Vickers Wellesley B(PR)III

Started by PR19_Kit, February 02, 2012, 01:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Nice but the engine just doesn't look right to me.  Merlin engine?  Fine, not a problem.  It's the Mustang scoop that just looks out of place.   A Fairey Battle nose would have looked "right" and within the right time frame, or failing that, a Lancaster or Beaufighter "power egg". 

Until we got the Merlin Mustangs, we never went for that style airscoop, although after it the RAE were falling over themselves to use it, to the detriment of the Seafire FR47 (it wasn't as efficient as the earlier ones)

Martin, I take it you used the Xtracolour PRU Pink for your PR one?  Too dark, too pinky. Xtracolour bolloxed it up.  It was really an off white and I mixed my own.  5 drops Red Arrows red to one full bottle Xtracrylic White.  Matched the photo of three FRIX Spitfires on the back of the On Target book on PRU Spits.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

It's my model and I had the P-51B engine handy anyway, whereas I've never had a Battle ever. Anyway, the backstory tells how it ended up that shape.

Quite apart from the lack of choice, i LIKE it...............!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

This is one seriously great build and look really good, but aren't the wings a little on the short side for a Kit spackman creation??? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 13, 2012, 05:49:19 AM
Martin, I take it you used the Xtracolour PRU Pink for your PR one? 

Yep, thats what I used.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 13, 2012, 05:49:19 AM
Too dark, too pinky. Xtracolour bolloxed it up.  It was really an off white and I mixed my own.  5 drops Red Arrows red to one full bottle Xtracrylic White.  Matched the photo of three FRIX Spitfires on the back of the On Target book on PRU Spits.

Who says those photos are correct Lee ? Or even if the publisher who printed the book got their colours correct.  Unless you've actually seen a real one it's all guesswork isn't it?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on February 13, 2012, 07:37:52 AM
This is one seriously great build and look really good, but aren't the wings a little on the short side for a Kit spackman creation??? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Yeah, I know, but OGL only had one spare set of wings and the geometry doesn't work unless you change the taper angle.

It scales out at 93 ft span, not too shabby and even more than a PR19a.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

lancer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2012, 01:03:47 PM

Yeah, I know, but OGL only had one spare set of wings and the geometry doesn't work unless you change the taper angle.

So we blame OGL then..no?... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on February 14, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2012, 01:03:47 PM

So we blame OGL then..no?... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why not? He usually blames me........  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 14, 2012, 02:53:39 PM

Thats as it should be LOL. You normally are to blame.........................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on February 15, 2012, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 14, 2012, 02:53:39 PM

Thats as it should be LOL. You normally are to blame.........................

See what I mean?  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Got all the paint on the extended wings of the Wellesley B(PR)III now and she's as good as she's going to get. Something wrong with the colour balance of these two pics, it's really like the previous one I posted with the unpainted wing tips.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

would glueing the net bag that you get oranges in on to a substrate then puting a thin covering over it work kit? ( maybe something like tissue paper simaler to laying up a glider wing maybe?) 
just a suggestion.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

It's got to be very thin in 1/72, my depth micrometer reckons the dents are about 0.3 mm deep! Just one layer of tissue would do that I think.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

That just looks cool! Love it! :mellow: :wub:

Just a question: Those dark "footprint" marks on the wings; did the Wellesley have specific foot-points for walking on the wings, rather than a path?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Vulcan7

wow thats a great looking plane, with a serious wing span  :o :ph34r: :tornado: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"