Airfix 1/72 Shorts Sunderland composite idea

Started by McColm, January 27, 2012, 04:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

During WWII Hawker tried the composite idea with the Liberator/Hurricane. I don't have any information to hand or any pictures of this idea, nor do I know if they reached operational status.
The Germans worked on their Mistel Ju 88/BF 109 or FW-190, packing the nose of the bomber aircraft with explosives and using the fighter aircraft to guide it to it's intended target. 250 Mistel sorties were flown with mixed results. Airfix produced its own 1/72 Mistel kit.
The Shorts Mayo idea is discussed in another topic, my idea would be to use the Sunderland fitted with six engines and a longer wing for the long range flight and carry either a Spitfire or Goose. This could be military or for civvie use.
The idea for the Liberator/Hurricane composite is a great Whiff, has this been tried before?

kitnut617

Haven't heard about the Liberator/Hurricane combo before, but this below I have,

Now whether it's a 'real deal' is up to question because I've not found anything extra about it either, except this pic and a paragraph that said it was the brainchild of a USAAF officer
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Glider composites were used during WWI, not too sure if they were tested during WWII. I've got a P-38 in my stash, under 'restoration projects'. Thanks for the info.

pyro-manic

Would a P-38 have enough grunt to lift a laden glider? Or would there be a towing aircraft for liftoff and the P-38 used to extend the range?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

The Sunderland could probably lift a Spit or a Goose as it stood. The top half of the Mayo Composite, 'Mercury', wasn't a small aircraft at all, and the lower half, 'Maia' was an Empire 'C' boat with a slightly widened hull.

Mind you, a six engined Sunderland would look LOADS n better and be much more fun to build.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 27, 2012, 08:40:36 AM
Would a P-38 have enough grunt to lift a laden glider? Or would there be a towing aircraft for liftoff and the P-38 used to extend the range?

Sure, given a long enough runway.   ;)

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on January 27, 2012, 04:27:04 AM
During WWII Hawker tried the composite idea with the Liberator/Hurricane. I don't have any information to hand or any pictures of this idea, nor do I know if they reached operational status.

Vickers apparently came up with the idea of a Wellington/Hurricane composite.  ;D ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on January 27, 2012, 12:12:51 PM
Vickers apparently came up with the idea of a Wellington/Hurricane composite.  ;D ;)

As modelled by someone not a million miles away, eh?  ;) ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 27, 2012, 08:40:36 AM

It was intended for ferrying the glider once unloaded back to base.   The weight of the Hamilcar was apparently within the limits of the P-38 but I suspect it would have been a slow trip.  The Hamiilcar X was a much better idea - a Hamilcar would fly into the LZ after the operation had concluded (presumbly successfully) carrying engines, which would then be attached to the front of the wings of the other Hamilcars and they would then fly out under their own power.   The Germans also experimented with the same idea with the Go242 glider, from which the Go242 transport was created - again the original idea was to utilise "power eggs" - engines attached to the glider to fly it out of the LZ after the operation was over.   These gliders, while cheap were still worth conserving where possible.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on January 27, 2012, 12:12:51 PM

Naughty boy  :wacko: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

An idea of a triple stack of having the Sunderland for the base, a Mosquito and then fighter on top of that. :banghead:

lancer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 27, 2012, 10:11:50 AM
The Sunderland could probably lift a Spit or a Goose as it stood. The top half of the Mayo Composite, 'Mercury', wasn't a small aircraft at all, and the lower half, 'Maia' was an Empire 'C' boat with a slightly widened hull.

Mind you, a six engined Sunderland would look LOADS n better and be much more fun to build.  ;D

With longer wings to accomodate the extra engines,yes?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Martin H

this do you?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

McColm