Panzer IV / M113 kitbash

Started by mkhulu, February 01, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkhulu

Started yesterday chopping up an old 1/35 Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf D - radikale panzer chirurgie  ;D

Pics to follow this weekend

Going nowhere slowly

coolpop6307

"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

tanktastic43

I take it that you're going to put the Panzer IV turret onto the M113 hull?

Will you be putting the PzIV skirt armour on too?

Looking forward to this.  :thumbsup:

tt43

mkhulu

Will try and keep as much as possible of the Panzer IV hull.

Want to have a sloped front side . Also going to whiff the Panzer IV Ausf D turret - eliminating side hatches.

Maybe then top side hatches for gunner & loader. Commander cupola to stay where it is as on the Panzer IV Ausf D.

Main armament - thought of using a PaK 38 barrel.

Might use some armour panels from a 1/35 Lee M3 Bradley (ye olde clone of the Tamiya kit)

Engine grills from Panzer Ausf D kit also going to be used - must then scratch build exhausts.

Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

1st photo - used the 1/35 Academy KIFV kit instead of a M113.

You will see that I removed (or attempted to remove  ;D ) the splash ring from the Pz IV hull. Used scalpel and then wet sanded it down with 800 sandpaper. Do I now need to PSR in order to remove extremely fine scratches ? Or simply take 1000 then 1200 and wet sand without putty ?

cheers and thanks for help  :thumbsup:
Going nowhere slowly

coolpop6307

What do you think about puting sponson guns on it....Just a thought. ;)
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

mkhulu

Quote from: coolpop6307 on February 04, 2012, 07:54:57 AM
What do you think about puting sponson guns on it....Just a thought. ;)

will not be going for sponson guns - it should look a wee bit realistic ( oh gosh , used the R word  ;D )

Update - need to do some more panzer surgery tomorrow - see pic ! In order to make the Panzer IV top side and KIFV hull a perfect in terms of width.

Hence I will cut out the Panzer IV cooling panels - in my whiff all the engine cooling will be done by a thingamajig / watchamacallit ;D or a Heineken or two...
Going nowhere slowly

Hobbes

Quote from: mkhulu on February 04, 2012, 04:39:36 AM

You will see that I removed (or attempted to remove  ;D ) the splash ring from the Pz IV hull. Used scalpel and then wet sanded it down with 800 sandpaper. Do I now need to PSR in order to remove extremely fine scratches ? Or simply take 1000 then 1200 and wet sand without putty ?

Often, sanding with 800, then 1200 is enough. Putty is only needed if you've made deep cuts with the scalpel that you can't sand down.

mkhulu

Quote from: Hobbes on February 05, 2012, 12:39:12 PM
Often, sanding with 800, then 1200 is enough. Putty is only needed if you've made deep cuts with the scalpel that you can't sand down.

baie dankie , ek gaan vanmiddag daaraan werk ! (Many thanks , I will work on it this afternoon)

Vriendelike groete vanuit Zuid-Afrika  ;D
Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

Progress - removed Panzer IV cooling vents on both sides.

Top side view - tomorrow will tackle front & back end.

Starting to really enjoying this  ;D

Main armament is going to be the 1/35 Tamiya Pak 40 - 7.5cm / L46 anti tank gun. Having thoughts of lengthening the barrel length ...
Going nowhere slowly

Old Wombat

Hope you've made a template for the turret ring, dude! :blink:

I know it's more effort but I think I'd have cut around the turret ring so it stayed intact. ;)

Still, I'm liking where this is going. Any more work done or pic's, yet? :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mkhulu

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 08, 2012, 02:15:51 AM
Hope you've made a template for the turret ring, dude! :blink:

I know it's more effort but I think I'd have cut around the turret ring so it stayed intact. ;)

nope - but ta for the idea  ;D

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 08, 2012, 02:15:51 AM
Still, I'm liking where this is going. Any more work done or pic's, yet? :thumbsup:

:bow:
Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

Right , some progress today - not as much as I hoped for , but at least something  ;D

Remember the big hole at the right front sprocket wheel (evident in 4th photo) - kinda fixed it. Will putty and PSR it tomorrow . Time for the glue and styrene to get comfortable  ;D

Had to remove the KIFV (M113) rear hull drop exit hatch - last time I looked a Panzer IV didn't have one  ;D

Note how I supported the styrene strip

Side view drawing of support ^

A head on view of the rear - used Pratley original 2 part epoxy putty  :banghead:

Thank goodness found a SA supplier of Milliput - hence quickly ordered

Going nowhere slowly

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mkhulu

Major cutting yetserday - realised that driver hatch has to be moved to the middle  ;D

Weekend - aim to finish exhaust , rear end and upper hull

PS - This build reminds me of Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle - I don't know how fast I am going , but I do know where I am  ;D
Going nowhere slowly