What to do with a 1/48 churchill.

Started by coolpop6307, January 24, 2012, 08:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolpop6307

I have an aurora 1/48 churchill and I want to do some whiffery to it. Anyone got any good ideas.
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

NARSES2

I've always wondered what a AT version of the Churchill would look like. Mount a 17pdr in a similar arrangement to the Archer and use it as a mobile defensive AT for the infantry ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Scale-bash, to a 1:35 Bren Carrier-style machine, or a 1:72 super-heavy?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Paint the turret black, give it a rim & paint the gun brown with a grey tip. :drink:

How about an AA platform?  Some of the anti-aircraft missile systems described in BSP4 might work well on a Churchill chassis, new uses found for them as the Centurion comes into service?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

I gotta say....I like the idea of a 1/72 scale super tank....with a super silly battle ship size main gun and a 17pdr co-ax.....oh yes.!!!!!!.......a AAA platform mated with a Flak 38 and in Israeli colours....they made the best of what they could get.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Old Wombat

I would consider the possibility of a 17 pounder "Firefly" version, as per the Sherman. :thumbsup:

Although the 1/72nd super tank has merit; with multiple 17-pounder turrets, possibly with 20mm/40mm auto-cannon as coaxial weapons, & small mg turrets to keep the enemy troops away. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 25, 2012, 07:54:22 AM
I would consider the possibility of a 17 pounder "Firefly" version, as per the Sherman. :thumbsup:

Although the 1/72nd super tank has merit; with multiple 17-pounder turrets, possibly with 20mm/40mm auto-cannon as coaxial weapons, & small mg turrets to keep the enemy troops away. ;)

This happened with the Black Prince, a Churchill development that fielded a 17 pdr but was abandoned in favour of the Centurion.  A conversion might be an idea.  I don't what it'd take though to chop a Churchill in to one, would probably be a lot of work.  The other option is to do a 'minimum change' instead of the full monty that was the Black Prince?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_(tank)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

An Aurora kit?  Flog it on ebay then buy a Tamiya one and pocket the difference.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

coolpop6307

Thanks guys for all the ideas. ;D and I have looked for a modern 1/48 churchill but I have not found one.
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

The Wooksta!

Honestly thought Tamiya had done one in 48th.  Still, Aurora kits fetch a high price on the collectors market so I'd flog it rather than build it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on January 25, 2012, 08:51:00 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on January 25, 2012, 07:54:22 AM

This happened with the Black Prince, a Churchill development that fielded a 17 pdr but was abandoned in favour of the Centurion.  A conversion might be an idea.  I don't what it'd take though to chop a Churchill in to one, would probably be a lot of work.  The other option is to do a 'minimum change' instead of the full monty that was the Black Prince?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_(tank)

Converting a Churchill to a Black Prince would be a lot of work. The hull is wider to start with. Not sure the Churchill turret ring is big enough for a 17pdr and don't know if a "Firefly" solution would work ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

"Stug" Churchill? Simple box superstructure with a big ball mantlet, or go back to the original layout with the 17pdr in the hull (instead of the 3" howitzer) and a smaller gun in the turret.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 25, 2012, 02:00:15 AM
I've always wondered what a AT version of the Churchill would look like. Mount a 17pdr in a similar arrangement to the Archer and use it as a mobile defensive AT for the infantry ?

A bit like this 3in gun carrier
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 25, 2012, 09:47:45 AM
Honestly thought Tamiya had done one in 48th.  Still, Aurora kits fetch a high price on the collectors market so I'd flog it rather than build it.

Have to say that, cold-hearted and calculating though it may be, that's exactly what I'd do!  ;D :thumbsup: You could probably get a 1/35th modern one for what you get for the "collectable" Aurora kit..... :rolleyes: (The only one I can find a quick web search is priced at $110.... :blink:)

Re what to do with any big Churchill: go the whole hog with the scaleorama and mount a 1/100th or 1/144th fighter on top of it as a self-propelled ZELL setup! The Churchill is particularly suitable for scaleorama because of it's zillions of tiny roadwheels .....

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

deathjester

What you're all forgetting...big tank, lots of hull decking, zillions of roadwheels.........BOLO!!! :tank: :thumbsup: