Panzer IV / M113 kitbash

Started by mkhulu, February 01, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: frank2056 on March 03, 2012, 09:28:50 AM
unless you're hiring legless or height challenged drivers.

Reminds me of a thesis I once argued as a joke in a Usenet newsgroup about the utility of using legless tank crew.  It would allow a smaller, much more heavily armoured vehicle to be built as the armoured volume would be appreciably smaller.   As the audience were primarily American, they missed my continual references to how beneficial being "legless" would be to tank crew operations.   Eventually when someone from IIRC South Africa piped up and pointed out the joke they twigged I'd been pulling their legs (another bad pun).    :wacko: 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

mkhulu

Not much done this past weekend , but did this right now

Ta for the suggestions - I did move the driver's hatch up a wee bit. Main gun clears it , but barely  ;D

The figure is the 1/35 driver from the Tamiya Ambulance kit - resting his behind on some double sided tape  :lol:  ;D 

The piece of armour in front of the driver's hatch has been angled - no 90 degree angle  ;) Bottom bit to be cut this afternoon.

PSR will commence at approx 1600 SAST - That's 1400 GMT

Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

Used Milliput superfine as putty - I kinda like the smell of Milliput  ;D

Will wait about 24h in order to allow putty to cure sufficiently before I partake in sanding  ;D

Some pics :

Driver's Hatch puttied - not sanded

Hull and Driver's hatch - not sanded also not glued together

Going nowhere slowly

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mkhulu

Glued and then puttied driver's hatch to the tank. Will wait until tomorrow before I do the 'SR in PSR  ;D

Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

PSR again !  ;D

What's the curing time one should allow for Milliput Superfine White ? Temperature dependent ?

Great seeing my 1st whiff slowly taking form  ;D
Going nowhere slowly

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mkhulu on March 07, 2012, 02:47:11 AM

What's the curing time one should allow for Milliput Superfine White ? Temperature dependent ?

Yes, the warmer the better, but it goes very floppy if you apply too much external heat to it.

I always leave the stuff overnght, by which time it's set like concrete! Always leave a small bit of the mix close to the model so you can check how hard it's gone by prodding it, without touching your PSR work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sticky Fingers

Also depends on how thick a layer you applied, I found out.
Your driverstationlocationwhiffination looks real nice, btw! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Great seeing my 1st whiff slowly taking form  ;D

I think Rickshaw is still waiting for some to dry out but then he does live in Australia  :banghead: I'm with Kit, leave it over night.

First wiff ? Taking shape really well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 07, 2012, 07:03:36 AM

Great seeing my 1st whiff slowly taking form  ;D

I think Rickshaw is still waiting for some to dry out but then he does live in Australia  :banghead: I'm with Kit, leave it over night.

First wiff ? Taking shape really well

Grrrr, I gave up on the superfine.  That batch never dried.  I use the yellow-grey only now.  Along with the Vallejo that you put me onto.  They compliment each other rather well.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

mkhulu

Hull PSR finished

Been finding it's quite finicky working with Milliput - but I don't mind  

Don't think I will go the PE route with this one - maybe with a later whiff  

Going nowhere slowly

Old Wombat

Different but interesting & coming alog nicely! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mkhulu

Busy with PSR - nothing worthy of posting a piccie  

Might have found an excuse for breaking my "do-not-buy-anymore-kits-until-you've-finished-one" promise  

Need to buy some stuff at the Big H for this build , and while shopping I might as well buy some kits to feed the stash .... ;D
Going nowhere slowly

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mkhulu on March 12, 2012, 05:48:33 AM
 Need to buy some stuff at the Big H for this build , and while shopping I might as well buy some kits to feed the stash .... ;D

To use one of my daughter's (she's the Best Air Traffic Controller in the RAF, not many people know that.... ;)) favourite phrases 'It would be rude not to'.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit