A WIF or not a Wif that is the question.

Started by Dork the kit slayer, February 01, 2012, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

Hawk through John Andrews always did have unusual schemes for their models, my own favourite was the 'US Diplomatic Corps' OV.10 Bronco (very 'Air America') ... different  :thumbsup:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Dork the kit slayer

:cheers:
Your so right there "Joe". That said just about every kit manufacturer had a leaning to the more colourful(eye catching) than the historical.Some bordered on the the inhaling of banned substances ( tongue in cheek- Mods and Lawyers please note) Many did however have some basis in observation. I remember as a kid ( old man Simpson mode) getting the Aurora Zero,box art resplendent in bright yellow, as was the plastic.This was sometime around the late 50's and it is only now that colour research into Japanese WW2 colours is leaning towards a caramel (yellowish)type colour. Not,I grant you, vivid yellow..................................................but who knows ( fades out with manic and sinister laughter) :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

The Rat

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 03, 2012, 04:18:35 AM
:cheers:
Your so right there "Joe". That said just about every kit manufacturer had a leaning to the more colourful(eye catching) than the historical.Some bordered on the the inhaling of banned substances ( tongue in cheek- Mods and Lawyers please note) Many did however have some basis in observation. I remember as a kid ( old man Simpson mode) getting the Aurora Zero,box art resplendent in bright yellow, as was the plastic.This was sometime around the late 50's and it is only now that colour research into Japanese WW2 colours is leaning towards a caramel (yellowish)type colour. Not,I grant you, vivid yellow..................................................but who knows ( fades out with manic and sinister laughter) :cheers:

That could be an idea for a group build, or at least a series by some enterprising individual. Look for all the spurious box art we can find, and build the contents just the same way.   :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

RussC

Actually, there is a builder who did indeed build up a set of the old Aurora's, painted as per the box art, with the requisite pairs of 150 lb practice bombs under each wing. The Zero, medium yellow with red details and cowl, just like in the old comic books (hint hint) and the Focke-wulf in black with a yellow cowl, plus the Spitfire in a deep turquoise and the 109 in brilliant Richtofen Red. That maker (Aurora)did have some good artists for the era too and got it right on many other kits, like the P-40 and 1950's jets.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

The Rat

Quote from: RussC on February 03, 2012, 06:23:15 AM
Actually, there is a builder who did indeed build up a set of the old Aurora's, painted as per the box art, with the requisite pairs of 150 lb practice bombs under each wing. The Zero, medium yellow with red details and cowl, just like in the old comic books (hint hint) and the Focke-wulf in black with a yellow cowl, plus the Spitfire in a deep turquoise and the 109 in brilliant Richtofen Red. That maker did have some good artists for the era too and got it right on many other kits, like the P-40 and 1950's jets.

Be nice to see!  And kudos to the man! :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: The Rat on February 03, 2012, 04:59:44 AM

That could be an idea for a group build, or at least a series by some enterprising individual. Look for all the spurious box art we can find, and build the contents just the same way.   :blink:

Not exactly what we were talking about..but pretty fanciful box art.

Radish would most probably incorporate meerkats

Dork the kit slayer

In case some of our younger "Wiffers" dont know what we oldies are rabbiting about.

NARSES2

I've never seen that Airfix Walrus boxing - just love the "punchup" going on, on the straboard wing  :blink: ;D

And don't give Radish any more ideas, he has enough as it is  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

martinbayer

Quote from: TsrJoe on February 03, 2012, 03:07:33 AM
Hawk through John Andrews always did have unusual schemes for their models, my own favourite was the 'US Diplomatic Corps' OV.10 Bronco (very 'Air America') ... different  :thumbsup:

TsrJoe,

was that the "Patrol and Aid Mission Aircraft" boxing shown in this Secretprojects thread http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6305.msg134983.html#msg134983?

Martin

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

TsrJoe

Cheers Martin, thats the one, the kit itself represented a pre production Bronco, indeed iv a second example in its more usual 'Tri Service' scheme  :thumbsup:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Dork the kit slayer

philp

Think the Hawk scheme would look nice on this guys model.

While searching I found this.  Now I gotta get a Hasagawa 72nd Cougar kit.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

raafif

That Airfix Walrus is obviously the VERY RARE "Biggles" edition ;)

I think Aurora MAY have got their artwork right !!!!!  In a book on the attack of Broome, West Australia one witness stated that the Zeros had coloured cowlings -- red & yellow were stated - maybe section ID colours ?

But as no-one else has confirmation maybe he was seeing things :rolleyes:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on February 03, 2012, 04:18:35 AM
This was sometime around the late 50's and it is only now that colour research into Japanese WW2 colours is leaning towards a caramel (yellowish)type colour. Not,I grant you, vivid yellow..................................................but who knows ( fades out with manic and sinister laughter) :cheers:

The Pearl Harbour Museum has the wing tip of a downed Japanese aircraft (not sure if it's a Zero) and where the dark green has worn and exposed the undercoat it is definitely a brown/caramel colour.

Some Japanese naval aircraft, especially formation leaders, were painted in some very garish colours. All down to a case of "follow the leader" whilst navigating to and from the target area.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

The Walrus boxtop is pretty cool, but with the engine in flames like that I'm surprised it's still in the air....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die