All at Sea

Started by tigercat, January 29, 2012, 06:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

The F3 had a longer forward fuselage to accommodate more fuel.  An F3 fuselage with GR1 nose would give the GR type more range without recourse to bigger external tanks or IFR.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 30, 2012, 06:41:59 AM
The F3 had a longer forward fuselage to accommodate more fuel.  An F3 fuselage with GR1 nose would give the GR type more range without recourse to bigger external tanks or IFR.

Ah. Thanks. How daft of me..  :banghead: 
Well. It seems a not to hopeless project to conclude in plastic..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Quote from: Hobbes on January 29, 2012, 11:36:22 AM
My favorite could-have-been naval aircraft is the Fokker F-28 tanker/COD:

Are you sure that's an F-28? The Airfix 1/72 kit that I've got in my stash has two turboprop engines.
As to the EE Lightning naval variant this was a two seater with VG wings and a arrester hook. I agree with you on the undercarriage legs, these could be replaced with twin boogies.
Then there is the Sea Typhoon yet to be built by the Indian Navy. The HS-125 could have been a tanker/COD or G222 Spartan.
I'm not too sure if the BAe Nimrod pint-sized version would have been too big to fit in the hanger space, probablerly left out on deck and if you want something really big try the C-17. I know that the  Jaguar and the C-130 had sea trials. A Sea Canberra?

PR19_Kit

You're thinking of an F-27.

The Airfix kit is a twin Dart powered Friendship, the aircraft Hobbes showed was a navalised F-28 FELLOWship, a different aircraft altogether, apart from being built by Fokker of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Does anybody make a 1/72 F28 Fellowship?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 31, 2012, 01:01:53 AM
Does anybody make a 1/72 F28 Fellowship?

Not that I know of, not in the mainstream airliner modelling field anyway.

There was a snap-fit 1/144 scale one available many years ago, and I may I have one in The Loft, but it's not really up to present day standards. Revell do quite a good 1/144 F-100 which may be convertible back to an F-28 with a bit of cutting and shutting and using different engines perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Yup, the Revell Fokker 100 is a good start. You can shorten the fuselage and end up with a reasonable F28.

Welsh has a Fokker 70 vacform, but it's listed as sold out.

Mossie

There were also proposals for DC-9 & 737 in the COD role.  There's a pick of a naval 727 missileer on Secret Projects too that has a tail hook, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would seriously propose it as a carrier aircraft!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

The Mig-21, Mig-27 and Mig-25 on board a Russian carrier.

rickshaw

You'd either need a very, very long flight deck or a catapult with serious grunt to get a MiG-25 off a carrier.  Landing it back on would be rather exciting, I suspect, as well.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Quote from: McColm on January 31, 2012, 02:04:47 AM
The Mig-21, Mig-27 and Mig-25 on board a Russian carrier.

Not quite MiG-27, but IIRC there was a prototype naval MiG-23A & a MiG-27K was a proposed advanced naval variant.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tigercat

What about a  carrier  built round the  ZELL concept

Mossie

There were definately ideas around the time Zell was popular, with recovery onto a carrier via a trapeze apparatus, tail sitting, nutcracker fuselages etc, even submarine launch & recovery.

famvburg

There was a COD proposal for the C-9 (in competition with the F28) & also a C-123 COD. I've always thought the DHC Caribou & Buffalo would have been good COD designs.

Mossie

Again with COD, wasn't there a proposal to navalise the Bae 146STA?  This would probably make more sense for a carrier aircraft.  I think Revell did a 1/144 kit of the 146STA, adding a tailhook & scribing wing folds shouldn't be too difficult if you can find it.

EDIT, I think the standard Revell BAe 146-100 TNT kit comes with the probe anyway so even if you can't find the STA kit it should be easy to do.