Panzer IV / M113 kitbash

Started by mkhulu, February 01, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkhulu

Doing PSR on the turret - had the scratch built a new mantlet because I lost the original  ;D

Going to get myself a guillotine this week - then work on the hull can start
Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

Turret PSR completed - finished it last night.

Main gun of whiff also completed - at 10cm in length (1/35) it measures 3.5m in real life ( don't know if this is too long - but hey it's my whiff and it looks good  ;D )

Pics to follow soon .

This build is kind of a biggie for me - 1st time PSR , 1st time building , 1st time airbrushing ....
Going nowhere slowly

Old Wombat

So, I take it the guillotine is for the blood sacrifices to the Modelling Gods? :bow: :wacko: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

mkhulu

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 21, 2012, 01:55:35 AM
So, I take it the guillotine is for the blood sacrifices to the Modelling Gods? :bow: :wacko: :bow:

;D already made a blood sacrifice on Sunday evening - intead of cutting away from myself , I took the scalpel and cut towards me. End result ? Blood !  Had worse - when I got my finger stuck trad climbing 2 years ago. Was a decision between cut rope (fall 20m) / call mountain rescue ...

thank goodness I had extra quick draws - got finger unstuck ( minus a small tip of finger ! )

Setback last evening - need to use Epoxy putty to fix 7.5cm gun in the shortened Panzer IV Ausf D barrel stump.

I guess this reminds me of Herr Nietzsche - that what doesn't destroy me (whiffing wise) makes me stronger  ;D
Going nowhere slowly

mkhulu

The turret and scratch built mantlet has become one ( that sounds tantric !  ;D )

Still some minor PSR'ing on the turret last night

Going nowhere slowly

rickshaw

We need some photos to drool over...   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

mkhulu

Turret PSR finally finished !

Worked on the Panzer IV engine grills / drivers hatch yesterday - basically what I did is to level them with styrene sheet I am using to make upper hull. Some minor PSR performed .

Pics to follow very soon  ;)  ;D
Going nowhere slowly

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mkhulu

Panzer IV Ausf D turret with the 7.5cm Pak 40. The side doors on the Panzer IV Ausf D turret I filled in with styrene cut outs , epoxy putty. The white stuff is dried Tamiya White Puty.

^ Mantlet not attached to turret

Now with the mantlet attached to the turret. Tried scratch building a monocular gunsight. Still to decide on a co-ax MG. Maybe going the IDF route with a MG fixed on top of the main barrel.

Going nowhere slowly

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mkhulu

Little bit of progress today - finished PSR'ing of engine decks - see pic below. Still wet from dunking it in H2O to remove particles.

In order to allow turret to rotate unobstructed , I had to raise the height of the turret relative to the engine grills. Gaps to be PSR'ed this coming week.

With a quick view with the turret , this build reminds me of a Baby Panther tank  ;D

Going nowhere slowly

Sticky Fingers

NARSES2

Going well

Talking of baby Panthers does anyone else remember building a Panzer III from an Airfix Stug III and a cut down Panther turret as described by Chris Ellis in Ye Olde Airfixe Magazine ?  ;D

cataphractarius

Although I'm not that old (though I sometimes feel old as the hills these days...) I actually tried that a couple of years ago, just to see how it might turn out in comparison to a Matchbox one. Somewhat unsurprisingly, I didn't get the Panther turret to look even remotely like the Pz III one; in the end I replaced it with a spare Matchbox one I had lying around.

Airfix Mag - the only modelling mag I really need...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The most dangerous thing in the combat zone is an officer with a map.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit