WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: perttime on August 28, 2021, 05:11:30 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2021, 05:03:26 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 28, 2021, 01:06:44 AM
Quote from: SleeperService on August 27, 2021, 10:00:29 AM

You should be safe about the PR.19 leak now BTW, apparently the file went missing when it was removed with a bunch of files 'lost' by Theresa May that were on the same shelf. Apparently. I doubt there's any trace of it now. Nudge nudge wink wink.

The usual Government excuses for missing files are:-
1) Bomb damage to the Records Office during the 1940-41 Blitz
2) An unfortunate fire at the (unspecified) military depot where material was stored in the late 1970's
3) The material has been mis-filed and the error has not yet been rectified
4) The floods of 2005  resulted in document loss/damage..............and for decent documentation.........
5) The material exists, but has not yet been catalogued  due to COVID safe working procedures

That ought to cover most eventualities. 

Yes, I believe bureaucracies worldwide are finding Covid extremely convenient...
;D
"Never let a good crisis go to waste? "
(I believe Winston Churchill did not originate that)

Sir Humphrey Applegate?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2021, 05:24:53 AM
Quote from: perttime on August 28, 2021, 05:11:30 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2021, 05:03:26 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 28, 2021, 01:06:44 AM
Quote from: SleeperService on August 27, 2021, 10:00:29 AM

You should be safe about the PR.19 leak now BTW, apparently the file went missing when it was removed with a bunch of files 'lost' by Theresa May that were on the same shelf. Apparently. I doubt there's any trace of it now. Nudge nudge wink wink.

The usual Government excuses for missing files are:-
1) Bomb damage to the Records Office during the 1940-41 Blitz
2) An unfortunate fire at the (unspecified) military depot where material was stored in the late 1970's
3) The material has been mis-filed and the error has not yet been rectified
4) The floods of 2005  resulted in document loss/damage..............and for decent documentation.........
5) The material exists, but has not yet been catalogued  due to COVID safe working procedures

That ought to cover most eventualities. 

Yes, I believe bureaucracies worldwide are finding Covid extremely convenient...
;D
"Never let a good crisis go to waste? "
(I believe Winston Churchill did not originate that)

Sir Humphrey Applegate?

Yes, Prime Minister.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

It's Appleby isn't it.  Not Applegate.
But you got the point.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The skin based on my whiffy Saab J32A model seems to be quite popular at warthunder.com, screenshots of it in action frequently pop up, like this:

BTW, in the meantime I have come to believe that the cammo on the model was misinterpreted by me - it was originally based on a profile drawing, with rather odd colors (due to printing, I guess), but I think now that it is just the standard olive green/dark blue Lansen scheme with the sand brown added on top.  :o

Still looks quite good, even in virtual form.  ;D

Pellson

That was a test camouflage painted by the RSwAF's trials and test centre (FörsöksCentralen, hence the FC wing code) I have only managed to find a b/w photo and the text only says that the colours are undefined. Official records state that several different schemes were tried in the late fifties but only two are described in text. This is not one of them. Hence we don't know whether the pictured one just added brown or if it was something else entirely

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Oh, a cool find/picture of "SC/29", I did not know this one (until now  ;D). I'd love to see a color shot of that aircraft, though.

Pellson

One interesting thing to note is that the colours of the Swedish rounded appears reversed, but that is due to the kind of b/w film used, and a known issue during the 1920's - 1950's. Right now I can't remember why exactly, but it should be noted as is could mean that the lighter fields of the camp wasn't lighter at all.

Note also the band just behind the radome on the nose. That band is bright orange, which is the colour of the FC. It doesn't come out that bright here.

On nose bands in general - those were mostly division/squadron colours. Each wing flew normally three but on a few occasions up to five sqns, coloured as follows:

1st: red
2nd: blue
3rd: yellow
4th: green
5th: black

White was for a period used for aircraft allocated to the Air Staff to maintain the flying skills of the generals.

Orange as said used by the FC, but also by the Air Force Rescue Service, flying helicopters.

These colours could be repeated on tactical code letters on the aircraft, but also on silk scarves used by aircrew. I have a blue one myself..  ;)

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

tahsin

Dizzyfugu

Something completely different - but well researched and presented (and immediately trolled and rejected by a certain audience): fictional tanks in an anime/manga series, namely from Full Metal Alchemist:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/tanks-of-fullmetal-alchemist/

There's also an intersting article about the rhomboid tank from the 3rd Indiana Jones film a.k.a. "The Last Crusade Tank":

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/fictional-tanks-hatay-heavy-tank/

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 14, 2021, 06:53:14 AM

There's also an intersting article about the rhomboid tank from the 3rd Indiana Jones film a.k.a. "The Last Crusade Tank":

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/fictional-tanks-hatay-heavy-tank/

Gotta love how the props department built a fully armed and operational battlestation modified Mark VIII International.  The Tank Encyclopedia's video <<HERE!>>
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Anyone fancy flying my fictional Iraqi F-86 in a digital flight simulator?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3318385/?sphrase_id=7539681

Nice CG rendition, though, and some proper credit.

jcf

This part in the Hatay tank story cracks me up:
QuoteThe inset image of the interior shows just how much room there is inside the vehicle with the driver in the foreground and the turret platform behind.
;D ;D

The writer doesn't seem to grasp that the dimensions of interior sets of movie vehicles like
this one do not match with the external dimensions of the vehicle. The Aliens APC being one
of the most hilariously out of line. Film FX and set design folks evidently have Tardis tech.

;D

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 21, 2021, 11:16:21 AM
QuoteThe inset image of the interior shows just how much room there is inside the vehicle with the driver in the foreground and the turret platform behind.
;D ;D

The writer doesn't seem to grasp that the dimensions of interior sets of movie vehicles like
this one do not much with the external dimensions of the vehicle. The Aliens APC being one
of the most hilariously out of line. Film FX and set design folks evidently have Tardis tech.

;D

;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Logan Hartke

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 21, 2021, 11:16:21 AM

The writer doesn't seem to grasp that the dimensions of interior sets of movie vehicles like this one do not match with the external dimensions of the vehicle. The Aliens APC being one of the most hilariously out of line. Film FX and set design folks evidently have Tardis tech.

That seems unfair. That caption/comment is found under the section that starts with "The Film Representation". He's clearly commenting on the aspects of the vehicle as depicted in the film, as though it was depicting reality, understanding full well that it does not.

Later in the article, under the heading "Building the Tank", the same writer says:

QuoteThe only real part of the interior was the driver's seat. The rest of the interior scenes were filmed in a studio. The tank was driven in the film by special effects technician Brian Lince.

Like most of us, he splits his brain into the "alternate history" for the first half of the article, then the "real world" for the second half. In fact, many of those captions read to me like the author is pointing out things that don't quite jive with realism while trying to maintain that illusion and I think that's exactly what Mark Nash is doing here. He's pointing out how cavernous the interior is on screen when we all know it would be more cramped if it really existed and wasn't just a set in a studio.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 26, 2021, 11:08:54 PM
http://alternathistory.com/zsu-e-50-41-einheits-flakpanzer-e-50-88-mm-angel-hranitel-nemetskih-tankovyh-divizij/

That's pretty neat, Dizzy. You should try something like that.  ;) ;D

In fairness, at least they give you credit and link to your work at the end!

Cheers,

Logan