A WIF or not a Wif that is the question.

Started by Dork the kit slayer, February 01, 2012, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Ive just posted this on another model forum and hope for What Ifs input.

Im sure most modellers are aware that box art on many  kit releases are fanciful especially the more vintage of there number.

However some of them are based in/on factual schemes.  I have seen many "drone" types,target tugs and targets painted in a wide spectrum of schemes (eg: The Hellcats from the atomic bomb tests)

The Panther,Fury,T-33 etc are well documented in very colourful "drone" schemes.

The $64,0000 question: Is there any documented evidence that the scheme below (from a 1950s Hawk kit) is an actual scheme or a flight of fancy by the illustrator.

Its got to be a must for a really cool WIF
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

The Rat

Just did a quick Google image search for various combinations of terms and couldn't find anything like that. If it's real it's a cool scheme, if not it's a whif! You could make it certain by just reversing the colours.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

perttime

Hmmmm...

In other pictures of the kit, it is identified as "Grumman F9F-3KD Drone". As far as I can tell F9F-3KD never existed. There were "F9F-2KD" and "F9F-5KD" drone controllers for controlling "F9F-2D" and "F9F-5D" drones.

At least one site puts the kit in 1965.

I'm quite happy to be proven wrong about this...

Mossie

All I can offer you is Google & my fingers. :blink:  I did a few searches that seem to suggest against it being real.

Firstly, I can't find any reference to a drone conversion of the F9F-3, there were F9F-2KD's & F9F-5KD's, but can't find any F9F-3KD's.
Second, the F-9F3 was a realtively rare bird & insurance incase of failure of the standard engine installtion, seems most of them if not all were converted to F9F-4 standard.
Third, I can't find reference to the Bureau number & it seems earlier than other Panthers.
Fourth, the scheme seems to be an ealier dating to WWII?

Disclaimer:  All this research was done in fifteen minutes on t'web & may in fact be b0llocks. ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: Mossie on February 01, 2012, 06:34:09 AMDisclaimer:  All this research was done in fifteen minutes on t'web & may in fact be b0llocks. ;)

b0llocks is pretty well our stock in trade around here, we couldn't be whiffers without it!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Geoff

RussC

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

perttime

I suppose the thing is: if you want a whif, you want to be reasonably sure it didn't exist in the real world.

:cheers:

pyro-manic

According to this, the serial 10915 falls in a range that was allocated to SBD-5 Dauntless dive bombers:

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries2.html
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

This is actually quite perverse (not suprising considering who started the thread  :wacko: :rolleyes: ;D). Here we all are working quite hard at the research trying to check if something is real or not so we know wether to label it as a wif or not  :banghead: Or am I the only one daft enough to think so ?

A model would still look terrific wether real or not however  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2012, 12:58:38 AM
This is actually quite perverse (not suprising considering who started the thread  :wacko: :rolleyes: ;D). Here we all are working quite hard at the research trying to check if something is real or not so we know wether to label it as a wif or not  :banghead: Or am I the only one daft enough to think so ?

A model would still look terrific wether real or not however  :thumbsup:

ROTFLMAO!!!  ;D ;D ;D

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, that is remarkably daft under the circumstances.  ;D

Perhaps we should recruit a couple of 'tame' JMNs to the Forum just to adjudicate on such matters?  :wacko: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dork the kit slayer

This is actually quite perverse (not suprising considering who started the thread 

Im a pervert NOT perverse ;D ;D ;D..............doh thats what it means dun it...doh again. :banghead:

I wasnt really trying to find if the "actual" aircraft existed re marque or serial only whether the scheme had been used on any "Panther".
Like the general consensus I think its a great scheme and will adorn one of my kits soon. Sun glasses at the ready me 'artys  :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2012, 04:00:15 AM

Hehehe, that is remarkably daft under the circumstances.  ;D

Perhaps we should recruit a couple of 'tame' JMNs to the Forum just to adjudicate on such matters?  :wacko: ;)

Ok, but they cannot access any of the floors above 3rd and none of the subterranean or the catacombs. And they DO NOT get prime parking spots, in fact we'll reserve two next to the dumpster for them.  ;)
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski