All at Sea

Started by tigercat, January 29, 2012, 06:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The HP Victor would have been great at sea, as it has a longer weapons bay than the B-1 Bone and the wings could fold up to save on storage above deck. They could have used it as a platform to launch the Sea Lightning. As a whiff you don't have to worry about the weight!!

PR19_Kit

It would need the MOTHER of all deck lifts though!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

That brings with it another whiff, megacarriers capable of deploying strategic bombers, force projection on steroids. :party:

It's crazy enough that I bet someone in defence had the idea & I'm hoping someone will stick plans on the table....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Wasn't the USS United States an attempt in that direction?

tigercat

How would the P47 have fared at sea?

rickshaw

It's relatively easy to fly off a carrier.  The landing on qualities are what are important.  The P-51 was found to have bad landing on qualities (apparently it used to "float" over the wires), which is why the USN wasn't willing to use it.  Apparently the assessment was that expert pilots could handle it and correct for its bad landing qualities but not all pilots are experts, so it was rejected.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Logan Hartke

Agreed, though on that specific point, the P-47 wasn't known for "floating".    :lol:

Cheers,

Logan

McColm

I wonder if anyone thought of putting a Lancaster bomber on an aircraft carrier?

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on February 15, 2012, 12:17:10 AM
I wonder if anyone thought of putting a Lancaster bomber on an aircraft carrier?

You would need one realy BIG carrier and catapult to launch one

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 15, 2012, 12:22:20 AM

Somewhere on t'Net there's a photo of a Manchester mounted on a land based catapult. I can remember wondering at the time why ANYone would even want to think of such madness.

I can't find the photo with a Google search but the Wiki page for the Manchester mentions '....Provision for catapult assisted takeoff to permit the maximum load was also part of the specification....'

Seems their Airships were cognicent of the RR Vulture's lack of power even before they put it in the aeroplane!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

My thinking behind this is similar to the article I read about the US Navy launching the Lockheed Neptune from an aircraft carrier. There is no mention of how the Neptune was loaded onto the aircraft carrier or whether or not it ever landed on one. The carrier could of being used just to launch the bomber and once the mission is over land at a friendly airfield.

Mossie

There was Habbakuk of course. The general idea was that it would have been large enough that heavy bombers would have been able to take off whithout assistance.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2012, 12:59:34 AM
Quote from: Gondor on February 15, 2012, 12:22:20 AM

Somewhere on t'Net there's a photo of a Manchester mounted on a land based catapult. I can remember wondering at the time why ANYone would even want to think of such madness.

I can't find the photo with a Google search but the Wiki page for the Manchester mentions '....Provision for catapult assisted takeoff to permit the maximum load was also part of the specification....'

Seems their Airships were cognicent of the RR Vulture's lack of power even before they put it in the aeroplane!

The idea was to ensure that you could use shorter runways to operate fully loaded aircraft.   You'd launch with the catapult and return much more lightly loaded and so was able to use the short runway.  Not as daft as it sounds, actually, considering that airstrip extension was a continual and expensive problem in the 1930-40s.

Must have been a hell of a ride, though.  You wouldn't want an engine to fail on take-off, would you?   :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Logan Hartke

I think an engine failing on the Manchester under most circumstances was dire.

Cheers,

Logan