59:18 PM
That's probably right, but UGLY! And you'd never get this kind of great expert conversations:

"I found stuff for models but no information on any actual prototypes."

"It's highly likely just a model made out of other models, put before a printed backdrop :)"

Someone's added a link to your Flickr now.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on August 05, 2021, 11:30:17 AM

Have to watch the backblast on the rocket pods.  Fiberglass ain't to fond of heat either.

True, but then rocket blast isn't around for more than a second either, so it's not like the heat's sustained or concentrated. You could probably get away with some aluminium sheet as blast deflectors if you can find it, and if you've got a source of aircraft rocket pods, chances are some aluminium will be around too. If the panels were scavenged from an abandoned aircraft, they might still have some of the original paint on them, which would be a cool detail and give a subtle clue about where the yacht got it's post-apocalypse conversion.

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on August 06, 2021, 09:10:46 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 06, 2021, 11:07:38 AM

maintained.

Yep, hence my idea with the RRs or RPs: it's easier to add heat shields to the outside after the fact than start screwing about with the structure after it's built, especially after it's in the water: what do you think the chances are of these guys having a dry dock?

Is it an appropriate craft for it's new role? Probably not, but post-apocalyptica is usually a matter of Hobson's Choice: you Mad Max what you can get your hands on, not what you'd choose in a ideal world. If it t was an ideal world, you wouldn't be making these kind of choices in the first place...

Dead right about the weathering: it'd be mostly green algae, UV fading and patterns of micro-cracking in the gel coat, which would look pale grey in this scale. I can walk down the canal near my home and see all of these on boats that have been tied up unmoving for years, and that's only in an inland waterways environment. You sometimes see rust streaks from metal fittings like cleats, but IIRC, all the hardware on the yacht is stainless steel. You'd get rust streaks from some of the 'unauthorised additions', of course.

A 'drydock' wouldn't be needed, the structural reinforcements would be in the form of additions,
a couple of sheets of heavy plywood on deck, bolted through to beams under the deck and then
posts transferring the loads to the keel.
No haulout required.  ;D ;)

Keeping the 11,000 liter fuel tanks full and the engines/drives maintained would be the tough part.  ;)

This one had a major refit in 2019 for a mere €1.2 million.
https://www.breezeyachting.swiss/sunseeker-predator-108-thank-you-page