WHIFS from other forums

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 23, 2012, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Should one be proud or expect others to need glasses when they call your model "(...)a very well done 3D render."?  :rolleyes: Found my maritime recce Wellesley elsewhere:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/picture-of-the-day.39445/page-1009#post-1646359

Most entertaining comment: "I agree about the Wellesley. Flaps down and flying at what looks like 35000 feet. Gotta be a fake.".

And the most sensible comment follows soon thereafter: "Michael (and anybody who copied or posted the above or similar photos by a modeller known as D i z z y f u g u - I can recognize his models from miles), be careful with posting his creations without giving him credit or not mentioning his name . Even if you do it for fun, make a joke or else he'll come (sooner or later) after you, looking for his copyrights.
You've been warned!;););)
Cheers!
"

;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 04, 2021, 03:37:40 AM

Most entertaining comment: "I agree about the Wellesley. Flaps down and flying at what looks like 35000 feet. Gotta be a fake.".

How does he think it GOT to 35000 ft?  :-\

Of course the flaps are down!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Don't ask. Such posts are like car accidents: you see them, cannot turn your eyes off of them, and later you are happy that you were not directly involved.  :rolleyes:

The Rat

It amazes me that there are people who don't seem to even know that the whiff world exists. They have some sort of idea that it's impossible to do anything other than real world. Sad, so sad.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Presumably such people never, ever read fiction as it isn't real. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

Quote from: The Rat on December 04, 2021, 09:15:20 AM
It amazes me that there are people who don't seem to even know that the whiff world exists. They have some sort of idea that it's impossible to do anything other than real world. Sad, so sad.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

"Wait, you made a MiG-15, gave it UK roundels, camo and serial numbers? How very dare you! Also, those serial numbers are clearly USN WWII. You shouldn't be allowed to build kits."

nighthunter

Quote from: frank2056 on December 04, 2021, 10:00:57 AM
"Wait, you made a MiG-15, gave it UK roundels, camo and serial numbers? How very dare you! Also, those serial numbers are clearly USN WWII. You shouldn't be allowed to build kits."
"And on top of everything, those are USAF colors, Gunship gray and Dark Green. The US Navy serials belong to a Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, made in 1944 *snort*.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Rick Lowe

Quote from: nighthunter on December 04, 2021, 11:12:23 AM
"And on top of everything, those are USAF colors, Gunship gray and Dark Green. The US Navy serials belong to a Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, made in 1944 *snort*.

And the sad thing is, that's not very far from the truth - probably almost a direct quote...

nighthunter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 07, 2021, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: nighthunter on December 04, 2021, 11:12:23 AM

And the sad thing is, that's not very far from the truth - probably almost a direct quote...
;D :rolleyes: :laugh: :wacko: :banghead:

Not like I've "Not" heard that bullpucky before, LOL!

When doing your best to replicate a specific thing, like the "Enola Gay"  the day she dropped The Bomb, or USS Washington BB-56 in November of 1942 during the 2nd Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, for examples, yes, discussing "rivet counting" is critical preferably before the model is completed to make it the most accurate, but for fun whiffs, just makes that person sound like the rectal area of a leech.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Rheged

JMN nitpickers are a pain in the tonsils (or possibly much further down the digestive tract).  However, not all modellers who strive for TOTAL  accuracy  are JMNs.   A friend of mine makes O gauge locomotives, to a staggering level of accuracy.   When I showed him a Garrett 2-6-4--4-6-2 in DRS livery,  he looked at it closely and said  "IF they'd built those engines, that's exactly what they would have looked like".    He understood whiffery, even if he didn't want to participate himself.   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Caveman

Quote from: Rheged on December 10, 2021, 10:29:56 AM
JMN nitpickers are a pain in the tonsils (or possibly much further down the digestive tract).  However, not all modellers who strive for TOTAL  accuracy  are JMNs.   A friend of mine makes O gauge locomotives, to a staggering level of accuracy.   When I showed him a Garrett 2-6-4--4-6-2 in DRS livery,  he looked at it closely and said  "IF they'd built those engines, that's exactly what they would have looked like".    He understood whiffery, even if he didn't want to participate himself.

Thats about the best compliment I think a whif can get.
secretprojects forum migrant

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

They work for model magazines and write kit reviews containing comments like "the fact it served with many airforces allows us to paint it a number of different ways.  Some of them quite colourfull..."

I'm too lazy to strive for complete accuracy.  Sometimes I start off down that path but always give up when research is involved.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on December 16, 2021, 03:39:58 AM
I'm too lazy to strive for complete accuracy.  Sometimes I start off down that path but always give up when research is involved.

This was my way into whif as well. I'm just too lazy (and cheap!) to superdetail or super-research something that I do for my own relaxation. It's a lot funnier just allowing yourself some wiggleroom towards reality, bending a few rules and cutting some corners, and as we see daily here - the result is much generally more rewarding than just depicting someone elses designs.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!